European and Local elections 2019 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 292
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 5
All the Fine GFAAIELL voting cunts in this country - walking, talking this is fine dogs.

I suppose we'll see how the next election goes, this is some fair criticism of the Green Party:

I'm not too worried about a photoshoot someone appeared at 25 years ago, and hopefully they learnt their lesson about the impossibility of being Green and also pro-business before all else.

While casey doing well is concerning its probably much more concerning that a lovely girls competition winner just walked into the biggest party in europe.

While casey doing well is concerning its probably much more concerning that a lovely girls competition winner just walked into the biggest party in europe.
Who'd have thought Fine Gael were like that eh?

original

#officialbantsparty

I suppose we'll see how the next election goes, this is some fair criticism of the Green Party:
Fair, but kinda irrelevant if you understand that the Greens are a loose coalition of birdwatchers, do-gooders, crusties, vegans and, increasingly, normal citizens who are realising how fucked we all are, and who have only one thing in common - they think the natural world is more important that our petty human concerns

Fair, but kinda irrelevant if you understand that the Greens are a loose coalition of birdwatchers, do-gooders, crusties, vegans and, increasingly, normal citizens who are realising how fucked we all are, and who have only one thing in common - they think the natural world is more important that our petty human concerns
Yeah I get that, but I think they need to actually win enough to make a difference, which means appealing to those who see value in human life.

I don't know where the line on all this is, but I do know that telling all my uncles that they are unimportant won't win their vote. Possibly they are a lost cause and not worth the time but they'll be around for a fair few elections yet.

Yeah I get that, but I think they need to actually win enough to make a difference, which means appealing to those who see value in human life.

I don't know where the line on all this is, but I do know that telling all my uncles that they are unimportant won't win their vote. Possibly they are a lost cause and not worth the time but they'll be around for a fair few elections yet.
I get that too. I think they're doing a better job on this than they used to, I guess we'll see

Did I tell you I went to a Green party meeting once? Back in 2008 or so, was actually thinking I might join up and run as a councillor or something. One meeting was enough to put me off forever (or, well, maybe not forever - but until now anyway)

I'd love to see the Greens adopting some wartime-style rhetoric. "We are in big trouble, and we all need to do our bit" kinda thing. I'd hope that'd counter the usual "IT'S NOT FAIR" whinging (which, it seems, has gone rather badly for SF this election)

I get that too. I think they're doing a better job on this than they used to, I guess we'll see

Did I tell you I went to a Green party meeting once? Back in 2008 or so, was actually thinking I might join up and run as a councillor or something. One meeting was enough to put me off forever (or, well, maybe not forever - but until now anyway)
A friend of a friend got voted in local in Green this election, i'd say he'll be decent. I'm hoping the younger generation won't let the party make the same mistakes as a decade ago.

I'd love to see the Greens adopting some wartime-style rhetoric. "We are in big trouble, and we all need to do our bit" kinda thing. I'd hope that'd counter the usual "IT'S NOT FAIR" whinging (which, it seems, has gone rather badly for SF this election)

as I keep boring people by saying, ESB was founded in 1927 and got started with countrywide electrification during a worldwide depression and trade war with the UK. Going 100% Green is completely possible if the will is there.

I'd love if the arguments being had were "is nuclear a good option or not" rather than idiots trying to pull a GREEN POWER WILL TAX YOUR FLAT WHITES AND AVOCADO TOAST

I'd say the reason the Greens dropped the ball so badly last time was just lack of depth of experience of politics, which they still lack. I hope at least the green surge is enough to cause a decent climate bill to get passed and actually implemented ... and then maybe they'll have enough momentum to build some political muscle

EPP or FES (about 200)
Green (about 85)
ALDE (about 50)
European left (about 30)
A few indies.

this will change but currently

EPP 180 (FG)
FES 145 (labour)
ALDE 109 (FF)
Green 69 (Green)
GEU / Nordic Green Left 39 (sf/Ming)

and not really represent in ireland but giving uk names for reference

ECR 59 (Tories)
EFDD 54 (Brexit)
ENF 58 (UKIP)

here's an interview with Eamon Ryan from 2010 when he
was minster for Transport and Communications for BBC TV
programme Hardtalk :

youtube.com/watch?v=aNCdqip_PTo (part one 14 minutes)
youtube.com/watch?v=8vTPDynVNqw (part two 9;25 mins)

speaking to an international audience he bullshits and
misrepresents the situation in Ireland hoping somehow no
one in Ireland will be watching.

watching at the time i thought this was vile but this is probably
even more detestable now.

Lots of bullshitting on the state of the economy, the Green
party's environmental achievements in government and
near the end when he's asked about the reemergence of mass
emigration in Ireland, Eamon says many East European immigrants
have left, despite being fully aware that's not what he's being asked about.

always hated Toxic Eamon since.

I saw someone call The Green Party "Fine Gael on bicycles", which is pretty accurate in my opinion.

Just this morning on Newstalk, Ciaran Cuffe admitted that the mooted/proposed increases in carbon taxes that everyone is anticipating 'possibly' would not go back into renewable energy etc but just get swallowed up into the general tax take. He predictably spoke of children walking and cycling to school..once again forgetting that most of the population don't live in Dublin. There is talk that there is a growing left movement within the Greens so maybe this time will be different. We'll see.

You can't call yourself Green and not be left unless you want to go full fascist tbh, every other middle to centre right position is still wholly dependent on the growth market somehow solving the problem it causes simply by existing.

Fair enough hating on the Greens, I didn't vote for them for a decade following them going into partnership with Fianna Fáil, but the "Green Wave" is 5.5% of first preference votes at a local level and 10% at an MEP level, 45-50% of the country is still voting for the two main parties who won't give a fuck about the environment until their constituents will.

Just this morning on Newstalk, Ciaran Cuffe admitted that the mooted/proposed increases in carbon taxes that everyone is anticipating 'possibly' would not go back into renewable energy etc but just get swallowed up into the general tax take.
Dude, he has no say in where any extra money from a carbon tax will go. His party are not in government. This isn't an "admission", it's telling it like it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back