Euro 2016 - let's go (1 Viewer)

Was fairly downbeat at full-time as it felt like a big missed opportunity but having watched the highlights back, 1-1 was probably just about right, we dominated the first half but it swung the other way and we couldn't re-impose ourselves on the game. I'm delighted that it was Hoolahan who got the goal, must go down as one of the best Ireland goals at a tournament too. It was classic Ireland to drop deep and stop trying to use the ball after that though. Walters is a major doubt for the other 2 games apparently, serious shame and a big void for us if that's the last of him at this tournament. Robbie and McGeady's anonymous cameos just emphasize how dependent we are on that first 11..

Having just watched the other 2 Group E sides playing, Italy are still the kings of game management (and clever professional fouls) and look very well drilled.. Belgium were a bit of a blunt instrument, they'll be desperate for the win now and if we can prevent them scoring for the first 30-40 minutes on Saturday they might start to panic..

Looking at Sweden tonight, we're pretty much even. A draw in 1 of our next 2 might have to be enough and is quite possible. Italy ran the legs off themselves tonight.

Hungary 2 - 0 Austria is a big surprise, that Austria team were shit hot in qualifying. I feel a bit better about our World Cup 2018 prospects now. Rooting for Iceland at the moment, amazed they're back in it given how deep under the cosh they were in the first half..

Hungary 2 - 0 Austria is a big surprise, that Austria team were shit hot in qualifying. I feel a bit better about our World Cup 2018 prospects now. Rooting for Iceland at the moment, amazed they're back in it given how deep under the cosh they were in the first half..
I only saw the highlights of the Hungary match, looks like they played really well. Hopefully they keep that up and I get some money in the work pool.

The North bag a win, fair play to them, that Ukraine side conceded very few goals in qualifying. The way the groups are panning out I'd be a bit worried that even if we manage three draws it won't be enough to get us through to Round 2, there are 2 groups already with 3 teams on 3 points or more. We really need at least one win to be sure of it.

Croatian fans just cost their team two points, idiots. Steward seemed to get hit by a firework too, hope he's ok.

It looks as though it went off in/near his hand. Hopefully he just had his hand on it, and he wasn't actually holding it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bit Trap-esque so far, disappointing reliance on punting it downfield at every opportunity.. Easy to see why Shane Long is frustrated, marked out of the 1st game and chasing endless lost causes in this one.

Yeah the joy kind of goes out of these tournament qualifications when there's a pummelling in it for you every time. Belgium are obviously a much stronger side but the manner of the defeat is hard to take, negative from the first minute and didn't deserve anything from the game. Win or bust against Italy, odds seem remote at the moment but I hope they have a proper go at least and try to play a bit of actual football.

The way that 2nd French goal happened was horrific, 2 centre backs jumping for the same ball, you can't gift goals like that against superior opposition, was always going to be very tough to claw back into it once we went behind. At least we got 55 minutes where the dream was on, Proud of the way the team played in the last 2 games, when we got the chance there were some proper attacking moves and the younger players really stepped up again. Since the Belgium game there's been a real change of attitude from O'Neill and the players, would love to see them retain that positivity going forward..A year ago I remember getting up at 7am while travelling in Portland USA to watch the dismal 1-1 with Scotland, had given up on the idea of us even reaching the tournament at that point.. since then we've beaten Germany and Italy and given France a good scare, I think you have to call the campaign a success overall. Presumably Keane, Given and O'Shea will step aside now, wonder if Hoolahan, Walters & Murphy will stick around for another go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back