Euro 2012 qualifiers (1 Viewer)

guus should be moved on too, so russia may well be bedding in a new guy. i mean, best case scenario...we can win this group, but it's also a perfect opportunity for best runner up. what we need to do is something that hasn't been done since 01 and that's beat a team ranked higher than us. russia better take it the throat at new lansdowne. we owe them after 2002 anyway. we owe macedonia too. and didn't andorra take the lead at lansdowne? they need a lesson. we played slovakia in a friendly awhile back.. i was at it and it was shit. we have to win these games at home.

It's the first draw in a long time that I didn't greet with the words "ah bollocks" followed by some half-hearted "well, you never know...." type phrases.
After Holland, "golden generation" Portugal, Jorg Stiehl, France, Germany and Italy, finally we get some luck.
We're qualifying for this and that's the end of it.

I predict we end up in the play-offs and get put out by France after Thierry Henry picks the ball up from in front of his own goal and runs down the pitch with it in his hands to throw it into our net, purely by accident, whilst the referee sees nothing and Sepp Blatter pisses himself laughing.

I predict we end up in the play-offs and get put out by France after Thierry Henry picks the ball up from in front of his own goal and runs down the pitch with it in his hands to throw it into our net, purely by accident, whilst the referee sees nothing and Sepp Blatter pisses himself laughing.

Stop living in the past you dullard. It's a good draw alright, if we can learn to take our chances more ruthlessly we should be very optimistic about this.

Hiddink confirms he's leaving the Russia job when his contract expires in June - good news for us!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8513955.stm

Chippy Brady to step down as Ireland assistant:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0213/bradyl.html

Also some reports that Nigeria are trying to lure Trap away with the prize of a World Cup spot:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8510136.stm
Trap himself is denying that he's interested in it, but his agent seems to be actively pimping him out to anybody who comes looking, which is slightly worrying.

Ireland team to face Brazil tomorrow night is apparently:

Given
Kelly
McShane
St Ledger
Kilbane
Duff
Lawrence
Andrews
Whelan
Doyle
Best

Yikes... we could be in for a pasting.

One word makes me not want to watch this match.

McShane.

Duff Lawrence Andrews Whelan, is that the midfield that made France look very ordinary Paris?

Would like to see that midfield really gel and produce that level of performance consistantly.

Still I will not watch a match that features Paul McShane ever again. He's a fucking disgrace.

About the Brazil game- very good first half from Ireland, second half we got progressively worse as they got better, lucky not to end it 3-0 or 4-0 down. I'd take quite a bit of optimism from it though, they were clearly set up to play the same way as in the playoff in Paris with the midfield higher up the pitch, the fullbacks pushing forwards and a more positive approach trying to keep the ball and pass it around. After the hour mark when Whelan and Duff, our best players on the night I reckon, were subbed off we seemed to revert back to the deep-lying standoffish hoof-it-long default plan. Good performance from Stephen Kelly, rest of the defence were predictably shaky with St Ledger & McShane providing comedy cock-ups. McCarthy and Best looked decent when they came on, Brazil were running the show at that stage though.

I find it hard these days to put any stock in friendlies. We were awful in recent times against Poland and South Africa yet still managed to produce superb performances against Italy and France. I did enjoy the first half though, we played some good stuff at times.
It pains me to say it but McShane really shouldn't be in the squad anymore. He's so hapless at times it must be such an inspiration for our opponents. Like in those matches in various far flung locations from times past when we've realised their keeper is dodgy as fuck and the 3 points are there for the taking if we up the pressure.

i was just saying that I'd like to see that Midfield gel and first half it did very well. I'm not talking about McShane or McGeady anymore it bores even me Best worked hard to no avail didn't see much of McCarthy though. I might have been mixing his good work up with Andrews though (didn't have my glasses on). Their second goal was class but it would never have happened in a competitive match someone would have put Traps Italian style of defence to work when they started to carve us open. Dunne and O Shea really are vital. To sum up the midfield gives me hope and the defence fills me with dread.

Just to mirror everyone else the midfield worked well, the first half was great, had their keeper not had such sharp reflexes for Doyle's header and the linesman saw Robinho was offside we could have been 1-0 up at half time.

McShane though was awful and is a liability, everytime they showed replays of him he was on the ground (after throwing himself into a rubbish block) looking around frantically to see where the ball was. Hopefully 'the trap' will boot him out now, Alex Bruce or Gary Cahill or anybody could do a better job.

I'd like to see Wolves Stephen Ward get a call up as well, he plays left back but was a striker with Bohs and has played left midfield too. Surely a current, starting Premier League player should be picked ahead of Premier League squad players or Championship ones????

Or Mike McShane.

George Hamilton had a stat last night saying that Robbie Keane has 41 goals and the closest to him after that has only got 7 goals, if that's true then we need a young goal machine to break into the ranks pretty soon.

Or Mike McShane.

George Hamilton had a stat last night saying that Robbie Keane has 41 goals and the closest to him after that has only got 7 goals, if that's true then we need a young goal machine to break into the ranks pretty soon.
yeah, 7 goals and consider the amoun of caps on the pitch. killer has 103... duffer has a hatful too.

i though stephen kelly looked good. hopefully he's back to fitness now, last time i saw him in green he was bloody awful.

out of all the teams in our group only macedonia won in the recent friendlies...something to be cheerful about perhaps.

Slovakia were beaten one nil at home by Norway...and they would be the team I would be worrried about (along with russia of course)

23-man Training Squad in advance of the upcoming Ireland friendlies announced:

Keiren Westwood
Joe Murphy
Brian Murphy

Stephen Kelly
Eddie Nolan
Paul McShane
Shane Duffy
Kevin Foley
Stephen Ward
Marc Wilson
Darren O'Dea

Keith Treacy
Darron Gibson
Andy Keogh
James McCarthy
Liam Lawrence
David Meyler
Keith Fahey
Paul Green

Caleb Folan
Leon Best
Shane Long
Anthony Stokes

Given the way Trapattoni stuck to his choices from the last training session (Glen Whelan etc) these get togethers seem to have a fair bit of importance attached. Bit surprised that Seamus Coleman of Everton didn't make it though he may well be involved in the playoffs with his loan team Blackpool at that stage. Paul Green is some lad that plays right midfield with Derby County. Good to see Meyler, Fahey, Ward, Duffy and Wilson getting a chance.

great to see him casting the net a bit wider. i imagine he'll bring a couple of them into the main squad, with the rest on standby for the next bunch of qualifiers. suggests to me that some lads who played the last campaign might be on their way out.

andy keogh, though, what can we hope to learn from that?

stephen reid ever gonna play again? or andy for that matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back