Epiphone SG (1 Viewer)

dude its all about what feels good for you. try different sets out.
what i can say is heavier gauge= more tone.
so if youre just playing heavy low riffage then try 12's. if that feels okay then fuck it go to 13s. or id personally recommend getting slinky bottom heavys. these have a heavier gauge e, a, d and a lighter g, b, e.
if you hope to play any solos though you gotta think about staying lighter for that.
hope that helps. as i say try em and see whats cool for your sound and style.

I use 11's because I have a tendency to break a lot of strings.
With heavier gauge strings you lose a lot of brightness so you have to compenstae for this on the amp.

If you are downtuning at all use at least 10's.

dude its all about what feels good for you. try different sets out.
what i can say is heavier gauge= more tone.
so if youre just playing heavy low riffage then try 12's. if that feels okay then fuck it go to 13s. or id personally recommend getting slinky bottom heavys. these have a heavier gauge e, a, d and a lighter g, b, e.
if you hope to play any solos though you gotta think about staying lighter for that.
hope that helps. as i say try em and see whats cool for your sound and style.

I used them for a bit.Found them really wierd to play with.ended up just going back to using 11's.
Whatever works for you though.

Stevie Ray played 13's and could bend like a lunatic.

Yeah he sure could. I find the heavier strings and the higher the action always give you a better tone but it can be very punishing when you're not used to it.

I love listening to SRV, sometimes more for the tone he could get than the playing itself. I've been told he mainly played through a '62 fender twin that he got his amp tech to extensively modify, i'm sure fender have released a signature amp but i've never heard anyone else get a sound like it.

Get Zak Wylde Boomer .11's. the EAD on em are the thickest strings ive ever seen. tough to get over here but if you see em get em. the heft off em is amazing.

I have to say,if they are hard to get then I would avoid them. You don't wanna get really used to them and then need some and not be able to find any. Especially something like strings.

i must say as well that up until recently it didnt matter a stink what strings i had on my guitar. id just go into the shop and ask for "guitar strings".
then i became a roady and it all became clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back