ENNIO MORRICONE - IMMA, 28th July (1 Viewer)

Ennio Morricone public interview and JDIFF Volta award at the Light House Cinema, Dublin on Sunday July 28th.

Light House Cinema and Jameson Dublin International Film Festival, in association with Pod Entertainment, are delighted to announce that legendary composer, Ennio Morricone will take part in a public interview and Q&A on Sunday July 28th at the Light House Cinema, Smithfield. This once in a lifetime event takes place the morning after the first of his two almost sold-out concerts at the Irish Museum of Modern Art, Royal Hospital, Kilmainham. The Italian maestro will discuss his extraordinary career as a film composer and receive a Volta Award from Jameson Dublin International Film Festival in recognition of his extraordinary contribution to film. The event will be followed by a screening of The Mission.

Morricone’s first ever public interview in the Republic of Ireland is an unmissable opportunity to hear the composer discuss his astounding achievements with Sir Christopher Frayling, a British writer and critic who has written at length about the master’s work and is also the author of the definitive biography of Film Director Sergio Leone. Those lucky enough to get tickets will also have an opportunity to ask the cinema legend questions during a Q&A session following the interview. This intimate event is the only opportunity for Irish fans to hear one of cinema’s greatest artists discuss his life, career and legacy.

The Jameson Dublin International Film Festival established the Volta Award in 2007 as Ireland’s Premier Film Award, named after Dublin’s first cinema which was established by James Joyce. Annually the Volta is awarded to figures who have made a major contribution to film globally. In the past its recipients include Daniel Day-Lewis, Kristen Scott Thomas, Al Pacino, Paolo Sorrentino, Martin Sheen, Joss Whedon, Danny DeVito, Costa Gavras and Francois Ozon.

The festival is delighted to bestow this award upon Ennio Morricone, the first outside of the festival, in recognition of his peerless contribution to world cinema.

Andrew Lowe of the Light House cinema said “We are really delighted and honoured to have the opportunity to introduce an artist of the stature of Ennio Morricone in person to the Light House audience. Our customers have enthusiastically embraced the season of Morricone films that we are currently playing, recognising his genius in the exquisite scores of each of those films. We are very grateful to Sir Christopher Frayling for hosting the interview and to our partners at Jameson Dublin International Film Festival and Pod Entertainment who helped make this event possible.”

Grainne Humphreys, JDIFF Festival Director said “Ennio Morricone has delighted generations of filmgoers around the world, his film scores bringing a dynamism and passion to work of legendary filmmakers such as Leone, Pasolini and Malick. The festival has made an exception to present its treasured Volta Award to a film composer who has changed the way we experience cinema- Maestro Morricone.”

The five-time Oscar nominee has scored several hundred films, the best known being Sergio Leone’s westerns including “For A Few Dollars More” and “The Good The Bad and the Ugly” alongside other classics: “The Untouchables”, “The Mission”, “Cinema Paradiso” and more recently Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” and before that “Kill Bill”. In 2007 the Oscars presented him with an honorary award for his “magnificent and multifaceted contributions to the art of film music.”

Morricone has worked in almost every musical style and medium imaginable. Although the westerns were only a phase of Morricone’s expansive career, many consider his work in this field his best and most innovative. Morricone amplified the cinematic atmosphere with his ingenious use of diverse arrangements and instrumentation. The compositions for the Sergio Leone’s westerns were created through multiple mediums such as Jew’s harps, dissonant harmonicas, dancing piccolos, bombastic church organs, eerie whistling, thundering trumpets alongside ballads for gunslingers and ghostly vocal choruses.

To celebrate his concerts in Dublin, Light House Cinema has been showing a selection of films featuring his most iconic scores. Still to come as part of the Ennio Morricone season are Once Upon A Time In The West (from July 24th), The Mission (from July 31st) and Cinema Paradiso (from August 7th). Tickets for these films are available from www.lighthousecinema.ie

Date: Sunday, July 28th

Time: Doors open 1030am. Seats must be taken by 1045am. Event starts at 11am sharp.

Tickets for the event are available from

http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&eventCode=10643 or from the box office at the Light House Cinema, Smithfield. Limit two per customer.

POD present

ENNIO MORRICONE

Royal Hospital, Kilmainham

Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th July 2013

Music dynamo will be bringing the golden age of cinema to Kilmainham

Temperatures will be coming to a crescendo this coming Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th July for iconic Italian composer, conductor and orchestrator Ennio Morricone and the Roma Sinfonietta Orchestra. Ahead of their weekend of musical enchantment taking place at the charming Royal Hospital Kilmainham, concert attendees should come prepared for occasional showers and cloud whilst temperatures continue to hit the early 20s.

Acknowledged as the defining film composer of our time with credits on such films as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Mission and most recently Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, there is no doubt this will be one cultural experience that will captivate the audience and hopefully, harmonise mother nature. Gates open at 5.30 pm with a screening of Cinema Paradiso from 6PM and the performance will begin in the region of 8:15pm – 8:30pm. Please note this is a fully seated outdoor event and organisers recommend people attending dress weather appropriate.

Amongst the musical delights there will be a medley of foodie offerings to tantalise concert goers’ taste buds. The gourmet line-up will range from flavoursome goat cheese tartlets and freshly made gourmet salads to hot Dexter roast beef and Ballymoney honey roast ham rolls as well as delicious 6oz steak burgers and pulled pork sandwiches. There will also be treats from around the world in the form of sumptuous Spanish paella, fragrant Thai noodles and curries. There will something for the sweet tooth with soothing sorbet and ice cream as well as sweet crepes, delicious fresh strawberries and melted Belgian chocolate.

As there is no onsite parking, organisers recommend people use public transport and allow themselves plenty of time to travel to the venue. There are still a limited number of tickets left for the weekend performances which are available through Ticketmaster.

*Please note Ennio Morricone will be holding a public interview and screening of The Mission at the Lighthouse Cinema on Sunday 28th July 2013 from 11am. Fans and admirers alike can use this opportunity to get an insight into Ennio Morricone’s work and life by the man in person. Sure to be a spectacular experience for any lover of Ennio Morricone’s, the public can get tickets for this event from The Lighthouse Cinema at http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/ or 01 8728006

-Traffic plan and how to get there -

1.There will be no parking available at or in the vicinity of the Royal Hospital Kilmainhan, please avoid illegal parking. Mobility Impaired: vehicles with a disability badge will be permitted to approach the concerts via Military Road or Bow Lane where they will be directed to the East Gate and from there to the Disabled Car Park. Accessible Sanitary facilities will be provided.

2.Pedestrian accessto the concert venue is through the East Gate via Military Road only on South Circular Road.

3.Public Transport:

By Luas: Take Red Line to Hueston St and it is 10 minute walkd to East Gate entrance via Military Road .Check www.luas.ietimetable,

By Bus: Buses to James St (5 min walk via steps to Bow Lane onto Irwin St and Military Rd): 123 from O’Connell St /Dame St; 51B/78A from Aston Quay.

Taxi: By taxi you will be directed to the East Gate via Military Road, from here it is a 5 minute walk. The West Gate will act as the dedicated emergency route. Emergency services access will be maintained at all times for both resident population and the event.

-MET EIREANN WEATHER -

Saturday: ‘A day of sunny spells and scattered showers… Munster and Connacht likely to see the majority of the showers’

Sunday: ‘Sunny spells and scattered heavy thundery showers across the country…Highest temperatures 17 to 22 degrees Celsius’

This was pretty cool, lovely weather, Cinema Paradiso before the concert, good music.
Sound was great, visual screens should have been 10 foot higher though, and they could have been.
Looking out the window now, shit one for anybody with tickets for today!

Luckily it didn't rain during the actual performance last night, stayed in the pub until about half an hour before he came on. I love Cinema Paradiso but wasn't going to sit in the pouring rain watching it.

The concert itself was terrific. Gig of the year.

It was spitting for about an hour before the performance but by the time everyone was seated the rain was done for the night... Wonderful event... very few twits obsessing over capturing the whole thing on their gadgets or insisting on talking through the whole thing ( probably helped that I was in a posh seat )... Great cross section of music including the predictable and the not so predictable... "Here's To You" from Sacco e Vanzetti was a wonderful and unexpected ending...

...obviously, we could probably all pick our own Morricone sets and each would differ significantly...

This was pretty cool, lovely weather, Cinema Paradiso before the concert, good music.
Sound was great, visual screens should have been 10 foot higher though, and they could have been.
Looking out the window now, shit one for anybody with tickets for today!

Yeah, it was great. I thought it ended quite early though, and the choice of encores was unusual (don't want
It was spitting for about an hour before the performance but by the time everyone was seated the rain was done for the night... Wonderful event... very few twits obsessing over capturing the whole thing on their gadgets or insisting on talking through the whole thing ( probably helped that I was in a posh seat )... Great cross section of music including the predictable and the not so predictable... "Here's To You" from Sacco e Vanzetti was a wonderful and unexpected ending...

...obviously, we could probably all pick our own Morricone sets and each would differ significantly...

We didn't get "Here's to You" on Saturday, but it was still amazing - The orchestra were something else. Ecstacy of Gold, The theme from The Scicilian Clan and Giù la Testa (Sean Sean!) from Fistful of Dynamite were my favourites. Slightly unusual choice of encores though - repeats of Ecstasy of Gold and The Mission. They could have fit in something else earlier instead. But still, amazing night..

...Same tracks were repeated for parts of the encore on Sunday... I'm sure there's a very considered reason for it - there are many people who've never delved deeply into Morricone and there are obsessive afficionados... the former would probably be happy with hearing what they know twice ( and leave ) and the later will always nitpick that they didn't get a taster of La Califfa, I Figli Chiedono Perche, Exorcist II, The Endless Game or whatever... how do you compromise??

...also worth remembering that a lot of the famous signatures - early Spaghetti westerns etc - are made up of shorter soundbites and would be somewhat wasted on a full orchestral set-up... although I've no doubt that many would disagree with this...

...read a few unmemorable gripes from various sources today by people who were probably peeved on account of the weather and determined to find something wrong with the evening... it is always for the greater good that these people stay on the golf course where they belong...

...Same tracks were repeated for parts of the encore on Sunday... I'm sure there's a very considered reason for it - there are many people who've never delved deeply into Morricone and there are obsessive afficionados... the former would probably be happy with hearing what they know twice ( and leave ) and the later will always nitpick that they didn't get a taster of La Califfa, I Figli Chiedono Perche, Exorcist II, The Endless Game or whatever... how do you compromise??

...also worth remembering that a lot of the famous signatures - early Spaghetti westerns etc - are made up of shorter soundbites and would be somewhat wasted on a full orchestral set-up... although I've no doubt that many would disagree with this...

...read a few unmemorable gripes from various sources today by people who were probably peeved on account of the weather and determined to find something wrong with the evening... it is always for the greater good that these people stay on the golf course where they belong...

Absolutely. I was there with my Mam and she thought it was amazing. When Gabriel's Oboe came on, she was saying it was like being at the biggest wedding in the world.

Ecstasy of Gold was a bit fast, but still immense. I didn't really need to hear it twice though. I'd rather he saved it for the encore, and played the Trio in place of it (which I reckon is a better piece than Ecstasy of Gold anyway). Maybe he doesn't have the effects/organ/etc to manage it live, although I don't think that would stop him at all.
Also would have loved to hear sixty seconds, would have been incredible to hear that organ blasting out. I'd love to see Morricone do a concert somewhere with an organ.I thought the Fistful of Dynamite one was class too, such a great piece.

I thought "Here's to you" was a bit cheesey and was disappointed there was no Chi Mai

I really enjoyed it but being outdoors and so far away from the stage I felt it lost a bit of atmosphere. The sound was fantastic but people were milling about throughout the entire show

But Ecstasy of Gold was immense so I'm happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back