Emigration (1 Viewer)

::clef::emigration. emigration. emigration, that's what you need. If you wanna be the best, and stand out from the rest, then emigration's what you need.
If you wanna be an emigratorrrrrr - yeah!::clef::

(to the tune of the end song of record breakers).

The Guardian is fairly shocking though for the auld fact checking. Portuguese rule ended in Angola in 1975 not 60 years ago. Have you ever noticed when they've an article about a topic you're familiar with there are factual inaccuracies? Couple that with the myriad of spelling errors in every edition I'm surprised anyone reads the blasted thing. That's speaking as someone who reads the blasted thing.

you mean written in bigger letters?

No, not really. More like in its impact and coverage.
11% would be a significant population displacement and I would have thought that a story like that would have attracted greater scrutiny.

But, also bigger letters. Like its own headline and stuff.

Fourth time trying to reply here. The figures from wikipedia indicate a rate of about half the figure mentioned in the linked article but the 2nd figure on the page is a preliminary number and not a final figure. 10% is enormous, the worst I read before in recent years was Latvia with 2 or 3%.

Unless the 9 who say behind consists of:
2 retired people
2 people under the age of 18
1 unemployed social welfare recipient
2 employed taxpayers

And I think my estimated taxpayer ratio is probably too high, especially for Greece as an article I read recently stated that income tax in Greece is on a self-declaration basis, that a very high percentage of employed Greeks claim that their earnings are below the tax threshold (and therefore pay no tax) and that no auditing procedure is in place.

Their welfare funded pension amount is based on a percentage of their salary at retirement, so that year declared income shoots up in the majority of cases.

I'll look out the article when I get home later and post a link if I can. It was very interesting reading.

look at it this way, for every one who leaves, nine stay behind. that's loads.

But that's only in a single year. The worst decade in living memory for emigration from Ireland was the 1950s. In every year of that decade 40,000 people left, not a big deal, but 400,000 is. That 11% level of a fall in a single year is probably unheard of outside of a warzone or natural disaster area.

very clumsily worded. Lots of kids are more than happy to get away for a year or 2 and it was those he was referring to. And though thats a large number of overall emigrant numbers, those not in that number will be pretty sick by what he said.

hes a clown. He should have kept his mouth shut

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back