elocution or how to talk proper (1 Viewer)

give me that doobie, you crazy picnic floobie.

picnic's a deadly word! i love the way some days words become deadly... picnic bear. "aahhhh, cobras!"

rubble is a deadly word. so is blubu, flubu, and snusnu. bold is a good word too. what's butter hohum? sounds mad...

one's when you're ridin' and your mickey pops out when it's not supposed to and i don't know what the other one is...
spectraljanitor said:
here, whats the difference between a spoonerism and a malapropism?

spectraljanitor said:
here, whats the difference between a spoonerism and a malapropism?
Oh yeah, i'd forgotten about this...
[size=+1]MALAPROPISM[/size] Named for Mrs. Malaprop, a silly woman who used big words in wrong ways in Sheridan’s The Rivals (1775), a malapropism is the ludicrous substitution of a wrong word for the right one, as in He’s a deciduous [instead of the intended assiduous] worker. Inexperienced people trying to stretch their vocabularies too fast are likely to stumble into malapropisms, and authors from Shakespeare on have amused us with their pedants and bumpkins who confidently confuse one long word with another. Many of us sometimes deliberately create malapropisms just for fun, but inadvertent malapropisms, as when someone writes that a potentially explosive situation has been diffused (rather than defused) or when someone confuses entomology (insects) with etymology (word history), can be serious embarrassments. See [size=-1]MIXED METAPHORS[/size] and entries for any of these pairs: [size=-1]PERPETRATE/PERPETUATE[/size]; [size=-1]PERQUISITE/PREREQUISITE[/size]; [size=-1]PERMISSIBLE/PERMISSIVE[/size].

The Lord is a shoving leopard.[size=-1]ATTRIBUTION:[/size]William A. Spooner (1844–1930), British clergyman, Warden of New College, Oxford. Attributed to Spooner; thus the term “Spoonerism.”
Spooner's Spoonerisms

fighting a liar - lighting a fire
you hissed my mystery lecture - you missed my history lecture
cattle ships and bruisers - battle ships and cruisers
our queer old Dean - our dear old Queen
we'll have the hags flung out - we'll have the flags hung out

...is this overkill...:eek:

so its like when i was trying to be smart years ao (i've given up now!) when talking to an australian and referring to someting as antedeluvian when i meant antipodean....:eek:

insidious avian amphibian amphetamines
Spenser's censors' censures
close-cropped curls
self-stultifyingly eristic flummoxed skink

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back