Elden Ring 😲 (1 Viewer)

pissypants

Anyone else been playing this?
Got it yesterday on early delivery. So good. Ultimately it seems like it's going to be Dark Souls meets Breath Of The Wild. And character / story wise it's clear why George R.R. Martin was on the payroll. Something feel really fresh about it though. Maybe it's the balance of awe and discovery with being possibly seconds away from a punishing death at the next turn.

Not that I’m buying any games until I get through my backlog. Is what I keep telling myself.

I'm about 21 years behind at this point. I think the most recent game i played that wasn't a puzzle or word game was Wii Bowling in ehhhh 2006??

never played either of them….
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Imagine a gigantic sprawling gaming world full of infinite nooks and crannies where various creatures / quests lie. You're riding along minding your own business when this happens.

But you can't just mash "shoot" at the dragon. You have to learn it's behaviour. Learn it's tells of the attacks it's about to do. Learn how to counter and dodge them. One of the main mechanics is dodging and blocking. You have to learn to execute these perfectly at the right moment or you will die again and again. Any time you die you drop all of your in-game money, and you must get back to where you died, collect it, and live to tell the tale if you wish to keep it.

You will die a lot in these games. Dying, and general hardship, are at the core of all the Souls games. For example, in Demon Souls, and others, you start off as fully human, but the first time you are killed (and you *will8 die 1000s of times in these games) it means you are now an undead being - and so you health bar has a "lock" at 75% of what it was when you were alive. It's very hard to remove this lock, but you can become human again. If you die again, you're health goes back down. In Dark Souls 2 it actually keeps chipping off your Max health every time you die. Through most of your experience of the game that 75% locked max health will taunt you from the top corner of the screen. This is a game where even the game UI is even holding up two fingers at you the entire time.

The game basically wants you to be afflicted by misery, to wallow in it until you gain the strength - through your own rising skill at playing, and the upgrades on offer, to climb up out of this pit and ascend to greatness. It's also what makes the moment you beat one of the many "impossible" game bosses completely euphoric, unlike any other gaming experience.

Last edited:
I’m at about 85% through Horizon Zero Dawn which should give you an idea of how bad my backlog is.

I’m at about 85% through Horizon Zero Dawn which should give you an idea of how bad my backlog is.
My wife loved this game. Started playing the sequel Horizon: Forbidden West just about 2 weeks ago. Elden Ring came out last Thursday and that's all she's played since, Horizon back in the box, possibly heading for CEX.

Apart from being a great game, Zero Dawn has the benefit of having a pretty good story to tell. I’ll pick up Forbidden West in a few years I’m sure.

But yeah swords and dragons? I dunno.
I'm not really a swords and dragons guy myself either, but the gameplay transcends the genre. I guess some of those swords and dragons tropes sneak in because of the central Guard/Attack/Parry combat system. If anything the boss fight monsters in these Fromsoft games are usually more about bodyhorror or Lovecraftian monstrosities the size of the Ballymun flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back