Elaborately Packaged Music (1 Viewer)

Fancy packaging

• Total voters
Jack White's Lazaretto "Ultra LP" Contains Hologram in Vinyl, Tracks Hidden Under Labels, More Fun Stuff | News | Pitchfork

180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the outside in
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

it actually looks kind of deadly:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So,how's the music?

Most of those gimmick's have been done before,not all at once admittedly.

Well more handmade aproach doesnt necessarily mean lower qaulity becuase professional printing industry itself wont always reach a high standard i think the normal thing is a three colour or three tone mix the same as a newspaper.
So diy method doesnt have to be shit or crapy.

Kabinboy 7" with devloped photo
Kabinboy, The - The Kabinboy (Vinyl) at Discogs
Joan of Arse lp with plant material on the front
Joan Of Arse - Distant Hearts, A Little Closer (Vinyl, LP) at Discogs
Nut and bolt 2x cassette
Doc Wör Mirran - Clubfoot & Vicious (Cassette) at Discogs

Last edited:
Are you gonna get it Anthony?

I got this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My copy of this record arrived today
hey shane, that yeast culture lp is one of my all-time favourites! there was a box set of the source tapes released earlier this year also (well, they were also released as part of a special edition of the lp reissue) ... my release of the year, hands down (but maybe listening to 6 hours of picking leaves, snapping twigs and digging up roots isn't everyone's kinda thing, their loss though!). i haven't seen the reissue but the original lp isn't at all unwieldy. basically just a screenprinted handmade gatefold with leaves and branches from the tree used in the recordings stuffed into one of the pockets (i got my copy second hand though and it was missing the leaves and branches). if you like the lp, the shit on a shingle set released last year is also excellent (but sounds very different ... kinda rough 80's cassette noise vibe instead of the cage 'cartridge music' vibe of iys)

i'm all for elaborate handmade packaging ... e.g. yeast culture/petri supply, caroliner ... and yeah, fogarty and eilis did some awesome stuff with bullets, tremors, etc a few years back, particularly that black wind cdr. i'd love to own some of those msbr and/or g.r.o.s.s. releases with the special packaging but don't feel like forking out big bucks on discogs to track down copies ... maybe some day if i'm blingin'. beyond a few notable exceptions though (revenant charley patton and albert ayler boxes, dust-to-digital sets), i don't really care about expensive fancy-looking boxes/packages e.g. vinyl-on-demand or any number of metal "die-hard" editions ... i can live without an inquisition goat-leather keyring for instance

Not quite as elaborate physically but original copies of Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads came in this fancy design by Robert Rauschenberg

“I approached Bob Rauschenberg in the mid-’80s to design a cover…I had recently seen some of his black-and-white photo collages at Leo Castelli’s gallery on West Broadway and thought they were amazing, and I wondered what he would do with an LP cover,” Byrne wrote in an op-ed obituary for the artist, published as Bob The Builder in the New York Times in May, 2008.

Rauschenberg agreed, but didn’t simply want to provide an illustration for the standard 12” cardboard sleeve. “His package consisted of a conceptual collage piece in which the color separation layers — the cyan, magenta and yellow images that combined to make one full-color image — were, well, deconstructed. Only by rotating the LP and the separate plastic disc could one see — and then only intermittently — the three-color images included in the collage. It was a transparent explication of how the three-color process works, yet in this case, one could never see all the full-color images at the same time, as Bob had perversely scrambled the separations.”

Robert_rauschenberg_speaking_in_tongues_talking_heads.jpg

talk2.jpg

most of them have apparently rotted though and go a fairly horrible yellow/brown colour

spec_talk_heads_sit_c.jpg

hey shane, that yeast culture lp is one of my all-time favourites! there was a box set of the source tapes released earlier this year also (well, they were also released as part of a special edition of the lp reissue) ... my release of the year, hands down (but maybe listening to 6 hours of picking leaves, snapping twigs and digging up roots isn't everyone's kinda thing, their loss though!). i haven't seen the reissue but the original lp isn't at all unwieldy. basically just a screenprinted handmade gatefold with leaves and branches from the tree used in the recordings stuffed into one of the pockets (i got my copy second hand though and it was missing the leaves and branches). if you like the lp, the shit on a shingle set released last year is also excellent (but sounds very different ... kinda rough 80's cassette noise vibe instead of the cage 'cartridge music' vibe of iys)

i'm all for elaborate handmade packaging ... e.g. yeast culture/petri supply, caroliner ... and yeah, fogarty and eilis did some awesome stuff with bullets, tremors, etc a few years back, particularly that black wind cdr. i'd love to own some of those msbr and/or g.r.o.s.s. releases with the special packaging but don't feel like forking out big bucks on discogs to track down copies ... maybe some day if i'm blingin'. beyond a few notable exceptions though (revenant charley patton and albert ayler boxes, dust-to-digital sets), i don't really care about expensive fancy-looking boxes/packages e.g. vinyl-on-demand or any number of metal "die-hard" editions ... i can live without an inquisition goat-leather keyring for instance

I only listened to the Yeast Culture one once and mentally flagged it as one to sell on again (except there was a skip on it so maybe I can't). Maybe I'll give it another go but I doubt I'll buy the boxset with 6 additional hours of rustling noises or Shit on a Shingle.

I am a fan of Caroliner's packaging alright. Mine have been packed away in the parents house the last couple of years but I seem to recall them being easy enough to open and play. Maybe the one wrapped in adult nappies was tricky, I forget now. Their LPs were dirt cheap too.

Are you gonna get it Anthony?
No. I'm not the completist I used to be. Plus the album it's based on (their latest studio double album) isn't that good. Well, maybe I'll get one of the live CD only version just so I can hear those songs in a different way, I don't like the production on the actual album.

I only listened to the Yeast Culture one once and mentally flagged it as one to sell on again (except there was a skip on it so maybe I can't).
i don't know about the reissue but jacket holding the original lp was screenprinted on the inside and outside so it's impossible to find a "mint" copy. i put mine into a regular paper jacket after getting it. it has a few pops, etc but nothing drastic. unless the skip is fairly extreme, i don't think it would affect you selling it on. it's part of the package.

yeah, the caroliner lp's are grand to open and play. the nappy one is a little tricky but nothing major

i don't know about the reissue but jacket holding the original lp was screenprinted on the inside and outside so it's impossible to find a "mint" copy. i put mine into a regular paper jacket after getting it. it has a few pops, etc but nothing drastic. unless the skip is fairly extreme, i don't think it would affect you selling it on. it's part of the package.

yeah, the caroliner lp's are grand to open and play. the nappy one is a little tricky but nothing major
It got stuck in a loop at one point with a loud pop each time it went round. I had to knock it on a bit myself to get past it. Maybe a few more plays might sort it out.

Have you listened to all your records?

Ha, I just wondering if there was a backlog you hadn't got round to yet
nah, i haven't had the funds to buy a whole lot in the past while. i have a merzbox en-route from new york though (finally took the plunge after 10/15 years dilberation; also a major cause of the no-funds/no-record purchases situation although i did get it relatively cheap) so there's going to be a motherfucker of a backlog for the next while i'd imagine

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back