EL84 question for moose (1 Viewer)

Kermit McDermott

Or anyone who knows about these things

I was playing through my laney LC30 pretty loud, on the drive channel with a clean boost on and at times it was cutting in and out. First time this has happened. Its a 30 watt amp running 4 el84 power tubes. Are el84's based amps prone to this or could it be something else? I hope it's nothing as I'm really liking the sound of this amp.

obviously @moose knows more then me about these things, but what you're describing sounds like what my old Orange did when the tubes were failing.

The thing i didn't know about el84s is that it doesn't matter haw hard you drive the amp, they're on 100% all the time. An el34 will work as hard as you drive it, so as long as you're not running it flat out allthe time, it's not working at 100%. Consequently you go through el84s quicker.

No idea really but would guess tubes or another component failing. Does it cut out without the boost in front of it? If it's just with the boost then I'd wager preamp tube going, if without could be either. Best bet as always is to bring it to a tech and get it looked at properly.

Okay, thanks chaps. So it could be a tube. I only have it a few months but I did buy second hand. Don't EL34s go a blue-ish colour where they're on the way out. Is it the same with EL84s? What should I look for?

You may very well see some visual clues with the tube, dimming etc. CAn you see the tube while its' cutting out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back