eircom!!! (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
i've just spent half an hour on the phone trying to get an account changed from my old flatmates' name over to mine, which i eventually managed to do, but only after experiencing the stupidest call answering system i've ever heard.

when you ring up, the automated voice thing that answers the phone is recorded so that it 'sounds like a real person'. this voice asks for your account details in the oh-so-slightly-patronising tone that the president of the world might take if they were talking to a down syndrome turtle, and it only gets worse after that. the recorded voice sounds like some slick car salesman, or actually, more like some dublin 4 p.d. councillor called tarquin. it says things like "i'll just get some details from you", and "i'll need to get your phone number. can you say it?" (you then have to say your phone number out loud and it goes "i'll just confirm that. is it 1234567?", and you have to say "yes" to the fucking machine like a fool).

worst of all is when the automated system finally runs out of options, tarquin says "i don't actually deal with that kind of query myself, but i can put you through to a representative who does" - like anyone fucking believes that they're talking to a real fucking person!

then, after this roundabout way of getting your details (why not just punch them in on the keypad? like every other automated answering system in the known world? what is wrong with that? at least you don't sit there feeling like an idiot for talking to a machine), you're put through to a holding queue. of course, tarquin pops in and out of the vivaldi every couple of minutes to say things like "your query is important to us; please hold and one of our representatives blah blah blah blah".

then, when you finally get through to one of the the minimum wage slave 'representatives' sitting in a badly-lit mega-office in lucan, they completely ignore the whole charade (and who could blame them) and ask you for your details again, like any other call-answering system. aaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

the worst thing about all of this is that the whole stupid eircom system has obviously been sold to the managers there as a way to reduce caller confusion, but it's actually only likely to increase the confusion. some older callers might still be confused by a disembodied voice telling them to punch their number in, but a whole new generation is going to be baffled by tarquin and his ilk. i also had to ring esb for the same thing. they weren't much better, but at least they had the cop-on to keep their recordings sounding like machines (and have you put your account number in via the keys on your phone), not trying to disguise it as a superconfident alpha male who just loves telling you about how much he wants to deal with your query. why? why? why? ? ?

I've just spent about 5 months trying to get them to do a line check so I can find out if I can get broadband,only to be told i'm in a "black spot" and am unable. At this point I truly believe they are telling lies and just can't be bothered. Unfortunately I'm stuck unable to get broadband. changed my phone line a while ago already. Fuckers.

Ho ho ho ho I hope you can see the funny side of it all.

It is an utterly ludicrous system though. It's *exactly* like when people try to make synths sound like strings, and they sound shite, instead of just (a) using the real thing or (b) accepting the synth for what it is and using it thuswise. Maybe if you explain it to eircom like that they'll understand.

friend of my ma's was trying to get information on cork trains from one of them systems the other day... no matter how many times she said 'cork' it couldn't understnad her, till she had a brainwave, put on her culchie head, and shouted 'CARK' down the phone.. and away it went happy as larry.. to get it to understand 'mallow', however, she had to get an actual inhabitant of mallow to talk to it

ah voice recognition technology. it can only improve.

Can anyone provide a number for one of these here systems? It sounds like a bit of a laugh*...once I don't end up committing myself to anything mind

*when one isn't actually trying to get something done

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=123997289&p=yz3997966&n=123997968

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eircom wins innovation award
[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 04/01/2005 - 14:50:48[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] eircom has won the "Most Innovative Use of Technology" award at the Irish Contact Centre Awards for its implementation of the Genesys Voice Platform and the Scansoft speech recognition engine to its '1901' freefone customer service.

The Genesys Voice Platform and Scansoft engine have enabled the company to ensure first time call resolution without internal transfers or double-handling of calls.

Eircom is the first organisation to have developed a speech recognition solution adapted to the Irish accent, while its 1901 service handles 100,000 calls per week.

"We're delighted to be recognised in this way by the contact centre industry," commented Dervilla Mullan, head of automated communcations, eircom.
[/font]

Ha you should try phoning NTL in the North, what a bunch of fucking morons. They kept telling us they couldn't upgrade our internet connection to broadband, only for us to discover in the next phone bill that we'd had it for a month but they were just denying it. Fuckin dicks.

Do a Google search for Dear Cretins, you'll find this amazing letter that was originally written to NTL slabbering at them. This letter is famous, it is actually used now in some call centre training schemes! The best thing about it is that it was actually written by a guy I used to work with, he writes these letters to companies all the time. He wrote one to Cadbury's complaining about Strawberry Roses one time, he does it as a piss-take when he is bored in work only to be actually offered compensation of some sort, what a bunch of morons!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back