Egg Nog and what not (1 Viewer)

broken arm

Im going to make some of this wacky stuff this year. Has anyone tried it. Is it session material or one tipple and your toppled?

also I want to find more food-and-drinkesque traditions from all over the world to try out. Does anyone have anymore to add to the list?

Glogg (Danish Christmas drink)
THis is good for dodgy " I ate too much and now I'm sore" tummy

Essence
1 Cinnamon stick
5 Whole Cloves
4 Whole Allspice
3 Cardamom Pods
A little bit of freshly grated ginger
2 Cups Water

Grated Orange Peel
Grated Lemon Peel
Raisins

Thats the wuss version... heres the hardcore job.

1/3 red wine, 1/3 vodka and 1/3 Syrupus sacchari and added 2% Tinctura aromatica.
Syrupus sacchari is a solution of 2/3 sugar in 1/3 water

you can get the tinctura aromatica at the chemists.

...and egg nog.

6 eggs
1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brandy
1/3 cup dark rum (Captain Morgan for best flavor, but Myers is OK)
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk
All liquids should be very cold. Refrigerate in advance.
Beat the eggs for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Turn the mixer off and stir in the cold brandy, rum, whipping cream and milk Chill before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg

wouldnt advise trying to get pissed on just this..a fine starter to have one or two though..

Favorite Hot Cocoa

Ingredients:

1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method: In medium saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa and salt; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil and stir 2 minutes. 2. Add milk; stir until well blended. Cook, stirring often, until hot. DO NOT BOIL. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with whisk until foamy.

Single Serving: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon Hershey's ® Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in mug. Add 2 teaspoons milk; stir until smooth. Stir in 1 cup hot milk; serve.
Microwave Single Serving: In microwave-safe mug, combine 1 heaping teaspoon Hershey's ® Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend; serve.

Hot Christmas Tea

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups water
6 bags black tea
1 cinnamon stick -- broken
3 whole cloves
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups cranberry juice cocktail
1 cup Burgundy wine
Orange, pear, or apple slices studded with cloves as garnish.

Method: In saucepan, bring water to boil. Add tea and spices, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Remove tea bags. Stir in sugar, cranberry juice, and wine. Return to medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is heated through. Serve in cups with fruit slices as garnish.

Cranberry Punch
Ingredients:

2 24-ounce bottles unsweetened white grape juice
2 12-ounce can cranberry cocktail, frozen concentrate -- thawed
3 16-ounce bottles 7-up
Ice Ring

Method: In a large punch bowl combine white grape juice and cranberry juice cocktail concentrate. Just before serving, stir in the 7-up. Add Ice Ring.

Ice Ring:
Fill a 6-cup ring mold half full of water, freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Cut 3 orange slices in half; arrange around frozen ice layer. Garnish with whole cranberries and lemon leaves. Add enough water to just cover the oranges, cranberries, and lemon leaves. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

Wassil

Ingredients:

6 c. apple cider
3 cinnamon sticks or more (or powdered cinnamon to taste)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 c. honey
1 tsp. lemon rind and/or orange rind or juice
15 to 20 whole cloves

Method: Bring ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 10 to 15
minutes.

For a full gallon, triple measurements. All ingredients
can be added to or subtracted from, per taste. Pineapple juice
(4 ounces) or rum or wine can be added to taste.
Serving suggestion: Stud 3 whole oranges with cloves, 1
inch apart. Put in baking pan with water to cover bottom.
Bake 30 minutes. Float oranges on top of Wassail in punch
bowl. Serve Wassail with 1 cinnamon stick in each cup.

the hot cocoa is bloody good..you can also add whiskey at the end for a little kick like.

Latex lizzie said:
1/3 red wine, 1/3 vodka and 1/3 Syrupus sacchari and added 2% Tinctura aromatica.
Syrupus sacchari is a solution of 2/3 sugar in 1/3 water

you can get the tinctura aromatica at the chemists.
Tinctura Aromatica from the chemist. This sounds interesting, What is it?

egg_ said:
I recommend Green and Black's - it's organic and fairly traded and is intensely chocolatey (much more so than any of the more commercial brands)
i second that. Its so fucking good.

as cocoas go anyway.:)

egg_ said:
I recommend Green and Black's - it's organic and fairly traded and is intensely chocolatey (much more so than any of the more commercial brands)
egg_ said:

agreed. Green and blacks is lovley chocolate. Did you know that they were recently bought out partly by cadburys? does that mean they are still fair trade or wha? do cadburys go in for that?

Latex lizzie said:
agreed. Green and blacks is lovley chocolate. Did you know that they were recently bought out partly by cadburys? does that mean they are still fair trade or wha? do cadburys go in for that?
mmmmmm, I did not know that.

..yeah I think its cadburys..I watched a programme on the guys who make it..and they were all about how independant they were and how the choc was real and all..at the end there was some postscript about how a certain percentage of the company was bought out by a big choc maker for a bucket load because people were raving about their choc..or something.

Latex lizzie said:
I imagine they would still be fair trade. It still says so on the packets.

Quite lot of large companies are realising that fair trade brands are very popular and want to get into the market.

http://au.biz.yahoo.com/041122/33/268m.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back