Educate Together (1 Viewer)

Ah no. Youre right to put it up. Id say the whole educate together show is seriously underfunded and the problem possibly lies therein. Its a pity that the whole education system isnt secular, whether that or location was your initiial reason for sending kids there. Im a complete hypocrite insofar as i am atheist but baptise n go through all the ritual with the kids so they are included more than excluded. Im an arsehole, i know, but i wouldnt personally fancy educate together. New system, underfunded, fighting for status and facilities where established school inevitably get first pickings... for those reasons I am a complete unprincipled hypocrite.....

Ah no. Youre right to put it up. Id say the whole educate together show is seriously underfunded and the problem possibly lies therein. Its a pity that the whole education system isnt secular, whether that or location was your initiial reason for sending kids there. Im a complete hypocrite insofar as i am atheist but baptise n go through all the ritual with the kids so they are included more than excluded. Im an arsehole, i know, but i wouldnt personally fancy education together. New system, underfunded, fighting for status and facilities where established school inevitably get first pickings... for those reasons I am a complete unprincipled hypocrite.....

Ah no. Youre right to put it up. Id say the whole educate together show is seriously underfunded and the problem possibly lies therein. Its a pity that the whole education system isnt secular, whether that or location was your initiial reason for sending kids there. Im a complete hypocrite insofar as i am atheist but baptise n go through all the ritual with the kids so they are included more than excluded. Im an arsehole, i know, but i wouldnt personally fancy educate together. New system, underfunded, fighting for status and facilities where established school inevitably get first pickings... for those reasons I am a complete unprincipled hypocrite.....

Your responsibility is what's best for your kids dude, if you think, for those reasons, that in the current state of affairs that's the best way to get your kids a good education then go for it.

I think Egg is right. There is no particular reason an ET school would be funded less by the state than any other one. They all work under the same system. However, some schools are way better at generating extra money through fund-raising (often linked to the demographics of the school community).

Smaller schools get less money. There is a point at which any school becomes financially "capable" but that is a difficult place to get to. Up to that point schools can be heavily reliant on fundraising etc.
Billy, I wouldn't say you were wrong to start this thread, your thread title is wrong though.

They did/do get state funding. It's the management of that is a serious problem.
It has actually (kind of) helped someone here, but I really can't go in to details as it's too public.

It's fair to say I've seen the very worst Educate Together school - and it made me think about the movement as a whole. It's not the answer to non-denominational education in Ireland and I believe our political parties see it as an easy option.

So it was the building rather than the Educate Together system? Obviously if they have a structurally unsafe school then hey're responsible though.

I think the system allows for people with no experience or knowledge of managing a school to manage a school. There will be plenty of scenarios where people who can shout the loudest, yet be totally incompetent, to effectively run a school.
It's similar to the Free Schools in England - it allows for Toby Young-type characters to be in charge of educating kids.

Education should be the responsibility of the state and professional educators whose interest is in educating kids.

I'm completely against how the Catholic Church has dominated Irish education but I don't believe Educate Together is the answer - even if their aims are good.

mine too. teachers ranging from good to exemplary. admins/managers/principals doing an admirable job re resources, fund-raising, facilities, extra-curricular activities, etc. along with core curriculum.

no complaints re s.e.t.n.s - two kids there and a third on the way. crying out for a secondary school though.

@billygannon twice you've said that e.t. isn't the answer but you haven't suggested one. any ideas?

This school is known to Educate Together as being a disaster. It's surprising Educate Together continue to support it.

As for an alternative? My guess is something from local councils. There are plenty of community colleges at secondary level - why can't there be the same at primary level?

There is the same at primary level. Or at least it's starting. They're called Community National Schools and are run by the local ETB. Their approach to faith formation couldn't be more different than ET. They separate the kids and leach them in groups. Couldn't have those those kids hearing about other religions now can we?

There is the same at primary level. Or at least it's starting. They're called Community National Schools and are run by the local ETB. Their approach to faith formation couldn't be more different than ET. They separate the kids and leach them in groups. Couldn't have those those kids hearing about other religions now can we?
That's not how it works in our one - the kids from certain faiths are put into groups (Christian / Muslim / none of the above) for a few weeks leading up to Easter / Ramadan. The rest of the year they're all in together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back