hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
I want to buy a DVD recorder thing that will

(a) play DVDs
(b) play Audio Cds
(c) record telly programmes

Idea is it allows me to replace video recorder/player AND cd player AND DVD player with one device. Brilliant, eh?

So anyone have any advice about what to buy? I have seen hard-disc ones for about 800 quid but dont want to spend anything like that .... there are cheaper alternatives arent there?

lildi had a nice wee no name DVD recorder before the christmas for 260 or thereabouts. probably worth dropping into the one in parnell street & see if they have any left as from what i heard they had stacks of them the day they went on sale....

Dixons too have ones featured on their british site starting from 130 sterling. Doesn't say about it playing audio and mp3s but sure I thought that was a fairly standard feature on DVD players at this stage of the game. Point is, I don't think you'd have to be spendin 800 squids.

'twas lidl.

i went in and looked at that box, and came away mighty disappointed, well, that may be hyperbole, but while it plays all manner of things, it's basic technical specs are incorrect (not bad, actually incorrect). and the bit rate is tiny, so anything you play on it will look bad.

still, it was cheap.

may i also suggest a harddisk recorder, like a tivo, but not as fancy - my brother has a cheap one from thompson, which can record about 10 - 30 hours onto its disk and plays cds and dvds.

the bongo said:
'twas lidl.

i went in and looked at that box, and came away mighty disappointed, well, that may be hyperbole, but while it plays all manner of things, it's basic technical specs are incorrect (not bad, actually incorrect). and the bit rate is tiny, so anything you play on it will look bad.

still, it was cheap.
i wouldn't be so quick to discount the lidl box - a mate bought one, so i shall ask his opinion.

i'd imagine the bitrate was the recording bitrate? sure once it's better than VHS, what's the problem, like.... realistically, to get 4 hours (wasn't that what they said?) on 1 DVDR you're looking at low bitrates anyway.

may i also suggest a harddisk recorder, like a tivo, but not as fancy - my brother has a cheap one from thompson, which can record about 10 - 30 hours onto its disk and plays cds and dvds.
I built a HTPC / hard disk recorder a year or two back using a Shuttle PC case, athlon XP 2000+ CPU, 512mb ram, an MSI "Personal Cinema FX5200" graphics card & a 40gb hard disk. Software is Showshifter + DigiGuide and it works perfect, apart from the fact that i need another USB thing if i want to let the PC change the channel on the NTL box automatically (only if i want to record using a digital source). Haven't used my VCR since.

nlgbbbblth said:
I have toyed with the idea of getting a DVD recorder but haven't bothered
Still happy with using my VCRs for recording films etc off the telly
Cannot be arsed in converting approx 1500 VHS tapes to DVD - surely the quality is not going to be much better given the source (shit in / shit out)
Yeah but once they're converted the quality will never degrade....

Ad in paper from Xtra-Vision. They is sellin Phillips DVD recorders for ..I think it was 269. Definitely either 239 or 269. But they have mp3 and normal audio playback. And um you get 5 free DVD-r. Or maybe they were rewritable. But I doubt it. Not mentioned on xtravison site but if it was in de paper, IT'S GOTTA BE TRUE.:eek:

Unicron said:
OK I know what r and rw mean but whats the story with DVD + R and DVD + RW verses DVD - R and DVD - RW?
at this stage, there's no practical difference.

they're different formats but both work on pretty much everything now.

make sense?

Well I ignored all of you (especially Pete's crazy suggestion of building one :) ) and bought a Phillips DVD player/VCR combo for 199 euros in Arnotts. So I still record stuff onto tape as before but now the DVD/CD/Video devices are all the one ... it seems pretty cool so far.

Thanks.

Wavioli said:
how much did that actually cost you there pete?
weeeellll i had all the bits other than the case & the video card lying around, so i dunno.... couple hundred? was worth it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back