DUM DUM GIRLS + GIRLS NAMES + A SUNNY DAY IN GLASGLOW, WHELAN'S, MAY 18 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions presents

DUM DUM GIRLS

& Girl Names (Belfast, Captured Tracks)

Whelan’s, May 18, Doors 8pm

Tickets €15 incl. booking fee from WAV [Lo-Call 1890 200 078], Tickets.ie, City Discs, Road Records & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

“A blistering half-hour of menacing, witty bubblegum pop.” 8.2, - Pitchfork

“Bubblegum pop put through a shredder, the guitars blistered, vocals fuzzy and impassioned, everything underpinned by stark, blunt drums, the 11 songs hurtling by in less than 30 minutes.” - The Guardian (4 stars)

“A gooey acid cupcake of a record that mixes sexy menace with near-virginal sweetness… I Will Be sounds erratically adolescent in the best possible sense.” - The Onion

“It’s anachronistic, fashionable and sometimes quite beautiful. It’s teen music for adults. It’s also incredibly sentimental.” The New York Times

“This rollicking debut album is a balance-redressing, cliché-bucking tonic.” - NME

Led by Dee Dee, Dum Dum Girls churn out blissful pop that falls somewhere between The Ramones and the Ronettes. Dee Dee formed DDG in late 2008 as a solo project - the name a nod to both The Vaselines’ album, Dum-Dum, and the Iggy Pop song “Dum Dum Boys”— and released a home-recorded CDR on her label Zoo Music followed by a 7" on HoZac and a 12" EP on Captured Tracks.

When Dee Dee needed a band to take her songs out of the bedroom, she looked to her friends: Jules, a San Diego-based furniture designer; Bambi, a non-profit worker in Austin; and Brooklynite Frankie Rose, a former Vivian Girl and Crystal Stilt, currently starting her own project as well. When the other three met for the first time a week before CMJ 2009, it was an instant girl gang.

Dee Dee wrote and recorded the songs that became I Will Be over the first eight months of 2009, and she asked a few others to contribute. Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner plays on “Yours Alone.” Crocodiles’ Brandon Welchez sings and plays guitar on the duet “Blank Girl.” And Los Angeles musician Andrew Miller contributes guitars to a number of tracks.

I Will Be runs just under thirty minutes with eleven songs; a short tribute to love, loss, fear, fun, and the classic pop form of the 60s girl groups and early punk rockers. Explaining the album’s dark-and-sunny feel, Dee Dee says: “There’s an overdramatic tone, much like a teenager’s world, but applied to the experience of getting older. I tend to be an introvert. So there’s a lot of time for weird thoughts to develop in my head before I put them down on paper. And it’s really bizarre living in Southern California. It’s that total stereotype of being super-laidback, this ‘everything’s perfect’ vibe. But you’re miserable in the sun because you’re stuck. Like, it’s so perfect that it’s overwhelming and depressing. That’s sorta inspiring.”
www.subpop.com
www.myspace.com/dumdumgirls

GIRLS NAMES
From Belfast, our favourite new Irish band play bittersweet buzzsaw pop with nods and winks to c86, Beat Happening, Felt, Black Tambourine, K Records & The Pastels. Their latest releases are a split tape with San Diego’s Heavy Hawaii and the Graveyard 12inch on Captured Tracks, which came out in March. www.myspace.com/girlsnames

A SUNNY DAY IN GLASGOW

Late show – Upstairs @ Whelan’s

May 18th, doors 11pm

Tickets €12 incl. booking fee from WAV [Lo-Call 1890 200 078], Tickets.ie, City Discs, Road Records & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

* €5 on door w/ Dum Dum Girls ticket stub (first come / first served)

Using mandolins, banjos, noise, samplers, lots of cuttin' n pastin', and all of the normal band instruments, Philadelphia's A Sunny Day in Glasgow add lush female vocals and dance-y rhythms to make dreamy pop music. Distorted guitars alongside Robin and Lauren's vocals glisten, marrying Cocteau Twins' other-wordliness, JAMC white noise, the best aspects of early Aphex Twin, and the jangle of "Strawberry Wine" era MBV to create pop music that somehow makes sense despite making no sense. New album "Ashes Grammar" has received critial acclaim universally, as did debut album "Scribble Mural Comic Journal".

www.myspace.com/sunnydayinglasgow

Dum Dum Girls tonight
€5 to see A Sunny Day in Glasgow Upstairs @ Whelan's afterwards w/ Dum Dum Girls ticket stub

There is a terrible Norwegian band called the Dum Dum Boys......

yeah we'll give folks a cloakroom ticket or wristband on the way in to dum dum girls Ian

How's that going to work if you pay at the door for Dum Dum Girls? Retain the cloakroom ticket you get off of Joe (usually) on the way in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back