Dublin's Independent Music Shops? (1 Viewer)

Daedalus77

Greetings, all—

New member here. Los Angeles musician visiting Dublin for a good bit of December for work and the holidays (I've family in the city).

Recommendations for good music shops? Independent sellers? Vinyl, rarities? Any chance of decent pro audio or guitar gear shops?

I know the city pretty well, having visited often.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.
D.

Hi,

Dublin's independent music shops have taken a bit of a hammering over the last few years unfortunately - like everywhere I suppose. There are still some left though.

Elastic Witch on Abbey Street (in the Twisted Pepper building) - small but excellent selection of contemporary indie/alternative. Good for local releases too. CD and vinyl, mostly new.

R.A.G.E. (on Fade street in the same building as the late Road Records) - loads of second hand vinyl in the basement

Spindizzy (Georges Street arcade) - new and second-hand vinyl

Tower Records (Wicklow St) - good new vinyl selection

Freebird Records/Secret Book and Record Store (a few doors away from Tower) - mostly used vinyl

Into The Void (metal .... if that's your bag look them up ... they are off Camden St)

As for music/audio gear ... there are plenty of places but I doubt you are going to get anything cheaper than you would in L.A. Most people buy stuff in the States and bring it back here to save money. Anyway, there is Music Maker on Exchequer St (near Tower again) and Xmusic out near the Red Cow roundabout (you really need a car to get out here). If you happen to find yourself in Louth (and commiserations if you do) you might consider dropping into Beat It music in Blackrock. Great, quirky music shop with loads of second-hand gear.

Enjoy your stay ...

Just outside Dublin, Beat that records in Arklow, Co. Wicklow. Really good selection of second hand Vinyl, CDs & books.

Full-14264993.jpeg

Theres a shop selling pro audio gear in Raheny now.Loads of top quality shit..Audient SSl Neve you name it....but theres no way on earth he could be cheaper than even an expensive shop stateside.

Maybe not an indie store but Head music have recently opened two stores in Dublin. One in the Ilac Centre and one in Liffey Valley. The ilac centre shop has has plenty of vinyl etc and music loving staff and prices are very good

Maybe not an indie store but Head music have recently opened two stores in Dublin. One in the Ilac Centre and one in Liffey Valley. The ilac centre shop has has plenty of vinyl etc and music loving staff and prices are very good

I was in there a couple (?) of weeks ago.
Picked up a John Coltrane record (€13), B12's Electro-Soma €15) and Mark Lanegan's new one (€18), so not so bad, some of the stuff was a bit high (à la Tower, as I think I mentioned before), but no more than Tower, bit of a hunt reveals some bargains. And the selection was pretty good - much better than HMV ever was. I was wondering did it have anything to do with HMV as their price stickers were the same, but I'm sure that's a coincidence.

The staff were sound alright. Good to see a record shop on the Northside in anyways...

I was in there a couple (?) of weeks ago.
Picked up a John Coltrane record (€13), B12's Electro-Soma €15) and Mark Lanegan's new one (€18), so not so bad, some of the stuff was a bit high (à la Tower, as I think I mentioned before), but no more than Tower, bit of a hunt reveals some bargains.
discovered the liffey valley one by chance a couple of weeks ago. went in for a quick flick, found a will oldham/nathan salsburg 7" i didn't know existed - €13! and the vinyl racks are supplemented by 'please notice me' boxes of records which you have to slide out from under the shelves, blocking the aisle.

Popped in to the Liffey Valley one for a few minutes on Sunday, looks decent and an alright vinyl selection from what I could see. Had the kids with me so didn't get to have a proper browse.

More Record shops always welcome but really, how do these people plan to stay open, what’s different about their business model / revenue generation that is going keep them open andnot fail like so many so often? Are they that naive or am I missing something?

One financially viable one would probably be more use than a few always in competition. Galway has technically got three, though they are all mixed use, though i'd be perfectly happy if two of them fucked off and the hokey weirdo shop remained.

I was in Toronto at the weekend and spent Monday walking around Queen/Younge St looking for music and "youth culture" shops for band t-shirts etc. This area used to be awash with this stuff and you'd always pick up something cool. But now.... nothing. Plenty of food places, H&M and urban outfitters. Very disappointing, I had time and money too.
I know TO is a big place and it's probably all happening in a different part of the city now.
It felt like a post-internet wasteland. If there was a way to sell coffee online there'd be no need for shops at all!

I was under the impression there were a few decent record shops in Toronto?

That new dublin one? I'd be nervous about getting customers out there. Would have to be really well stocked and decent prices to drag people out,especially on a miserable day.

I was in Toronto at the weekend and spent Monday walking around Queen/Younge St looking for music and "youth culture" shops for band t-shirts etc. This area used to be awash with this stuff and you'd always pick up something cool. But now.... nothing. Plenty of food places, H&M and urban outfitters. Very disappointing, I had time and money too.
I know TO is a big place and it's probably all happening in a different part of the city now.
It felt like a post-internet wasteland. If there was a way to sell coffee online there'd be no need for shops at all!
I used to work very near Queen & Yonge intersection, the real estate values have gone sky high there and driven our anything that isn't catering to suited types and luxury condo dwellers.. They did still have some really good record shops a bit further out from downtown when I left 2 years ago though, try Sonic Boom on Spadina, Rotate This on Queen West or Soundscapes on College next time you're there..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back