drumming injuries (1 Viewer)

uncle_meat

Website
www.steerage.net
aside from spontaneous combustion, drinking oneself to death and bizarre gardening accidents, who here has suffered for their art?

me, i had a problem with my left shoulder for ages, joint pain and inflammation which affected my playing, until i realised i was using too much tension when hitting the snare. I opted for a more relaxed technique which still resulted in the same volume and that fixed the problem. My knee was giving me jip as well on my bass drum leg, again, same story.

sprained both wrists, severely bruised the top of my foot, cracked knuckle on a rim, huge cut on finger(blood still on my spare snare).

all in 2 weeks on tour. i have since figured out how not to do all of the above.

other than some savage blood blisters when I was starting off, not many. I punched myself in the nuts once or twice when I was experimenting with a ridiculously high seating position. the only real injury was when I pulled a muscle or something in my upper back once while playing, which meant I had to spend the guts of a week and a half walking around with my head on my own right shoulder. or I could lift my head up, but I had to tilt my shoulder up and out in front of me. I looked like a deformed henchman. it hurt loads.

funnily, before I played drums i used to get a lot of muscular pain and tension in my back, and if I don't play for several months it starts to come back. the only cure is rhythm it seems!

Our drummer had tendonitis in both arms, fallen arches in his feet, a trapped nerve in his spine and trapped nerves in his shoulders. I think he has spent a fortune on physio and at one stage couldn't drum for six months. Being a drummer is really hard. my sympathies lie with all of you brave men and women.

Our drummer had tendonitis in both arms, fallen arches in his feet, a trapped nerve in his spine and trapped nerves in his shoulders. I think he has spent a fortune on physio and at one stage couldn't drum for six months. Being a drummer is really hard. my sympathies lie with all of you brave men and women.
yikes. thats pretty serious.

i learned pretty quickly that my injuries were caused from bad technique and/or stick size and drum height.

now i dont have any problems anymore other than the odd smack of a finger. its really important to get the right technique and set up cos otherwise repetitive strain will come along and bite you in the ass.

All them injuries are most often down to bad technique, but who wants to watch a drummer who plays from the wrist and doesn't break a sweat? Jazz bastards, that's who.

I find it hard to believe that i'm the only one who's ever bent over to pick something up and missed impaling my head through my eye on the top of the hi hat stand by a whisker. I've narrowly missed whipping my eye out with a stick a couple of times as well.

I hate my eyes.

oh there was one time recently where (sometimes i play with the sticks pretty loose) i put my left index finger in between my hi hats and then closed the hats(full force) on my finger. now THAT was fucking painful. all happened in the blink of an eye too.

Just the usual blisters and cuts meself but a few years ago I started gettin real bad pains right in the centre of my palms and for a while, nearly even started believing Padre Pio, but then they just went away with no change in technique at all. I do have to keep my seat height lower than any other drummers Ive ever shared a kit with though or else I proper whack myself right in the middle of my left thigh with the butt of my stick when hittin the snare coz of my "wrong" technique, but lessons are still for saps:p

I do have to keep my seat height lower than any other drummers Ive ever shared a kit with though or else I proper whack myself right in the middle of my left thigh with the butt of my stick when hittin the snare coz of my "wrong" technique, but lessons are still for saps:p
if you want to sit higher, you could also raise your snare a bit higher too. might stop you punching your own leg.

if you want to sit higher, you could also raise your snare a bit higher too. might stop you punching your own leg.

Your right it defintley would, but Im pretty tall and am comfortable sittin low down I just think its pretty wierd that no one else keeps their seat as low as mine

I'm no drummer but I sometimes jump behind a kit to get ideas across but I've always noticed that when it comes to ergonomics most drummers are sufferin', I don't know how many drummers i've seen who've set their cymbals up in order of size rather than what they use most often, does it not make sense to set them up with the most used cymbals in front of you and your chingin' china cymbal way out east?

I'm no drummer but I sometimes jump behind a kit to get ideas across but I've always noticed that when it comes to ergonomics most drummers are sufferin', I don't know how many drummers i've seen who've set their cymbals up in order of size rather than what they use most often, does it not make sense to set them up with the most used cymbals in front of you and your chingin' china cymbal way out east?
not really, no.

Shooting pains up my arms sometimes. Doesn't happen too frequently if I do stretches and warm up properly though.

One time, back in the days before motor transport, was carrying gear from Temple Ln. Studios to the Project Arts Centre. My nuts had a full speed collision with one of those nut high poles on the footpath. Didn't even see it coming.

Our drummer has a habit of hitting himself in the cock with his sticks... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back