Drumanacoo (2-day) Punx Picnic, Donegal (2 Viewers)

I know its already been said, but hats off to everyone involved! Thanks for paying us anyway (Kidd blunt) and giving us heaps of booze. Shit happens. You win some, you lose some. You lose some, you lose some , you lose some...

I know its already been said, but hats off to everyone involved! Thanks for paying us anyway (Kidd blunt) and giving us heaps of booze. Shit happens. You win some, you lose some. You lose some, you lose some , you lose some...

did all the bands get paid the same amount?

I’m one of the promoters & organisers of the Punx Picnic. To set the record straight a report is being sent from the security company. This is an official document of what exactly happened on Saturday night. I am disappointed personally that such a peaceful weekend has been marred by violence. We all worked very hard for this and resorting to violence was disrespectful to everyone involved in organizing this.

More than that I’d like to turn the attention toward the professionalism and hard work of so many people over the last few weeks/month. This whole event was organized over the last five months which I feel was a major achievement of all involved.

Jasper, Oisin, Super June & all the Letterkenny crew who worked relentlessly through so many obstacles ie gardai saying no, cranky neighbours, bad weather, sick children and too many more to mention.

Ambrose and Jay in the Marquee did a brilliant job. The sound was brilliant and they worked to hard so a big thank you to them.

Bob & John & Lurch and all the Enniskillen crew who covered the hall. You never have to worry, these lads completely cover it. Totally professional and absolutely lovely people.

All the helpers Shane, Moose, House, Viv Fox, Paddy, John , Owen, Mark, Maddogdom, Kev, Roy, David, Paul, etc prob more I cannot rem.

Thank you to all the bands, djs etc who came all the way up to play. There was some brilliant performances. Punk rock was alive and well and living in Drumacanoo last weekend.

I’m very disappointed that Kidd Blunt did not get a chance to play. They are one of the most amazing bands on the Irish scene at the moment. We hope that they will accept an invitation to come up to Letterkenny to play a Rebellious Jukebox gig over the next few months.

Thanks to everyone who showed up to have a good time at the weekend. Apart from Saturday night the atmosphere over the rest of the weekend was brilliant. There was no egos, no hassle only good times so to everyone who contributed to that thanks.

PEACE & LOVE
MARY RJ X

alright, I only got to read this all last night, though I was informed on monday as I was driving back from Donegal, I was asked to make a respeonse. got back, unloaded car, went to sleep. tuesday morning I'm thinking bout all this, have to take me kid to hospital for xray, on the way was involved in car crash, my car is a write off but no one was hurt. so i was a bit fucked up tuesday and didnt feel like computer and only got the time to have alook last night, after unloading 2 vans with equipment that came down from donegal.

Firstly, I will say that I did FUCK UP by not being present in the marquee when this happened - I was the stage manager in that area and Mary was stage manager in the hall. It was around the time of this all happening that several other things happened - namely a bloke splitting his head open and worse was Mary having an allergic reaction that could of killed her - luckily the ambulance was there for the split head bloke.
So i had to look after 2 areas, see to all the bands wanting money/beers (If anyone from Dubtones, septic pussy, divisions ruin reading, I will catch up with you on this point, sorry didnt catch up with you at the time), also had to track down bar manager to borrow money from him as Mary was the money keeper and the money had gone with her to the hospital.
As Peter visions has already said, there should be stage manager there consistently - I realise that I had too much responsibilities ( as one of main organisers it becomes you are responsible for everything) and subsquently could not be 100% to any one of the many roles that I had (I even had to do the gate at times)
So I should have delegated to someone reliable to take over that position, the problem was that all the peopel involved had already positions delegated to them, there was not enough people in the organization of the event to spread em around liberally, that is why we all ended up with multiple tasks.
Also with this in mind and the nature of the event, I felt ok about leaving Amby & jay the soundmen to run the marquee when I couldnt be there, and up until this point, that had been a satisfactory arrangement, things had been running OK like this when I had to be somewhere else.

As has been stated, originally Kidd blunt were to play after BOW, that was the running orders up til the tues night before the event.
I got mail off BOW asking if they could go onstage 12.30 -1.30, set time of hour (which I allocated the time), they bringing their own backline so want stage cleared at 12 midnight for em to set up etc. I replied that this would be ok - the curfew time for sat night was 2am - if anyone has a programme from picnci - look see it says BOW 12 -1.30 - I was making allowances for running over - the half hour - as it was that night we were running 1 hour behind time, which I dont think is too bad compared to the past (leechrum).
So BOW did ask me if I could put em on before KB, as it wa srunning abit late - I said it would probably be OK, I'll ask KB, who at this point had just arrived, gtrs in hand.
Now this is probably where I went wrong - I should have said to BOW - it will be alright, I've made allowances for that half hour, and the reality is if we do go over 2 am, it wouldnt have been that much over and I think that would ve been alright - but I spose I pandered to the professionals and also took advantage of KB's flexibility/good nature (I only really know Turlough, so it was him I approached and asked if they minded this change, which although he was a bit pissed off about the cahnge, as they were ready to go on, was willing to go along with my request).
This exchange of words did take place pretty much as described by Peter BOW in his attempt to curb chinese whisopers.
At this stage it wouldve been approx 12.30, so I knew there was still time for both bands to play. As has been stated already, with the nature of these events bands/ evetrybody has too show flexibility/make concessions for/towards each other for things to run semi-smoothly, which in relation to bands usually means cutting your set short abit so everyband gets a go. This usually doesnt ahve to be said, bands just do it. Again, this is probably where I'm at fault as a stage manager I shouldve been there to make this clear to any who didnt understand, but for whichever of the reasons I was not and had left things to run themselves, as they had done quite proficiently at other times when I was unable to be present.
So I was not present when it all kicked off, and I didnt think it would be any use me getting involved with it when the gards where there - I knew not what had happened & thus could say nothing on the subject.
Also before all this ahd happened, before Mary had gone to hospital, it was becoming apparrent that we were not going to cover everything financially by quite a sum, which was preying on my mind.

So I've heard many accounts of what happened, and I've tried to get it chronological in my mind - the violence, like a plyground scrap, or a bar room brawl - the cause lies with who iniateted it in the first place, who threw the first punch.
I will take responsibility for not being present as stage manager and being there to diffuse the situation, yeah I fucke dup, was not professional, but I am not professional, and I dont think BOW behaved professionally by resorting to violence. I accept that I fucked up, BOW have to accept they started the violence - I wasnt there, but from reliable witnesses - the soundmen, whom I trust completely to recount an honest version of events, the cause of violence was BOW drummer, before the cymbals/cymbal case projectile, when he jumped out to get Byrenos. Amby the soundman was on stage when this happened. He then saw Byrenos retaliate with the cymbals/cymbal case, from where it went full on.
There were 2 security present, we will ahve a full report from them, but they are officially stating that the violence originated with the drummer.
Of course if someone hits you /throws cymbals at you, you gonna hit em back, and if Byrenos had thrown em at Chris first, the cause would lie with him, but from all accounts, Chris dived on Byrenos first.
OK, Byrenios shouldnt have grabbed the bass player - I shouldve been there to say dont do that, I put my hands up again - I fucke dup as a stage manger.

the crazy thing is, if we'd had more time on the fri/thurs, if the fire officer wasnt such a heavy jobsworth, we could have had the genny powered up sooner, the soundmen would ve had more time to set everything up - including 3 fixed position cameras filming the whole thing - then it would all be ther for all to see.

Its very hard to please alll the peolpe all the time etc etc, and the picnic was not meant to be about just certain sets of people, it was for everyone - it was a punk and underground music fest - it was done by the book, we had to do it all properly or the gards wouldnt have let it go ahead - hence security, fencing, fire officers, health & safety officers, etc etc, which all costs money, all the groundwork/background work that is neccessary for the event to go ahead costs money, which we had to recoup/make through ticket sales.
I was questioned before the event took place as to why certain bands (BOW among them) were playing - they weren't punk or DIY - why had I booked em - well i answered all the various reasons why, but one of the main reasons I repleid was that we need to make money to pay for the event, and like it or not, bands such as BOW do have a bigger profile and are musically more accessible to your average joe rock punter who is going to buy a ticket (who we need to come & buy tickets to pay for everything), than say, some shite like Excuses, who only Gazza & Janer like (lol). And I stand by that reasoning there, even though it was not accepted as credible by my questioner.
If anyone else wants to ask me why I booked such or such a band, then I'd prefere we sat down and you heard my explanations, rather than bloody emails. Same goes for if anyone wants to know how much I paid such or sucha band, as it seems from the last posts that that is gonna be the next topic of discussion. I got nothing to hide. I will be in bohs at the bleeding rectum gig on sat. Mines a guiness, thanks.

To conclude - I apologise to BOW/John Foley fro not being professional - I never will be a professional anything; I'm a punk rocker who puts on gigs thats just what I am and most probably I shouldnt work with professional bands cos theres a chance I will let em down. I will be professional in that I will stand by my booking of BOW for mantua, and will be presnt as stage manager 100%.

I apologise again to Turlough and Kidd Blunt - I did take advantage of your better nature/understanding in as much as I knew you would be flexible about the swapping of slots. I'm sorry you didnt get to play and if you willing to do gigs with me agian, I will make it up to you. Also Amby found your kick pedal, I will bring it to bohs if any of you going to be there on sat, let me know.

Financially its not as bad as at first thought and I'm not as stressed bout it, but we are in debt. Thanks especially to all the bands who played fro free, the bands that refused to take any expenses - fair fucks, and the bands that gave their expenses back - you are too good.

Lastly i would like to say thanks to everyone who came and enjoyed themselves and the positive feedback you have been giving us - sort of makes it all worth while.

Anyone wants to know anything with regards to this event - contact me [email protected] or phone 0876626939 or speak to me at a gig, I will answer your questions if i got the answers.

dubtones, septic pussy, divisions ruin - get in contact please

thats it.

cheers Jasper

Funny thing... I met Blood Or Whiskeys accordion players cousin in Galway last night.

Edit: Sorry my post went up at the same time as Jaspers. A few fund raiser gigs around the country to help with the financial losses might be a good idea. I'd be up for doing something in Galway in a few months anyway.

Jesus jasper, I hope yer family are all alright after the crash.
puts things in perspective.
I wasnt at it, but I think its fuckin disgraceful Jasper should feel he has to come on here and defend himself over complete nonsense.
As anyone who plays in punk bands in Ireland and futher afield knows the amount of work Jasper does for the scene each year is immense and the northwest gigs are always the maddest sessions and best fun around.

Think its really shitty that has to apologise for not being professional at a PUNX PICNIC.

Think its really shitty that has to apologise for not being professional at a PUNX PICNIC.

Jasper doesn't need to apologise for anything. Neither does anybody else involved in running the gig. It wasn't their responsibility to not wreck the gaff, it was ours. For the most part we all held up our end of the bargain. Thanks again to everybody involved in putting this on. This should be remembered as an overwhelming success.

A few fund raiser gigs around the country to help with the financial losses might be a good idea. I'd be up for doing something in Galway in a few months anyway.

i would be more than happy to hold one in belfast.
prefrably with one or two bands who dont really play here, opposed to local bands.
bands that are willing to come up for free or their bus fare, get in toutch and weel sort somthin out for a fundraiser, keep the scene alive !!!

Jasper doesn't need to apologise for anything. Neither does anybody else involved in running the gig. It wasn't their responsibility to not wreck the gaff, it was ours. For the most part we all held up our end of the bargain. Thanks again to everybody involved in putting this on. This should be remembered as an overwhelming success.

All of the above. Hope you & the family are ok Jasper.

Jesus jasper, I hope yer family are all alright after the crash.
puts things in perspective.
I wasnt at it, but I think its fuckin disgraceful Jasper should feel he has to come on here and defend himself over complete nonsense.
As anyone who plays in punk bands in Ireland and futher afield knows the amount of work Jasper does for the scene each year is immense and the northwest gigs are always the maddest sessions and best fun around.

I could not have put it any better, take away the late Sat night incident and the whole weekend was a massive success.

Jasper doesn't need to apologise for anything. Neither does anybody else involved in running the gig.

I agree Jasper has absolutely nothing to apologise for, I nor Blood or Whiskey ever asked for an apology or anything of the sort just an explanation as to why it all went pear shaped when stage times were arranged in advance and a promoters/organisers view to maybe balance the one sided blame game in the aftermath, yes Blood or Whiskey take full responsibilty for their actions and apologise to all involved for what happened but there were other factors and people involved that has already been covered on this forum so no point going back over it.

I think some lessons can probably be learned from this though, that even at DIY events structure and organisation are important to avoid any conflict, I understand Jasper couldn't be in two places at once but a stage manager or someone with a calm, sober head and strong personality could have nipped this in the bud before it spiraled out of control, events don't always run themsleves, I speak from 10 years of putting on gigs of all shapes and sizes, and sorting out fights on and offstage, some that involved extreme violence and injuries, personally I hope in time there is no hard feelings, I can't speak for the band but from my own point of view I know most of the guys in Kidd Blunt, Byrneos etc and am happy to have a chat in person over a pint at the next gig, and not in cyberspace, cheers

The 'incident' was down to a handful of rockstars' egos and nothing to do with you, Jasper.
To be fair, events were set in motion as soon as BOW were added to the bill, but that was your decision to make.
Glad to hear everyone is ok after the crash.

The 'incident' was down to a handful of rockstars' egos and nothing to do with you, Jasper.
To be fair, events were set in motion as soon as BOW were added to the bill, but that was your decision to make.
Glad to hear everyone is ok after the crash.

Oly, not sure where you are getting the rock stars egos from as I know all the boys in the band as friends for years and rock stars is not something I associate them with at all, hard working yes, trying to make a living in the music industry yes, been on the road for years yes ,like organisation and things to run smoothly yes, but rock stars far from it...fair enought you don't like them as many on here don't and you are perfectly entitled to that opinion but if you don't know the lads to talk to or hang around with then you are talking through your arse or shit stirring as usual.....

They may not be rockstars 24/7, but as soon as they're about to head to the stage the rockstar attitude comes out.
I've known Peter for years and he's told me all the tales.
I was at Drumanacoo and saw the aftermath, saw Chris cuddling up to the pigs and saw the band give everyone the fingers as they zoomed off back home.
All in all, a fair reason for my opinion.

i would be more than happy to hold one in belfast.
prefrably with one or two bands who dont really play here, opposed to local bands.
bands that are willing to come up for free or their bus fare, get in toutch and weel sort somthin out for a fundraiser, keep the scene alive !!!

Try not to do it the same night as one of my gigs please!

(Aug. 9th, 12th, 13th, 23rd, 24th, 30th, Sept. 12th, 20th)

Oly, not sure where you are getting the rock stars egos from as I know all the boys in the band as friends for years and rock stars is not something I associate them with at all, hard working yes, trying to make a living in the music industry yes, been on the road for years yes ,like organisation and things to run smoothly yes, but rock stars far from it...fair enought you don't like them as many on here don't and you are perfectly entitled to that opinion but if you don't know the lads to talk to or hang around with then you are talking through your arse or shit stirring as usual.....

to be fair one of the members thinks hes a ''celebraty'' or generally above you by his attitude towards people, not goin to say which one but bs at rebellion he acted like a total prick towards me , same with backstage at the murphys in belfast, same with upstairs at voodoo lounge on paddys day.

but his behaviour isnt neccesarily linked to being in BOW so.
alltho there are member that have been sound as fuck to me too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back