Drum programming thread (1 Viewer)

most DAW programs have a groove function, they're always good to change the beat from a straight forward 4/4 .

Or you can always use midi based "drums in a can" programs like Groove Agent or EZ Drummer.

Addictive Drummer is me favorite at the moment because of how much you edit the sound of each drum.

And the midi beats are just drag n drop.

-mF

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

cheers dudes for lettting me know about the various DAWs that have a "swing" button ;)

but what about using it

just swing the hats?

do u swing the BD and keep the rest straight?

swing the hats 16C swing and the snare 8C swing?

any particular reasons for the differences? or all straight? what you do?

cheers dudes for lettting me know about the various DAWs that have a "swing" button ;)

but what about using it

just swing the hats?

I don't know what any of that means...

But I am interested in drum programming - I've got grooveagent but no manual for it (no pdf viewer): my question is are you limited to particular beat patterns or can you program your own?
I've also just started tinkering with the beats program in Ableton Live, but as I've only a demo version I can't export or save, which is why I'm trying to use grooveagent in Cubase.
Chances are all my problems can be laid at Vista's feet...

but what about using it

just swing the hats?

The swing switch on drum machines usually offsets the third beat (or whatever you call it) in every four.

The swing switch on drum machines usually offsets the third beat (or whatever you call it) in every four.

Yeah - it works by moving the even beats towards triplet or dotted timing. Keeping the odd beats straight.
Gives it a looser feel.

In my experience, if you want to get a looser, more human, feel then just play the beat in with quantise off and just quantise the first kick in the bar and the snares.

I've only started doing this recently.
I used a small drum machine with pads to play the drum track live.

Then I'd quantize it & use the drum kits in Logic which sound better than the drum machine.

I have a set of V-drums too which I haven't tried as a midi trigger yet but should add a bit more fluidity to the playing.

I'd LOVE to get my hands on a copy of SuperiorDrummer2.0
It's got a "Humanize" button which helps give much more realistic sound.

The problem with Addictive Drums is that you can't write your own beats so it's sorta restrictive.

The problem with Addictive Drums is that you can't write your own beats so it's sorta restrictive.

Doesn't affect me cos I'm playing the beat live.
Just using AD for the sounds.

Finally got the V-drums set up in the new house.
Used them as a midi trigger so easy to quantize, add in extra cymbal crashes, take out accidental hits & still get the snare "ghost notes" that give it a more natural feel.

I could still do with software that has better drum sounds than the ones that come with Logic but it'll do fine for demos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back