Drum Pads (1 Viewer)

kevin gallen

Website
www.qprdot.org
I'm very much a pro tools novice and was wondering about buying something like this for drums - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=221668

Unfortunately that's not midi compatible with protools so would there be any way of recording it as an audio source onto protools?

I realise the drum sounds are probably horrendous on it and id prefer something where i could patch in my own drum sounds but i'm broke and it seems an easier way than bashing out the drums manually on my midi keyboard.

any suggestions?

note: this is just for rough demos

no no no no stay away from that.
itll be horribly unresponsive and cause more frustration than anything else.

i would really recommend getting something like an m-audio trigger finger. you wont be using sticks but you can play out beats much more naturally using the pads with your fingers.
and its midi fitted(with usb). theres no onboard sounds but you can trigger beats in reason or something.

bottom line is those all in one box things will feel horrible and have the worst sounds imaginable. not good fun for writing music.

also, just reading back over your post again, if youre just looking to put down ideas, itd be a much better idea to just use loops or samples such as the software drumming thing(dudley uses one a lot and it sounds great)..

and technically you could get software for free.

cheers man, looks like a dodged a bullet with that. I have about as much frustration as I can take already with pro tools (reason in particular) without adding to it.

i guess this - http://www.thomann.de/ie/millenium_md70_digital_drumset.htm would also be really bad?

any idea of names of a software drumming thing i could use? looking for some nice shuffle beats.

Thanks

also, just reading back over your post again, if youre just looking to put down ideas, itd be a much better idea to just use loops or samples such as the software drumming thing(dudley uses one a lot and it sounds great)..

and technically you could get software for free.

ehhh send dudley a PM and ask him which is the one he uses...

i cant really speak for that as i do my beats in logic and/or sequencers..

ive actually played that thomann one and its a heap of shit. theres a slight delay when you hit the pads and the sounds are shocking. maybe its just me considering im a drummer so ill always find pads off.

i did actually learn to drum on a yamaha drum pad thing which had good sounds and had reasonable response.

really i think softdrums are the key but if yer into getting something to hit, at least try and get something second hand but of a higher quality..

ehhhh thats odd. i have both trigger finger and an axiom 25.

the pads on the axiom 25 are really nice and theres no lag or latency..maybe its a computer issue?

an trigger finger is essentially just a unit with axiom pads.

i use a standard m-audio midi keyboard to trigger drums from hell.

drums from hell is awesome, basically hundreds of samples of every possible hit of a drum kit. it's not loops, so you have to play the parts yourself, but it's brilliant

I'm very much a pro tools novice and was wondering about buying something like this for drums - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=221668

Unfortunately that's not midi compatible with protools so would there be any way of recording it as an audio source onto protools?

I realise the drum sounds are probably horrendous on it and id prefer something where i could patch in my own drum sounds but i'm broke and it seems an easier way than bashing out the drums manually on my midi keyboard.

any suggestions?

note: this is just for rough demos

The M-audio Trigger finger (MPC type Midi controller)
is fairly decent. Have one myself...
http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_trigger_finger_midi_drumcontroller.htm

It would be more suitable for drums and is fully velocity sensitive....

Midi keyboards work ok but you run the risk of damaging
them if you tend to whack the shit out of things

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back