Driving on a provisional licence unaccompanied. (1 Viewer)

theinvisiblerep

The guvment have obviously tightened up on the whole driving unaccompanied the last few years. I started driving about 8 years ago but need to go back driving regularly now on my provisional - will be doing the test soon.

Are the rumours of 1000 quid fine for being unaccompanied true? Anybody ever pulled over and been caught for it?

Keep your RSA letter for test and provisional licence in the glove compartment. That's worked for a friend of mine who was stopped at a checkpoint. However if caught with no L plates then they won't be as understanding - do not drive without them.

A key to passing your test is driving experience. If you can't get someone to accompany you then you have three choices

1) Pay an instructor €30 - €40 every time you want to take the car out.
2) Don't practice.
3) Drive unaccompanied to build up experience.

One of those options is prohibitively expensive, another means you'll fail your test. That leaves one.
Work out which suits you best.

Solid advice, cheers - I recently failed the test after taking a single driving lesson the evening before (i hadn't driven in about 4 years prior to that) and the driving instructor told me I was more or less a grand driver and all I needed was some solid road experience. I don't fancy shelling out 300+ quid for 10 hours of driving lessons which I don't particularly need. I'll be applying for the test soon as I get the car so will definitely take your advice for having the test letter in the car with me.

Solid advice, cheers - I recently failed the test after taking a single driving lesson the evening before (i hadn't driven in about 4 years prior to that) and the driving instructor told me I was more or less a grand driver and all I needed was some solid road experience. I don't fancy shelling out 300+ quid for 10 hours of driving lessons which I don't particularly need. I'll be applying for the test soon as I get the car so will definitely take your advice for having the test letter in the car with me.

Get 2 or 3 pre-tests. You maybe the best driver in Ireland (like me :p) but the examiners want to see you doing stuff in a certain way. I failed once by "driving too close to parked cars", the only cars that i passed that were parked were a residential area where there were cars parked on both sides of the roads and the only way to fit down is driving in the middle of the damn road.

The next time i did my test i got pre-test before hand and your one just made me do a few different sequences at starting and stopping to what i was doing before. I drove down the very same street, twice and passed without a mark taken off!!!

As for driving unaccompanied get a nice set of tits and puppy dog look. Or if stopped give some excuse along the lines of "id never drive on my own but i had to go to my grannys house cause she said she didnt feel well...". I'd deffo keep the L signs up as well

You need one of these guys
images

I've been driving on a provisional for about 5 years now (with no L-plates up) and have never been stopped and asked to show my license, every check point I've ever been to have either just checked tax, insurance and nct then waved me on or asked me to do a breathalyzer test then waved me on.

I'd say if you look young or are driving erratically then they'll stop you and ask for a licence otherwise your grand providing all discs and your blood / alcohol are correct for driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back