Don't ever play a gig without an agreed price (3 Viewers)

I was at soccer mommy in the grand social in September. Before death by chocolate, She said having music on sale in the merchandise table.

She was not impressed by the person who shouted that they could just listen to it on Spotify. She then talked about how people don't value music anymore.
What age is she? 21? Everybody's talking bout the good ol days

It's an interesting point. You can't force everyone to buy "physical" product when most of them don't care that much.

Having said that, has Spotify ever made a profit? Or to put it another way, could Spotify make a profit if it wanted to? Amazon for years made no profit because it reinvested every penny back in itself, it could have made a profit but chose not to. Is that how Spotify is working or is it genuinely losing money?

It's an interesting point. You can't force everyone to buy "physical" product when most of them don't care that much.

Having said that, has Spotify ever made a profit? Or to put it another way, could Spotify make a profit if it wanted to? Amazon for years made no profit because it reinvested every penny back in itself, it could have made a profit but chose not to. Is that how Spotify is working or is it genuinely losing money?

http://fortune.com

Hard to tell. They seem to be thrilled to be losing millions. Though the model is typically to do this till either google or amazon buys you and then get mega rich and run away.

Spotify shares already traded publicly, they can't be bought out easily

If Netflix is profitable I can't see why Spotify couldn't be.
Bit different though isn't it? Spotify must have an exponentially larger library (is that what it's called) and music isn't cheap. Netflix just need enough content to keep their users interested they don't need everything.

Bit different, but not radically. Spotify will survive (and profit) if the music industry allows it to - and if they don't then all recorded music is at the mercy of Apple/ Google/Amazon, who don't give a fuck about music

I would say it's radically different. You expect to go on Spotify and find what you're looking for (a few ever-dwindling, high profile exceptions aside). That's simply not the case with Netflix and that's a huge overhead.

Don't some of the others have more music than spotify?
Certainly my collection has more music than Spotify when it comes to a few dozen artists. Streaming is great for current smallish artists (in terms of finding them, I doubt they are great for surviving as an artist) and anything mainstream but not so much of you really want to dig deep. But I’m preaching to the choir here.

Of course they do. All their eggs are in music's basket. The other three have (substantial) other sources of income
Not really sure I get your logic. So Spotify has much more of an incentive to squeeze every penny, every drop it can get out of the music it shares. That's not necessarily a good thing for music in general. That said it's a terrific application. I don't pay for it but I see why it took off.

Erm ... I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by "cares about music". For Apple/Amazon/Google music is a sideshow - it's very difficult for the major labels to manipulate them because they've (much larger) other sources of income. Spotify depends on music alone, so they're much more prone to being manipulated. The majors would be mad if they killed the only player in the streaming market that they can bully

I think is "care" is the wrong choice of word there. They all only care about money, music happens to be the only source of income for one but that doesn't mean they care about music any more than the others. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back