Don't ever play a gig without an agreed price (1 Viewer)

update
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Paddy Fogarty has been at this since i started playing gigs in Dublin almost 18 years ago, if not longer.
he's a fucking shyster and chancer and needs to be called out for it

A quick google of this lads name throws up threads on boards from 2003

Since I started playing in a covers band I get about the same. I turned down a 200 quid per man gig the other night, also a covers band. Wedding bands can make crazy money and country n'irish can name their price it seems.

Since I started playing in a covers band I get about the same. I turned down a 200 quid per man gig the other night, also a covers band. Wedding bands can make crazy money and country n'irish can name their price it seems.

Yeah like doing originals for free sorta sets out two messages when this is the standard (I also float in and out of cover acts).

1. It undermines working musicians (covers or otherwise) with the devaluation of their trade.
2. It undermines other original acts when they can be replaced at no cost.

Playing in a covers band is a world away from playing your own stuff. From a musician's point of view anyway. Maybe it's not so obvious to the average punter.

Covers band gig playing songs by Abba, Madness, Beatles, and other well-known acts: 200 per musician down to, say, 50 quid per person.
Originals gig playing your songs: 20 quid per person down to zero quid.

Mathematical conclusion: The quality ratio that compares songs by Abba, Madness, Beatles, and other well-known acts to your songs ranges from 10 to infinity.

So, these songs are, at minimum,10 times better than your songs, ranging to infinitely better.

Mathematics is telling you to quit writing songs. Can you argue with mathematics?

Covers band gig playing songs by Abba, Madness, Beatles, and other well-known acts: 200 per musician down to, say, 50 quid per person.
Originals gig playing your songs: 20 quid per person down to zero quid.

Mathematical conclusion: The quality ratio that compares songs by Abba, Madness, Beatles, and other well-known acts to your songs ranges from 10 to infinity.

So, these songs are, at minimum,10 times better than your songs, ranging to infinitely better.

Mathematics is telling you to quit writing songs. Can you argue with mathematics?
They Might Be Giants made a good bit of cash writing original songs about mathematics

Bear in mind,

The rubberbandits have over 40,000 monthly listeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back