DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
sounds fine to my ears - but i've never played a bass before so nothing to compare it to. there's a little bit of a hum, but i suspect the wire earthing off the bridge might not be making good contact.

sounds fine to my ears - but i've never played a bass before so nothing to compare it to. there's a little bit of a hum, but i suspect the wire earthing off the bridge might not be making good contact.

Would still suggest upgrading the pickups and pots etc. if you go to the trouble of making a cool body - 50-60quid extra could make a big difference to overall sound quality!

well, i've started; i realised that one of the pieces i had was almost the perfect size (once chopped in half and glued back together) for a guitar body. i haven't decided yet what will make up the rest of the thickness of the body.

PXL_20230127_205531698.jpg

well, i've started; i realised that one of the pieces i had was almost the perfect size (once chopped in half and glued back together) for a guitar body. i haven't decided yet what will make up the rest of the thickness of the body.

View attachment 16611

I’ve been basically using a double layer of planks - so - 4 piece body.
Believe it or not I might have some bits left over I could give back to you?
Have to one of the teak window boards from me dad as well which I haven’t touched.
Let me know the dimensions you’re working with

Cheers - I was aiming for about 45mm thick and was toying with being perverse and using oak for the bottom layer...
I need to plane the piece in the photo above, on both sides, so not quite sure yet how thick it's going to be.

Cheers - I was aiming for about 45mm thick and was toying with being perverse and using oak for the bottom layer...
I need to plane the piece in the photo above, on both sides, so not quite sure yet how thick it's going to be.

Why not! You still have a rake of it! It wouldn’t be any heavier than the boards your currently using
Yeah some of those makore boards aren’t 100% square/even across their width - got caught with that the last build

The teak is about 25mm iirc

View attachment 16611

Right behind you… could this be the start of the thumped guitar build off phenomenon? 25288DB5-9DB7-4667-AC42-1546EB838ADF.jpeg

i was dreading the prospect of laminating all that oak together, with the resulting unevenness which i'd then have to laboriously plane away - and then remembered i've made myself a router sled...

no - i'm going to use this as the top surface, but i'm planing it thinner, because i think it'll look better this being thinner, and making the oak thicker. good upper body workout, planing a minimum of4mm of wood off (i'm taking it down from 19mm to 15mm or thinner). i'm also correcting a little bit of twist in it as i go.

that plane pictured, i've set up as a scrub plane so it takes the wood off reasonably quickly.

PXL_20230129_202523586.jpg

no - i'm going to use this as the top surface, but i'm planing it thinner, because i think it'll look better this being thinner, and making the oak thicker. good upper body workout, planing a minimum of4mm of wood off (i'm taking it down from 19mm to 15mm or thinner). i'm also correcting a little bit of twist in it as i go.

that plane pictured, i've set up as a scrub plane so it takes the wood off reasonably quickly.

View attachment 16613

you planning to cut a rough shape out of both layers and then laminate? I've tended to put the overall block together and then cut. there's something to be said for both approaches...

i had been mulling that over but got impatient - one reason though was i figured it'd be easier to get some clamps nearer to the centre of the body.

i had been mulling that over but got impatient - one reason though was i figured it'd be easier to get some clamps nearer to the centre of the body.

yeah - a bass body is bigger than anything I've made so far. even the bouzouki is more or less smallish.

I use other planks to try to distribute pressure across the overall board (s). getting a really tight joint at what will be the cut edges is most important I've found.

With the last built I was largely working in the cold, but got really nice joints. And then brought the thing inside to trial it strung, left in the sitting room over night, and the board dried out and separated!

Fixable - but annoying.

This is my template for the shape I’m aiming for - designed as much from experience of trying to cut 45mm lumps of hardwood in tight curves with a jigsaw as much as anything else. Not sure if it’s more folk of the fairy forest or barbarella
99A27460-95D1-4FAC-B741-8502EE1AFCE6.jpeg
Also the mahogany pieces for the back undergoing their ritual torture. A bit of planing ahead with these for sure..
EC72BACC-D91D-47BE-8369-F8561F13EFE5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back