DIY Guitar Messing About (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
Am meeting a lad tomorrow who sells wood turning supplies. Will be buying some 600 grit sandpaper, anything you'd like that I could pick up for you?

9B289FAA-C564-4A4B-8A35-12A2F233A9E5.jpeg The acid test of it being a functional instrument. I deliberately made the neck a bit thick as there’s no truss rod, but with the limited tension on the short scale there is zero neck relief, so I’ll have to shim the bridge to increase string angle at the first few frets. I slanted the neck backwards (like a Gibson neck) so action will still be nice and low anyway. A little annoyed as I was originally thinking of making an electric Mandola (8 strings) but was worried about the lack of truss rod. Learnings’ as my yank colleagues would say.

View attachment 16094The acid test of it being a functional instrument. I deliberately made the neck a bit thick as there’s no truss rod, but with the limited tension on the short scale there is zero neck relief, so I’ll have to shim the bridge to increase string angle at the first few frets. I slanted the neck backwards (like a Gibson neck) so action will still be nice and low anyway. A little annoyed as I was originally thinking of making an electric Mandola (8 strings) but was worried about the lack of truss rod. Learnings’ as my yank colleagues would say.
getting the bridge right on this is breaking my balls. I do think it'll be a little ripper presuming I can get things sorted - combination of low action, narrow/small fretwire and metal strings is unusual feeling.

Grain filled. A dusty afternoon ahead as I sand it back. Starting to look a bit like an instrument rather than random bits of wood. Still unsure re finish - whether to use Color or just the ruby shellac which is kinda red-gold old vanish like C95FCDE8-5CA8-486B-A84A-C914CE93C505.jpeg

i was watching a 'salvage hunters: the restorers' program this morning and one of the restorer people was making shellac by smashing up an old 78 and leaving it to dissolve in meths for a couple of days.

i was watching a 'salvage hunters: the restorers' program this morning and one of the restorer people was making shellac by smashing up an old 78 and leaving it to dissolve in meths for a couple of days.

That’s next level salvage shit. I really want to try it! I thought shellac effectively cross linked too much to disolve after a certain point

she wanted a black shellac anyway, which would limit the use of the shellac in making it up that way, i guess. 9:20 in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

she wanted a black shellac anyway, which would limit the use of the shellac in making it up that way, i guess. 9:20 in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The irony of an antique restoration narrator referring to “an old vinyl”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back