DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
My next project/challenge - to turn these 4 bits of random hardwood (courtesy of @magicbastarder) into the body of what will either be a short scale tenor guitar, or a class of tenor ukulele . There’s an old teak window board that will form the neck

Attachments

• 63F6C5A4-A0B6-4C59-9831-F90D88CEB07D.jpeg
    63F6C5A4-A0B6-4C59-9831-F90D88CEB07D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Seriously @JohnnyRaz, if you going to walk us through the build of a thing and then NOT post a video of it being played at the end then I'd rather you didn't bother, Come on man!

Here’s one from a while back - 10note kalimba - I only made one like this as pickup placement was difficult due to size, and ended up a bit bass heavy. Ya get the idea. The 17 note ones sound similar but more balanced
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

From trad to sonic attack. For some reason I decided to put the slide on the wrong finger. So shit playing aside, ya get the drift
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

that's all well and good, but fix your curtain rings man

Could I pick your brains for a moment? I, an ill-informed drummer am working with a songwriter who uses a pedal to generate beats and then play over. We've played live together a couple of times. There's a constant live and rehearsal problem for me which we want to fix, and it is this: I need to hear the drumbeat on its own. He can't currently route it out separately to me. I've suggested a few things but he's resolutely against laptops, backing tracks and midi stuff. He's fairly resolute about his current workflow and I don't want to force him into a long and expensive process of acquiring and relearning massively new tech. Is there a reasonably priced pedal which will allow him to route out a rhythm on its own while also allowing him to layer up all his stuff to his own amp? Like a pedal with assignable outputs? I'm sure there is but I know nattin. Thanks all!

Is it a loop layering type pedal and does he only use for beats?

If that was the case a signal splitter straight after it could send it's output where both of you need it. @moose knows more about the technicals of this. I'd probably be lazy and use a DI box but i think there are ways to do it with better fidelity.

I know fuck all about loop pedals but this sounds like one that has beats/patterns built in without an output for them separate from the rest of the loops.

I know fuck all about loop pedals but this sounds like one that has beats/patterns built in without an output for them separate from the rest of the loops.

I had a quick google there this morning - and didn't spot any reasonably priced (for me a reasonably priced pedal is <150euro) versions that had a separate line out for the drums.

does he use the pedal to program in his own beats, or is he just using preset loops?

@ann post, @JohnnyRaz and Moose, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the input. Srsly.
If I read you correctly, Moose, (I'm assuming a typo and you meant to write "with" an output, rather than "without") this is exactly right. He uses his amp presently, a Line6 thing which has preset beats. He triggers a beat then loops vocals, synth stuff and guitar with the pedal which is part of the amp setup. It's fine for a while but when he gets into it there are lots of layers and I'm quickly and disastrously lost. It's far from ideal for several reasons but that's what we've got. He's resistant to moving to anything more complicated than perhaps another pedal, so I'm attempting to be pragmatic and constructive so I'm starting there.

@ann post a signal splitter won't work, he uses the one pedal so whatever goes into the splitter will always have all of his stuff on it. The engineer have been doing that anyway, for FOH and monitor mixes so I've tried getting surgical with eq but it doesn't make any substantial difference.

@JohnnyRaz afaik he only uses presets. This is something I'm very keen to change but in the short term that'll only happen if the pedal-with-the-line-out-for-drums-only also happens to have some kind of programmable space too.

The idea of a line out with just the drums seems simple enough to me, but that seems to be exactly the difficult part....I have been looking but I'm not great at reading tech specs for this kind of thing and I haven't found anything yet.
I honestly think something like an MPC with a trigger pedal would do it, but that's not going to happen. So perhaps there's just this great cheap-ish pedal in the ether waiting to be found.

Anyway...I have a couple of months to figure out some kind of solution so if anything comes to mind please @ me

Sound.

Edit: I mean, ffs, he uses Ableton to compose stuff on, there's a solution right there, but it's not going to happen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back