DIY Guitar Messing About (6 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
Too clever for my own good. Failed a mock up toda. Think I might be going back to plan a. View attachment 15661
C021C7EC-0DCF-4BC8-B044-125991D95DF6.jpeg
One more cannibalised cheap bridge later.. we have her cracked. Now just have to get the neck fitted right and the nut cut.

Incidentally- @ernesto @magicbastarder @moose - do ye know anyone who could cut me a bridge plate blank (basically 10x40mm angle in 3mm steel)???

currently trying to plan out how i'm going to glue this worktop up; and wondering where i'll get a perfectly flat surface about 2' x 6' i can do so too.

View attachment 15719

Have you tried wondering in the kitchen about where you'd find 60.9cm x 182.88cm flat surface?

Otherwise from the looks it just seems to be thing that's level in 4 supportive places and you can DIY one on a floor with shims and scrapwood.

yeah, that's kinda what i was thinking - but even the shitey old kitchen carcass they're sitting on is not *that* bad - it's a little twisted but not really cupped or bowed, so even a little shim on the floor underneath it might make it flat enough. i'm not going to get perfection anyway, will have to plane the top.
i should be able to borrow enough clamps for the glue up, i think.

i'm not finished planing (i.e. thicknessing) the wood either; it's not all a uniform thickness, and i'll need that for gluing up, and i'll individually plane the top of each length, if even just to knock the high spots off to make the final planing quicker.
the thing is going to weigh a fierce amount when it's done. but i guess that's the point.

Last edited:
yeah, that's kinda what i was thinking - but even the shitey old kitchen carcass they're sitting on is not *that* bad - it's a little twisted but not really cupped or bowed, so even a little shim on the floor underneath it might make it flat enough. i'm not going to get perfection anyway, will have to plane the top.
i should be able to borrow enough clamps for the glue up, i think.

i'm not finished planing (i.e. thicknessing) the wood either; it's not all a uniform thickness, and i'll need that for gluing up, and i'll individually plane the top of each length, if even just to knock the high spots off to make the final planing quicker.
the thing is going to weigh a fierce amount when it's done. but i guess that's the point.
Could you do it in sections??

Another batch of these coming along 7CE8A658-5A14-47C3-928A-DBD79A34D74E.jpeg

am half tempted to have a go at a guitar myself. where do old electric guitars go to die, in case there are some old shitty ones knocking around i could scavenge parts from to practice with?

am half tempted to have a go at a guitar myself. where do old electric guitars go to die, in case there are some old shitty ones knocking around i could scavenge parts from to practice with?

you might be looking at one in the page above!

you'd probably be better set up in terms of tools and skilz to do it than I am

adverts has loads of stuff, you could probably pick up a tele or strat copy for under 100 quid to use for parts or a template.

it might sound like circular reasoning, but both thomann and gear4music do cheap kits - the critical bit is the neck as that has to be bang on.

i guess a lot of guitars would have a glued neck anyway so very difficult to yank out?

any fender type (strat tele) are all blot on.
lots of cheaper LP copies also bolt on.

without getting into the nerd hole of guitar history - a lot of the things that give fender guitars their look and sound were innovations to make them cheaper to produce

you'd probably be better set up in terms of tools and skilz to do it than I am
not really! my basic hand tool skills aren't great, and that's one thing making my own workbench will hopefully address. i did do a basic woodworking evening class a few years ago, in hartstown - mortice and tenon joints, that sort of thing, but i never really got to practice afterwards.

not really! my basic hand tool skills aren't great, and that's one thing making my own workbench will hopefully address. i did do a basic woodworking evening class a few years ago, in hartstown - mortice and tenon joints, that sort of thing, but i never really got to practice afterwards.

if you can make a reasonable mortice and tenon joint then you'd be well able to make a passable guitar body. if you had a 400mmx500mm offcut of your laminated bench you could have fun.

how complex is the wiring in effects pedals? i.e. could you make an effects pedal from a block of wood?
Now.. you could buy the guts in kit form - something nice and simple like a basic fuzz or distortion.
There used to be a guy called ‘general guitar gadgets’ online - bought a few things off him years ago. Good well laid out kits and clear instructions.
Not fool proof but not too challenging either.

However - complex is a relative term!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back