DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
was getting the neck attached and lined up, a difficult job?

As it was a kit the neck/bridge allignment had been done (although they made a hames of the holes for the bridge - had to fill and re drill) and was spot on.
Doing it with non kit parts is obviously harder, but not too much do. You get the bridge placement based on the centre line of the dry fitted neck, and then use the strings to align the neck before drilling.
The pick guard I had bought separately, so the holes didn’t match up, so had to file openings and re drill. Having the pickups in help get it centred on the poles pieces.

BA0E954F-1606-4E56-97DB-09E8D9611F5C.jpeg
Fully dressed! Pickups are relatively cheapo ones but wanted to try hss. Have the hb running as a single coil, with a push pull to unsplit it. It’s on its own volume as well to balance it with the sc.

The middle pickup has the wrong coloured wires for hot/ground so I’ve ended up wiring it out of phase, a bit of a pain but a 5 min job to resolder.

Sounds and plays pretty decent overall, but if tweaking the setup to do.

Taking into account that I sold off most of the original hardware, total project cost about 160, which ain’t bad I think

Attachments

• 22F0D53E-3539-473F-A89B-779AFB1E2953.jpeg
    22F0D53E-3539-473F-A89B-779AFB1E2953.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
cheers - there's a cabinet maker i know out north county dublin direction i'd been thinking of asking about it too; he used to run the french polishing classes in the rediscovery centre in ballymun.

I just upgraded the input in my Offset Telecaster. I put in a 4 contact thing. Sure enough it was too big to go into the metal plate so I had to drill it wider. Didn't take long. The soldering part was a pain in the arse. They fucking eyes are fading. Only took two goes.

Modder.

I just upgraded the input in my Offset Telecaster. I put in a 4 contact thing. Sure enough it was too big to go into the metal plate so I had to drill it wider. Didn't take long. The soldering part was a pain in the arse. They fucking eyes are fading. Only took two goes.

Modder.
You need to put in a 4way switch next…

cheers - there's a cabinet maker i know out north county dublin direction i'd been thinking of asking about it too; he used to run the french polishing classes in the rediscovery centre in ballymun.
Do you know is there any place in Dublin I could get a hardwood panel - 3 or 5mm thick? There’s a modelling place in Uk that sells them, but would rather not deal with the hassle of ordering from Uk at the mo…

have you tried that place just down off richmond road? they offer a cutting service on site AFAIK; i've never been there but they've a reputation for being very friendly.

have you tried that place just down off richmond road? they offer a cutting service on site AFAIK; i've never been there but they've a reputation for being very friendly.

Yeah - there a good spot in general, just round the corner from me. Don’t think they’d carry something like that - they’d have ply mind. Looking for some thin hardwood to make a basic musical instrument as a next project (something like a thumb piano or lyre type harp yoke)

so, my carpenter contact said it'd be very hard to find a supplier in ireland doing that off the shelf, there's no demand for it, but to ring noel in the carpentry store in Naas who might know if anyone has stuff like that.

my french polisher friend said he might be able to help, he has some nice old table leaves but "The table leaves are usually 20mm thick and would need to be brought to a joinery shop to be re-sawn. I don't have a bandsaw big enough for that. But he'd end up with some beautiful unique timber. If he could let me know what sort of dimensions he's looking for I can have a look."

so, my carpenter contact said it'd be very hard to find a supplier in ireland doing that off the shelf, there's no demand for it, but to ring noel in the carpentry store in Naas who might know if anyone has stuff like that.

my french polisher friend said he might be able to help, he has some nice old table leaves but "The table leaves are usually 20mm thick and would need to be brought to a joinery shop to be re-sawn. I don't have a bandsaw big enough for that. But he'd end up with some beautiful unique timber. If he could let me know what sort of dimensions he's looking for I can have a look."
Thanks man! I might end up going through that Uk shop for my first experiments then - don’t want to waste peoples time/ my money on stuff that might end up as firewood!

I have hardwood boards cluttering up the shed you'd be welcome to experiment on but they may be too dry at this point. They'd need to be resawn though, they're about 22mm thick IIRC. What surface dimensions would you need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back