DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
arrived this morning.
bodies an incredibly well matched 3-piece, not full thickness, but not too far off (about 43mm thick). some errant looking drilling, but nothing beyond my capacity to fix.
necks grand too excusing the usual big ugly plastic nut.
hardware is so-so - will keep it to get it set up. Electrics similar. will probably shift them on adverst for a pittance.
This will probably take me a few months to work through, but has potential..worth a punt at the price for the body alone...
IMG_2860.jpg IMG_2861.jpg

how fine do you intend sanding to?

i'd say its been sanded to 120, but not consistently, so I'll work from 120-400, grain fill sand 220-400, stain and then shellac/french polish (I've actually more or less figured out the 'spiriting out' part of french polishing, which renders it distinct from simply fucking the stuff on)

Plan is to stain with mahogany red dye, and then use 'brown' shellac as top coat. this gives a lovely honey red color on the scrap pieces I've been messing with. we shall see...

will be interested to see how you fare, i've never actually used shellac.
do you hand sand or random orbital it?

I've had good success with using shellac on a guitar neck recently - but as mentioned I've been practicing the technique a bit more recently so it's a little more 'french polishing' and a little less 'slapping it on and sanding back'.
I'd hand sand with a wooden block.
I'm a little worried re the grain - I've had good success with home made grain filler before (basically fine surface filler + black poster paint), but the grain is some nice and deep on this I want to make it a feature.

I've had good success with using shellac on a guitar neck recently - but as mentioned I've been practicing the technique a bit more recently so it's a little more 'french polishing' and a little less 'slapping it on and sanding back'.
I'd hand sand with a wooden block.
I'm a little worried re the grain - I've had good success with home made grain filler before (basically fine surface filler + black poster paint), but the grain is some nice and deep on this I want to make it a feature.
Neck cut and finished

Attachments

• 33B72B49-A634-4DCF-BA20-5FCA3125B749.jpeg
    33B72B49-A634-4DCF-BA20-5FCA3125B749.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 9DC7E2E6-78FB-4156-B7A0-8F258384C515.jpeg
    9DC7E2E6-78FB-4156-B7A0-8F258384C515.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
i'd be tempted to soak that in stale tea and then rusty vinegar (note: i have not tried this approach; just rusty vinegar on oak)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back