DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 48K
  • Watchers 4
New thread??

I have the 240v version of one of these:

It does have a switch rather than a trigger.

I should say I have never ever used this nor any other router. I got it when a client was downsizing. They decided to auction as much as they could, and throw away anything 240v. So I salvaged a couple of cool things. Though I have no real use for them.

New thread??

I should say I have never ever used this nor any other router. I got it when a client was downsizing. They decided to auction as much as they could, and throw away anything 240v. So I salvaged a couple of cool things. Though I have no real use for them.

240v and a Blue passport?

New thread??

You won't cut much with that thing pictured

That's certainly not the same item, but it was only a quick google. Whatever I have is older and I haven't really been able to have a go of it.

The post was more about the switch/trigger question, with added colour.

Second dick about. Getting the hang a bit more and held properly the switch location is easy to keep your hand on, so a little dangerous.

With a bit of set up and care it’ll do at least one of the three things I might use it for (truss rod channel)
The bit comes with a 3mm template collar - so I might be able to use it to rout pickups etc with a bit of prep.

2508F244-2D36-48FB-8615-569BCC9924A0.jpeg

you do realise the link you posted is a picture of a lad with a 'gary liniker you shithouse' placard?

No. No I did not realise that.
Thank you for having the decency to tell me. Otherwise you'd all be laughing at me and I wouldn't know why, and I'm self conscious enough around you lot as it is.
Sorry for muddling the thread.

Something like this I think. But I don't know anymore.

@JohnnyRaz

Just a few tips - for cuts more than 3mm it's better to do them in stages with hardwood - some softwoods you'll get away with 15mm depth easily but if possible graduate them.

I was a bit surprised by the square foot on it, the vague idea with a round one being that if you make a jig you have constant distance to centre with a round footprint and little more freedom work your arms into the cut.

However being 600w it might be less of a thing and you can probably combo with drill to make pickup cuts.

I do use some of the inbuilt depth guages but over time I found a vernier calipers, preferrable plastic makes a great companion tool. You can set cut depth better IMHO. The metal ones will eventually fuck up a piece when you drop it with the pointy bits.

@JohnnyRaz

Just a few tips - for cuts more than 3mm it's better to do them in stages with hardwood - some softwoods you'll get away with 15mm depth easily but if possible graduate them.

I was a bit surprised by the square foot on it, the vague idea with a round one being that if you make a jig you have constant distance to centre with a round footprint and little more freedom work your arms into the cut.

However being 600w it might be less of a thing and you can probably combo with drill to make pickup cuts.

I do use some of the inbuilt depth guages but over time I found a vernier calipers, preferrable plastic makes a great companion tool. You can set cut depth better IMHO. The metal ones will eventually fuck up a piece when you drop it with the pointy bits.

yeah thanks - the staged cutting for deeper cuts is something I figured out (see channel on the right of picture versus the left). Three passes gets me down to the right depth.

I was thinking similar for the pickup routs - use the 6mm bit to effectively scribe a channel round the edge of the rout, drill out some of the 'fill', and then perhaps use a wider bit, forstner or a chisel to chop out remainder.

Not perfect cosmetically - I misjudged where I clamped the guide and had to do it in two runs. But 15mins, as opposed to about 2hrs with a chisel, and will work 100% well once drilled the headstock for the nut. I could come round to these router yokes yet A50AE7FE-E411-4063-B030-AC177F458649.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back