DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 48K
  • Watchers 4
unfortunately they neglected to include the nut and washer which holds each pot in place onto the scratchplate. i assembled it minus the electrics, and it seems grand (with a bit of fettling on intonation etc.), but i'll have to get on to them now about the missing pieces (also missing are the nuts for the straps, but they're not as crucial).

unfortunately they neglected to include the nut and washer which holds each pot in place onto the scratchplate. i assembled it minus the electrics, and it seems grand (with a bit of fettling on intonation etc.), but i'll have to get on to them now about the missing pieces (also missing are the nuts for the straps, but they're not as crucial).

That’s pretty poor.. you mean the strap lugs?
I have loads of spare pot nuts (and indeed pots) if helpful… although they’ll probably just offer to send ya another kit…

Sorry if I’ve poorly advised you! The two kits I got off them had all the parts :)

i called around to the chap i know (amateur harp maker) who has a load of tropical hardwood from PNG in his shed, was sounding him out about using some to make a new body, but he said it'd be way too heavy and dense for a guitar body, but reckons it'd be perfect for a neck or fretboard, if i ever get to the point where i want to try making one from scratch.

i called around to the chap i know (amateur harp maker) who has a load of tropical hardwood from PNG in his shed, was sounding him out about using some to make a new body, but he said it'd be way too heavy and dense for a guitar body, but reckons it'd be perfect for a neck or fretboard, if i ever get to the point where i want to try making one from scratch.

you could always look to chamber it, and put a top of some description on it. thats more or less what I did with the most recent build...

What kind of hardwood was it?

not sure, i saw some of it once briefly.
long story short, it was originally a wedding present to a couple he knew vaguely (a pallet of wood from PNG) and they had no clue what to do with it, so gave it to him years ago; he's a cabinet maker by trade.

That’s pretty poor.. you mean the strap lugs?
I have loads of spare pot nuts (and indeed pots) if helpful… although they’ll probably just offer to send ya another kit…

Sorry if I’ve poorly advised you! The two kits I got off them had all the parts :)
heh, they don't have the spare parts in stock so are suggesting i return the whole kit for a replacement or refund...
what didn't ship are the bits marked M, R, and S; would you have R and S? sending the whole thing back for a replacement just seems like a shed load of hassle for tiny parts.

PXL_20230125_175809832.jpg

heh, they don't have the spare parts in stock so are suggesting i return the whole kit for a replacement or refund...
what didn't ship are the bits marked M, R, and S; would you have R and S? sending the whole thing back for a replacement just seems like a shed load of hassle for tiny parts.

View attachment 16606

Hi I probably would - you mightn't need two nuts for every pot. Is S the larger nut for the jackplug? I think I have one of those loose.

whats the diameter of the pots btw - shaft size is normally the same for mini and full sized pots but sometimes can change.

can have a look this afternoon/evening.

as mentioned before I'd be happy to wire the thing for you with new pots/pickups etc if you wanted also at some point in the future.

moose - i got sorted with JR, thanks. gear4music agreed a partial refund of a tenner (my suggestion), easier for everyone.

JR, what's the wood?

Golden teak (I think) - one of the many bits of wood I got off you. Going to use the mahogany boards from the footstand from the bottom of the body, and some makore for the neck. All from you!!

brilliant, good to see them being used, they'd been knocking around the shed for years. are they a bit paler in the photo than in real life? i think they might have been window boards.
the bass is up and running fine now, thank you.

brilliant, good to see them being used, they'd been knocking around the shed for years. are they a bit paler in the photo than in real life? i think they might have been window boards.
the bass is up and running fine now, thank you.

Yeah - it’s a lovely golden colour with a lot of ‘lights’ in real life. Depending on how it all works out I might finish in a clear coat as I think I’ve managed to match the grain reasonably nicely.

Glad bass is working! How does it sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back