DIY Guitar Messing About (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 49K
  • Watchers 4
yeah, just that i have a few other things i was going to order there, would have been easier to bundle them up.
i see the carpentry store have japanese wood planes in stock now too. would love to have a go of one.
go to 1:10 in here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if you like that sort of video, try just searching for GGBO on youtube.
you'll get a bundle of the entries of people building one off electric guitars for the Great Guitar Build Off. i think ben in crimson guitars kicked that off.

that rasp is great. i'm making a replacement handle for an old plane which one belonged to my grandfather; the wood came from a tree which was growing 40 foot from where the shed is. not going for authenticity; it's a repair not a restoration, i just used the wood i had available.

PXL_20230107_160654864.jpg

PXL_20230107_184124975.jpg

that rasp is great. i'm making a replacement handle for an old plane which one belonged to my grandfather; the wood came from a tree which was growing 40 foot from where the shed is. not going for authenticity; it's a repair not a restoration, i just used the wood i had available.

View attachment 16543

View attachment 16544

It’s a joy the use - my only minor complaint is that it sometimes cuts deeper at the sides if you’re working perpendicular to the piece. But you can clean the marks easily with a few parallel strokes.

Currently researching a fret slot cutting saw.. next build I think I’m going to kick it up a notch (see what I did there) by making the whole thing from scratch, including the fretboard

just gave a couple of silly high frets on the bouzouki a shot with this little kit.
we are now in 'plays like butter mannnn' territory (or at least adjacent to it).

highly recommended for anyone tinkering with guitar or guitars.. going to give the tele a dart next time I change the strings..

tempted, i think my wife has mentioned she'd like a bass. the link he provides in the ad (to underline that it's a fair price) shows weirdly high prices...

Unless you have the wherewithal to finish it with something really hard like poly I’d steer clear of basswood bodies - very easy to work on, takes stains very nicely, but soft as butter and will dent and ding through normal use very very quickly.

For the money I’d get this if you were looking for a kit

i was curious as to the quality of the components - wouldn't necessarily keep the body, as that's something i'd like to make myself at some point, maybe use the supplied one as a template; it'd be the neck and hardware which i'd be most interested in i think.
the pickups look cosmetically similar between those two though.

i was curious as to the quality of the components - wouldn't necessarily keep the body, as that's something i'd like to make myself at some point, maybe use the supplied one as a template; it'd be the neck and hardware which i'd be most interested in i think.
the pickups look cosmetically similar between those two though.

Based on experience there’d probably not be a lot to choose between them in terms of hardware - I can vouch for the gear4music kits having half decent hardware.
Id look at better pickups, pots, etc though.. electrical parts in all but the most expensive kits are bottom of the barrel, and you’ll hear a shit pickup a lot more readily than a slightly subpar bridge. Id be happy to suggest alternatives & wire it up for you if helpful

I was gonna talk you into DIYing one of those posh japanese planes, not even for me, just so i could look at a picture of it online. This guitar body idea is detracting from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back