pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Then:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now:

Earlier this week, a video called "Dirty Girls" went viral on YouTube—and not for the reasons you'd expect, given the title. The documentary video, originally shot in 1996 by filmmaker (and then high school senior) Michael Lucid, was released in 2000 and chronicles a group of outcasts, refered to by their tormentors as the "Dirty Girls," who pride themselves on riot grrrl ethos, being different, and just not giving a fuck. The video focuses on the two leaders of the Dirty Girls, sisters Amber and Harper, who speak clearly and eloquently (as eloquently as an eighth grader can be expected to) about their convictions, while girls in sunglasses and jean jackets talk smack about them behind their backs. Not only is the documentary a perfect time capsule for people who went to high school in the 90s, it also perfectly captures two strong, independent young people speaking their minds and doing their own thing.

When I first watched "Dirty Girls," I loved it. I sent it around to everyone in the VICE offices, and they loved it, too. We all decided that we really needed to track down the original Dirty Girls and see what they were up to today. It turned to be not that difficult a task. Harper lives in New York City and was gracious enough to visit our offices, where I chatted with her and her sister, Amber, who joined us via Skype.

http://www.vice.com/read/i-talked-to-the-dirty-girls-seventeen-years-later

Wow. That's really is a slice of the mid 90s. Most of the girls on there are on the verge of being 'dirty' with the way they look. It's not far off and when the 'alternative' look started to come into fashion and everyone went grunge. Gave me a chuckle because it reminded me of high school.

The bit with the older, more savvy girls pulling apart the zine is very good. Whole thing reminds me of Heavy Metal Parking Lot which is just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back