Derry Girls (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
The TV show, not the wans. Have any of ye watched it yet? I think it is gas crack altogether. It's not perfect in terms of historical verisimilitude. They're awful for blending up the cultural year references. However, overall I think it is gas, the cast is deadly, especially Michelle, and the music, ambience etc is unreal. Most of my colleagues are watching it and are loving it, it is silly but amazing hi.

I'm really enjoying it also - nice references to (or steals from) Father Ted and Only Fools & Horses. I could do without hearing I'm Shipping Up To Boston every episode though. Surely they could've found something of the time to use!

I'm really enjoying it also - nice references to (or steals from) Father Ted and Only Fools & Horses. I could do without hearing I'm Shipping Up To Boston every episode though. Surely they could've found something of the time to use!

The 'bound for boston' was (not sure if still is) a bar that was a mainstay of derry for years. It, the gweedore and the dungloe take their names from the tradition of people coming in from the sticks to leave the country via the boat to america from derry quay. likewise when you returned (from scotland working, or america) tyou held up drinking in the gweedore/dungloe bars in the hope of flagging a lift on cart or something back to the wilds of donegal.

I don't think its a class song or anything but its very oddly tied with derry history.

The 'bound for boston' was (not sure if still is) a bar that was a mainstay of derry for years. It, the gweedore and the dungloe take their names from the tradition of people coming in from the sticks to leave the country via the boat to america from derry quay. likewise when you returned (from scotland working, or america) tyou held up drinking in the gweedore/dungloe bars in the hope of flagging a lift on cart or something back to the wilds of donegal.

I don't think its a class song or anything but its very oddly tied with derry history.
This is great but like the song didn't come out until 2005 I think and it is used in loads of episodes. I suspect it is used because it is an auto-signifier of Irish malarkey for non-Irish audience as much as anything.

Half the people I know seem to be watching this now. As I said in my initial post, it is not perfect, but it is extremely endearing.

Some of it reminds me of Derry in the 00s and 10s too.

I’m enjoying it, though the last episode I saw (the Orange march one) felt a bit flat in comparison to the earlier ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back