Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (1 Viewer)

Squack

HI all, bit of a depressing thread, but has anyone here from anxiety or depression or just contant fear, so much so its hard to get dressed or leave the house and you have constant nausea and vomitting?
ta:(

Re: Depression

Squack said:
HI all, bit of a depressing thread, but has anyone here from anxiety or depression or just contant fear, so much so its hard to get dressed or leave the house and you have constant nausea and vomitting?
yes. get counselling. for serious.

Squack said:
jesus...drive us all to drink on a friday.. great plan...

yeah...my flat mate fot cannibis psychosis really badly about two years ago. never left his room for three days then had to go to hospital and stuff. ireland is almost the depression capital of the whole world (way to go...). yeah..its super common. I used to be up on it but i'm lame now.

bus coming..later dude...

Squack said:
Yeah I spent a couple of months about 3 years ago sleeping till 5 or 6 every day, and generally moping around the house, feeling sorry for myself for no reason. I got over it though, on my own. Ive noticed that alot of people around 20, 21 seem to go through a phase of it at some stage, a couple of friends of mine went to the doctor and were prescribed stuff, and to be honest it did them the world of good.

Squack I'm sorry for you or whoever it is you know that is going through that. There are ways and means of getting around it that I won't go into unless you really wanna hear them.

William Glasser founder of 'reality therapy' or 'choice theory', believes that all 'mental illness' e.g depression, anxiety, schizophrenia etc., are simply manifestations of one underlying problem- the inability to fulfill our needs. He purports, (I think it's very untrue and generalised) that *all* mental ill health is simply people acting irresponsibly and making the wrong choices e.g choosing not to leave the house, choosing to be afraid because you do not want to rise to whatever challenges life throws at you.

Personally, I think that although there's some truth to that, it's a load of bollocks to generalise when it comes to people's mental well being. I hope the situation improves Mrs.

Super Dexta said:
get counselling. for serious.
lots of Irish people think you have to be stupid to go to a counsellor and we get all embarrassed about this kind of thing. We all need to wake up and realise it's best to talk to people about shit
counselling is the only way to go if you have problems

Bluto said:
lots of Irish people think you have to be stupid to go to a counsellor and we get all embarrassed about this kind of thing. We all need to wake up and realise it's best to talk to people about shit
counselling is the only way to go if you have problems
Counselling is becoming more and more common over here. I think that, yes, it can be remarkably effective in helping a person dealing with certain problems. But so can a really good frienship or family support network. Opening up to a friend, a non judgemental friend, and being there for them when they need you is the basis of most therapeutic relationships and can really help someone deal with their problems. je pense.

aoifed said:
Counselling is becoming more and more common over here. I think that, yes, it can be remarkably effective in helping a person dealing with certain problems. But so can a really good frienship or family support network. Opening up to a friend, a non judgemental friend, and being there for them when they need you is the basis of most therapeutic relationships and can really help someone deal with their problems. je pense.
i used feel awful guilty about constantly moaning at my friends though. i had one friend in particular that every time we hung out, i'd seem to end up going 'but me, me, me' and him trying to help me out, and he never seemed to resent it, but it made the friendship offal one-sided. and i was in no state to be helping anyone else with their problems. that's why i liked counselling - you can go on about yourself for an hour and not worry 'am i monopolising the conversation?' or anything. just being able to vent legitimately can be really therapeutic.
at the end of the day counselling didn't help enough and i went on antidepressants, but that's another story altogether.

but i wish more people would go to counselling. my da had to clean up the mess (literal, not figurative) left after my godfather shot himself, and my ma's tried to get him to get counselling for it, and he won't. my godfather was depressed and never got help, and it's his wife and kids that are suffering for it now.

aoifed said:
.... good frienship or family support network....
I totally agree. Family and friends are the ones around you 24/7 so you need to let them understand your situation so they can help you, and they will help you.

talking to someone about how you're feeling is a really good start.
but i agree with aoifed that the best person you can talk to is a good friend

i'm not really down with the whole doctor angle from my own experience, because i got a feeling i was being pushed towards medication as a solution and for me that just didnt work.

the best thing i ever did was knock alcohol on the head. it's made the biggest difference for me after years of trying out various things

yeah booze is a major depressant - hard to give up in this country though as social situations all revolve around it

I had it for about two or three years, hit me like a ton of bricks it did. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

got out of it, very gradually, through exercise, proper eating, counselling, playing music, listening to music, good luvvin', and "'aving a gud toime, awl the toime"

never fully goes away - like weight gain, if your predisposed to it (and most of us are)

counselling is good but only part of the solution

george mcfly said:
talking to someone about how you're feeling is a really good start.
but i agree with aoifed that the best person you can talk to is a good friend

i think that's a great start, but if you're suffering from clinical depression or any other kind of clinical mental illness, it's still a good idea to see a professional.

like, if i was physically sick, i'd see if i could try and fix it on my own, but if it went on for weeks and weeks and got so bad i couldn't leave the house, then i'd call someone who's got lots of experience of whatever was up with me for advice.

aware are great.

squack: hope you/whoever you're asking for get some use out of this thread and that things pick up soon.

helena said:
i think that's a great start, but if you're suffering from clinical depression or any other kind of clinical mental illness, it's still a good idea to see a professional.
yep. friends and family are great, but someone who's professional, qualified, and experienced (my counsellor is old enough to be my granny and she's the absolute business) is what you need if you have serious depresion. it's an illness.

sleur said:
Is the vomiting/nausea a progression on from the depression or is it the opposite?
anxiety can give you nausea and may have nothing to do with depression but the feeling ill may bring you down adding to the anxiety and so on.

broken arm said:
anxiety can give you nausea and may have nothing to do with depression but the feeling ill may bring you down adding to the anxiety and so on.
Yeah, anxiety can manifest itself in physical ailments and you can get quite ill and end up in a big heap. Talking to someone, even just your GP, about it is totally worthwhile Squack and I really hope you do. It might seem really daunting, but you'll feel better for it. xx

this probably sounds like a stupid piece of advice, but take some exercise, even if it's just a long brisk walk.i had depression for around 8 years and it's one piece of wisdom that a doctor gave me which has always stuck with me.if you're in the loop of finding it difficult to leave the house,etc., by the end of the day you just feel fucked but often in a way that won't let you sleep or relax in anyway. at least if you feel tired from some form of physical endeavour, it can aid that side of things.i hope that doesn't sound flippant.i always found insomnia one of the worst side effects of the whole thing.
be good to yourself.hope it clears up.

I would say definitely see someone about it. Your GP could reccomend someone. Its good to talk to your friends, but you can end up taking advantage of their listening..and some people cant take that on board. At least when youre talking to a doctorb*, you wont feel guilty for talking about yourself constantly.

Hope you get sorted, and the exercise rec is good. nothing beats lethargy like movement.

* the 'b' is for bargain.

not strictly depression, but i get crazy panic attacks constantly. if i feel even slightly uncomfortable in a situation i start to completely flip, and get all these crazy things happening... usually i start to get freezing cold, then have serious trouble breathing... if i cant get out then i always just pass out for a couple of mins, which is really crazy and has freaked out my friends more than a couple of times. any of this ever happen to anyone here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back