Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (2 Viewers)

Last week a FB friend posted something about their recently diagnosed borderline personality disorder, and mentioned suicidal ideation as one of the things that happened to him because of it. It's a term I'd only really heard in the wake of the the Savita case and the discussions into what could be deemed acceptable as legislation under X, I looked it up and I now realise that I had completely misunderstood what it meant, I took it to mean that a person is depressed to the point that suicide is an imminent and pressing concern where immediate action or monitoring is a good idea. In fact it's a whole wide spectrum of things from what I'd taken it to mean to the most fleeting of thoughts.

To that end I realise that I probably experience it to some degree on pretty much a daily basis, This isn't a cry for help or some shit, I'm not planning on doing anything. But it is the reality of my day to day life and I've learned to accept it and live in a mostly manageable way. But what surprised me when I read up on it was the notion that this (in the broader, milder form) is abnormal, are people not supposed to be like this? Am I not supposed to be like this? Really?

I quit Lexpro 5 yrs ago and went on to 5 HTP (you can buy online and its 100% natural..make sure its 200mg though) along with cold shower therapy. Have never looked back since. Mine was mostly anxiety related though.

I quit Lexpro 5 yrs ago and went on to 5 HTP (you can buy online and its 100% natural..make sure its 200mg though) along with cold shower therapy. Have never looked back since. Mine was mostly anxiety related though.

Psychedelics in around three rounds cured my depression/malaise and general anxiety about everything.

Not overnight, but the insights and open mind I gained allowed me to find my way out of a rut. There's now heaps of reports coming weekly about it. If I evangelise it's because it's surely worth a go, unless you're not open for any kind of experience, or, so long as you're not suffering from a multitude of conditions. I'm working on encouraging my oul lad to try it.

I was prescribed Citalopram and tossed them after less than six weeks because it felt like a plaster over a gaping wound, so to speak. Fake happiness. Counseling and monthly psych use for a while changed me profoundly. @theodore, my comrade,, will say, yeah, for the worse more than likely but he didn't know me when I was drinking a bottle of vodka a day to block out life.

I do things with a smile and self-awareness these days, however bad things get, and I will never go back in the hole again.

Psychedelics in around three rounds cured my depression/malaise and general anxiety about everything.

Not overnight, but the insights and open mind I gained allowed me to find my way out of a rut. There's now heaps of reports coming weekly about it. If I evangelise it's because it's surely worth a go, unless you're not open for any kind of experience, or, so long as you're not suffering from a multitude of conditions. I'm working on encouraging my oul lad to try it.

I was prescribed Citalopram and tossed them after less than six weeks because it felt like a plaster over a gaping wound, so to speak. Fake happiness. Counseling and monthly psych use for a while changed me profoundly. @theodore, my comrade,, will say, yeah, for the worse more than likely but he didn't know me when I was drinking a bottle of vodka a day to block out life.

I do things with a smile and self-awareness these days, however bad things get, and I will never go back in the hole again.

Delighted for you mate. Lexepro was my plaster..it worked to a point but at the expense of lucidity, energy and my feckin libido! So I did my own research and focused on an alternative way and thankfully found a way out. Have heard only positive things about psychadelic therapy and have often wondered why this had not become more mainstream. Obviously negative media but I'd big pharma doesn't want too many people kicking their products.

Even the "ban them now!" Indo carried the story.

'Magic mushrooms' drug could help with depression, trial suggests - Independent.ie

Personally I prefer other psychs, mushies are a bit icky, but psilocybin will certainly do the job alright.
Mushrooms are studied because it's easier to get an ethics board (and governmental departments) to approve over a "scary" drug like LSD. It's also why ketamine is getting the limelight as an antidepressant; it's already approved for human use as an anaesthetic even if it is abused as a psychedelic(ish) drug.

Bressie is such a dipshit.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i'm Schizoid and until recently I just thought (wrongly) it just meant I was in serious danger of getting Schizophrenia it I didn't take medication and that I had some pre schizophrenic symptoms..... but it's a separate mental disorder.

but I've now read that a lot of the symptoms associated with schizoid personality describe me very closely:
being withdrawn / solitary, no interest in relationships or having close friends, apathy/ lack of motivation, daydreaming/ fantasist (imagining doing stuff rather than really doing things), lazy etc.
and nothing to do with depression .

after all this time I thought I now have a scale I can compare myself to.
since I was 15 I've been dead set against the whole adult lifestyle. things like -
girl/boyfriends, working, having kids, mortgages, probably drink and drugs as well, etc.
none of that stuff is worth it for me.
but it goes further - I can't drive and have never had any interest in doing so. same with travelling I haven't gone on holiday since I was 17 and have no plans to ever go again. I am not able to get excited about things like this what so ever - zero motivation .
also before I got interested in music at 16 I had almost nothing going on in my life.

one of the first things that comes up on you tube if you search SCHIZOID is a slasher movie starring Klaus Kinski ! it does sound much worse than borderline personality disorder.
and mental illness is much broader than depression.

the side affects of the anti psychotic medicine i'm on
are worse than anything in my head (weight gain etc.).
but I have to take this, it will never go away and I was in a bad state before I took Risperdal.

i assumed it was something like schizophrenia too, the name makes it sound like something fairly....well...mad

"denoting or having a personality type characterized by emotional aloofness and solitary habits"

About a year ago me and my wife bought our first house. It was the most stressful thing I've ever done in my life.
The strain of buying the house and moving into with while looking after 2 small kids got a bit overwhelming for me and I started having really bad panic attacks.
I remember having to leave work one day last September because I thought I was about to collapse, it felt like my legs were aboout to go from under me.
I went to the doctor and got them to run blood tests etc because I thought there was something physically wrong with me. They found nothing wrong.
I got talking to one of my brothers who said he'd gone through something very similar.
A few years previous, he'd been getting very bad panic attacks but it took him a long time to figure out what was wrong.
He spent weeks with doctors, getting EEG scans, blood tests etc. to try and figure out what was wrong before he realised what was happening.
In one way, it was good to know what was happening and that there was nothing physically wrong with me but I still went through a few months of really horrible and intense anxiety.
For a while everything just felt incredibly daunting and overwhelming, going to work, looking after the kids, all that.
Even doing simple things like going to the shops or going to a restaurant felt like a bit of an onslaught.
Things just kind of got on top of me and I was really unhappy for a while.
I'm normally a pretty happy person and really outgoing but I found it really hard to deal with people during that period. It was a really bad time for me.
I'd gone through something similar a few years previously after an old friend of mine had committed suicide. In a way I had a frame of reference for what I was going through and knew that it wouldn't last forever but it was still a really difficult thing to live through.
I did go and see a counsellor during this time and I think that really helped. He actually recommended a book for me called Stop Thinking, Start Living. I'm not normally into that sort of thing but I do think it helped.
I also made myself go out and try and meet people as much as possible which also helped. I took up a fitness class and started doing park runs in my local park, I definitely think that helped.

On a personal level, things are going a million times better for me than they were a few months ago, I'm a lot happier. Nowadays, I just have moments of anxiety rather than entire weeks of it.
I'm writing this post for 2 reasons:
1. I kind of just want to put that period behind me and get on with my life and this is my way of underlining that. I've lived through that, now I can move on.
2. To let anyone here who's going through something similar know that you can get through it and it doesn't last forever, even though it might seem like that at the time.

Panic and anxiety attacks are fucking horrendous and I wouldn't wish them on anyone so if this post helps anyone I'll be happy.

gXqN90m.gif

I've seen what panic attacks and anxiety can do to a person. A close family member suffers from it. It's really, really awful. People don't think about the physical symptoms of anxiety, but they are horrendous.

Great to hear you got through that rough time @sleepy. Sounds like you doing all the right things to keep on top of it. Keep talking about it too.

Fair balls.

I've seen what panic attacks and anxiety can do to a person. A close family member suffers from it. It's really, really awful. People don't think about the physical symptoms of anxiety, but they are horrendous.

Great to hear you got through that rough time @sleepy. Sounds like you doing all the right things to keep on top of it. Keep talking about it too.

Fair balls.

Thanks @mark , I didn't talk about it for a long time because I didn't feel ready to. I guess I wanted to get things straight in my head first. This might sound like an odd way of putting it but I had to start thinking of that period in the past tense so that I could move on and get some perspective on it.

One thing I forgot to say in my original post was that music helped, it always does!

Last week my wife's cousin committed suicide. He was only 30 and was married with 3 kids. No one had suspected that anything was wrong with him, it came completely out of the blue for everyone. He left to go to work on Saturday morning as normal and did it then. To say that his family and friends are completely devastated is an understatement.

I guess I can't say it often enough, if you're in trouble; just ask for help. It'll be way worse for everyone if you don't.

Last week my wife's cousin committed suicide. He was only 30 and was married with 3 kids. No one had suspected that anything was wrong with him, it came completely out of the blue for everyone. He left to go to work on Saturday morning as normal and did it then. To say that his family and friends are completely devastated is an understatement.

I guess I can't say it often enough, if you're in trouble; just ask for help. It'll be way worse for everyone if you don't.

Ah. I don't have any decent response at hand but sorry to hear this, and I agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back