Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (2 Viewers)

Re: Depression

eoinbox said:
nice thread :) sorry to sound stoopid, but whats kinisiology? also, is depression hereditary? often wondered bou tha
My Dad went through a pretty serious bout of depression in 1998. It was found that he had Type B Diabetes, and he started getting treatment for that. The depression lifted after that.

I think depression is caused by many different things. I don't know if someone is born depressed. But I think they could be born with a body that's more susceptible to depression than another.

one thing that's really hard to accept is seeing someone who've known your whole life falling into depression. this happened to me recently... the person in question is someone who i admire to the ends of the earth and, even thought i haven't always agreed with them, i always knew they were there. someone to count on.

when you're in someone's company who can only see darkness, it's really hard to deal with. especially when you've always known that person to be strong. you're going "what the fuck? you've got to be kidding, right? ah sure, this will pass... you're probably just down..." but then they're the same way the next time you see them, and the next time. and now it's up to you to be strong for this person and help guide them out. and this is really really difficult. you can go on about how amazing the world is and how many different people are out there but when someone's down, they just can't see this. maybe they can but it doesn't mean anything to them. all they care about is what they've lost or what they think they've lost...

from my experience, you can only treat this with baby steps. and i completely agree with david on the exercise thing. it's important to clear your head as much as you can. taking long walks... basically ensuring you have a long period of time to mull over things when the scenery doesn't remain static seems to help. swimming is really good. i've been through the depression thing too, i found swimming an amazing release. the roots of depression can different obviously - one possibility is where the person had something bad happen to them. the other is where they had someone or something they loved taken from them. and sometimes it's can be a (un)healthy mix of the two. with the situation where something got bad and eventually blew up... i imagine this is a lot easier to guide someone out of than losing someone you love as you can show the depressed person how the situation was already bad to begin with and that they're better off out of it. how you guide someone out of losing a loved one... i wouldn't know where to start.

time heals all wounds. go for walks, go swimming and eat well. surround yourself with people you love and trust and your head will eventually adapt. there's no way you can say how long it will take.... i'm still grieving for things that have happened in my life, something makes me think i always will grieve for certain things but these things just become easier to live with over time. look to other people, because it's their love and strength combined with your own resolve that will eventually replace what you've lost. humans can be pretty amazing people.

nlgbbbblth said this...

"There are only inches between us, but there might as well be mountains and trees."

that's exactly what it feels like. and sometimes, for what might seem trivial to you, a sentiment as simple as "life is good" - it's just impossible to impart. it takes a lot of character to come of of depression and sometimes just as much to help someone through it. important thing is that you don't give in to it or accept it. because life is actually good. it might seem like a cliche, but hanging out with kids works wonders... there's something about their innocence and imagination that can cause the woes of adults to come crashing to the ground causing gigantic splashes of laughter. if you know friends with kids or if you've got nieces or nephews, go visit them.

I've known a good few people who were depressed, but the causes were mostly either because of their surroundings i.e. living in a place that is just too small and crowded
like a bedsit. Or from a serious illness which changed the way they would have
to live their life and restricted the amount of things they could do to a huge extent,
and there is really nothing you can do for them, except be there,
the don't have control of their emotions and moods so I always tried to be the exact same every time I visit them and let them talk if they want to but ignore
the fact that it was like communicating with a zombie when they didn't.
My friend who got sick got out of the depression (took nearly two years) and I stuck by her even though it was no fun being her friend and I wasn't getting anything in return, because I knew it would pass.
Also I think the fact that someone sticks by you is a constant reminder that there are people that care and reasons to live even if you don't really believe in them
right then.
I think the worst thing people can do is avoid the person until they get better or *snap out of it*.
When I was a teenager and driven into unbelievable highs and lows with whatever hormone over and underloads I was experiencing, a lot of friends distanced themselves when I wasn't fun to hang around with, which made the lows last longer and hurt more.

sarah said:
Also I think the fact that someone sticks by you is a constant reminder that there are people that care and reasons to live even if you don't really believe in them
right then.
I think the worst thing people can do is avoid the person until they get better or *snap out of it*.

This is so true. Back in the bad old days my friends visiting or calling me and generally just making me feel like I still had a connection to the world really helped and that I'm still here is to a large degree thanks to them (and medication - it's not all evil). Saying that, if you're depressed you do need to make some kind of effort to at least acknowledge your friends because it's hard for them to keep coming up against a brick wall. This might seem difficult or pointless but it's possible, and friends are usually very understanding once they know a bit more about what's going on in your head.

with regards to anxiety disorders- including panic attacks- and depression and (recreational/psychoactive) drugs, i would say:

alcohol: allievates anxiety in most cases. this may lead to misuse and dependance. in most cases it causes a euphoria (due to the slow shutting down of the higher functions of the brain), but in a few cases causes melancholia. the period during which the effect of ethyl alcohol wears off can be characterised by a return in negative thoughts, previous worries and in some cases depression.

cannabis: cannabis acts as an intensifier of mood and stimulus. bear this in mind. smoking cannabis when in a relaxed and upbeat frame of mind will make you fell thuis moreso. smoking it when depressed or down causes a degree of introspection which is not healthy. smoking cannabis when anxious or worried can catapult you straight into full blown panic. if you are going to use this substance, use it carefully, occassionally and only in a good, relaxed frame of mind. bear in mind that if you get paranoid after using, this is an effect of the substance and will wear off. avoid eating it, as it pretty much turns into an...

hallucinogen/psychedelic (e.g. psilocybin mushrooms, lsd, 2cb, dmt etc): i would have to say that if you suffer from depression or panic attacks, do not use these drugs. they can only be enjoyed when in a state of absolute mental health. excessive use of these drugs can in fact trigger psychoses. if you do use them, leave them to very special -and infrequent- occassions.

stimulants (e.g. speed, meth, cocaine, ecstasy, crack): if you suffer from panic attacks or depression, do NOT use these substances. the stimulant effect often precipitates the panic sensations, and the "comedown" from all these drugs involves a state of depression (to varying degrees depending on the drug). of all drug, these are perhaps most harmful to people with panic disorder or depression. i would also note that the repeated use of these drugs can directly cause the development in some individuals of panic attacks and depression.

dissassociatives (e.g. ketamine): causes sedation and hallucination. the detachment from reality provided by this drug offers either: a) an alternate reality which is terrifying, or b) an extremely seductive means of escape. in either case, you may be too disturbed by what you experience on, say, ketamine, for it may eiither haunt you or leave you unable to cope with everyday reality.

tranquilizers (e.g. valium, xanax, ativan, nortem, halcion, rohypnol): offer relief from panic attacks and depressive episodes, however they are highly addicitive in the sense of psychological dependance. be very careful in your use of these if they are prescribed for you.

opiates (e.g. morphine, codeine, DF118, vicodin, tramadol, opium, heroin): again, these offer relief (not only from pain) but from anxieties and negative thoughts. these are however, dangerously physically addicitive.

No drugs whatsoever. Please. For your own sake.

No alcohol.

Water. Lots of it.

If you are prescribed medication by your Doctor, that's a different story.

Preferably a Psychiatrist.

Stay away from Seroxat if you're under twenty years of age. And even then, it fucked me up, so I'd stay clear of it completely. Made me want to kill myself. Had the wherewithal to stop it there and then. Most people don't. BUT it works well for some people. But the Brits are no longer allowed to prescribe it to teenagers. There's a reason for that.

Question what your GP is giving you and why he's giving you that dosage. If you ask, they'll talk. They're not used to people askig questions. It'll make them think and re-evaluate.

Bear in mind that the side effects of any meds can be quite dodgy. Panic Attacks, feeling low(!!!!!). But usually, they only last about two weeks.

Get yourself better. That's THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

with regards to alcohol:

in my experience, if you feel in any way low, drinking will make you feel way fucking lower. and, given that booze is frequently a social drug, it has the double whammy effect of making you feel lower in an environment where you feel you ought to be having a good time. and feeling lonely in a crowd (especially a crowd of friends) is one of the most soul-destroying experiences of all.and just reinforces all the self-loathing, low self esteem stuff. like i said, that's just my experience...

Goff said:
Stay away from Seroxat if you're under twenty years of age. And even then, it fucked me up, so I'd stay clear of it completely. Made me want to kill myself. Had the wherewithal to stop it there and then. Most people don't. BUT it works well for some people. But the Brits are no longer allowed to prescribe it to teenagers. There's a reason for that.

Panorama did a documentary on this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/3705158.stm

GSK send chills down my spine.

y'no - this depression thing doesn't sound like fun atallatall
i mean, no booze, no drugs (i'm guessing copious amount of coffee and chainsmoking are no-nos too?), having to talk to people, to go outside, get exersize, fresh air and sunlight, and all that other malarky - that doesn't sound fun all - but still fair fucks to anyone with the strength to go through all that and survive

don't worry, i got me coat before i even started writing this

david said:
with regards to alcohol:

in my experience, if you feel in any way low, drinking will make you feel way fucking lower. and, given that booze is frequently a social drug, it has the double whammy effect of making you feel lower in an environment where you feel you ought to be having a good time. and feeling lonely in a crowd (especially a crowd of friends) is one of the most soul-destroying experiences of all.and just reinforces all the self-loathing, low self esteem stuff. like i said, that's just my experience...
So, so true. Couldn't agree more. If you are feeling like this don't take any drink or drugs of any kind....believe me. Alcohol is a mood enhancer it's doesn't actually make you happy. Ring a helpline if you can't bring yourself to go to a counsellor. Most colleges even run good helplines and counselling services. they're there for a reason and there is a demand for them which just shows how many people are facing similar problems

if youre really concerned. go and see your gp.

trust me. im a nurse.

for real.

heroin.jpg

spady said:
If you ever need to find solice in the shape of a song -
24 by Red House Painters - depressing as hell but its definitely got the kinship buzz going for it.
Probably best to avoid track 9 on the new Elliot Smith album - its a beautiful song though, so I suppose it could remind you of things of great beauty.
I'm going to bed now.
Might be best to lay off the Elliott Smith altogether in fact... although, there is a certain empathetic relationship that might work from it.

Most of the advice given here is so so right - especially about not being afraid to ask for help - but also about getting sleep and exercise and sunlight and fresh air as they can very much help you clean out your mind especially when you've been stuck in similar surroundings (your room/house) for a long time.

The most important thing I remembered (from my point of view) was that I always have faith in the fact that it does seem to happen to me for no particularly identifiable reason, but it also seems to drift away after a while. I don't know if its a healthy approach but it works for me, cos I don't know why it starts but I know it will go away. However, all the things said above can make it more and more likely that it will drift in and out of your life with less regularity and severity.

hag said:
"There are only inches between us, but there might as well be mountains and trees."

i remember that feeling. you avoid people, you seem like a prick, people think you don't want to talk to them but in fact it's just that you're convinced they wouldn't want to talk to you....yowza. i can remember walking awkward routes around the place coz you didn't want to bump into people. didn't see this thread till now.

i feel so bad for anyone going through this.

i hated being around people for a while, i really did.

i dissapeared for a little time and grew out of it on my own. (actually i still feel i'm moving on an upslope) i'm not recommending this as a good course of action. still can't listen to ocean songs by dirty three coz i listened to it too much around then.

i don't think i've really told anyone about it, the internet is weird for that isn't it?

but anyone who knows me....remember that year when you didn't see me very much? :( :(

anyway.....i'm still surprised to see all of you folks posting here with first hand experience. i wonder if there's some correlation between a passion for music and depressive tendencies?

anyway on with the show. this thread makes me sad too.

das nugs said:
anyway on with the show. this thread makes me sad too.

ahhh don't be sad now. I am doing my final year thesis on depression, it's more than a bit heart-wrenching. It probably isn't the best choice for me, especially in my final year when I am felling mre than a little bit overwhelmed and shitty.

yes, has happened to me. being diagnosed was actually one of the most relieving things cos it meant that i could actually identify what the fuck was wrong with me and stuff.

talking to an impartial person helped heaps.

you might as well do it now, sounds like you acknowledge you have a problem...seems like an impossible feat but depression is actually something that can be controlled with the right help. :)

Hi Kids
Was just reading everything here, such a relief to know that there are others going through this.

Have been seeing a counsellor for a year and now a clinical psychologist. She has put me on xanax temporarily and on anti depressants

feeling a bit out of it to be honest but think these are just side effects, only been on the anti depressants for less than a week..

thing with being like this is you feel really guilty because you feel you are dragging other people down and lean on your friends and family so then you try and stop yourself doing that and that doesnt help either.

anyway here's to getting well again!! and for anyone else out there in the same boat pm me!

Squack

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back