Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (1 Viewer)

Re: Depression

Alan Remorse - a few of my long-term vegetarian friends have had trouble with panic attacks. Major-league vitamin B12 supplements (or a return to eating meat or fish) have helped. Dunno if this will apply to you but it might be worth looking into

it's hard to add anything to this thread that hasn't already been said.

...but it's been an informative read and can only benefit all of us...

let's face it, Depression is very commonplace in this country

egg_ said:
Alan Remorse - a few of my long-term vegetarian friends have had trouble with panic attacks. Major-league vitamin B12 supplements (or a return to eating meat or fish) have helped. Dunno if this will apply to you but it might be worth looking into
funnily enough i was vegan for about 5 years and my doctor told me quit the whole rap...

am taking vitamins but am also on medication of epilepsy so i dunno really where to go from here...

Alan Remorse said:
funnily enough i was vegan for about 5 years and my doctor told me quit the whole rap...

am taking vitamins but am also on medication of epilepsy so i dunno really where to go from here...

have you gone to a doctor about the panic attacks? the epilepsy medication could be the cause.

Wicker said:
it's hard to add anything to this thread that hasn't already been said.

...but it's been an informative read and can only benefit all of us...

let's face it, Depression is very commonplace in this country

Its really sad. So many friends have been hit by it at one point or another.
Hope it all gets better for y'all.
:)

Re Veggiei-ism and depression.

I'm not a vegetarian but i know lots of them. Some suffer from depression, most don't. I know more people who aren't vegetarian who do. Most veggies I know are a bit more careful about what they put into their bodies than non-veggies.

However, the vitamin B12 thing is important. Nuts have loads of the stuff. It's very hard for the body to absorb in supplement form, so don't bother. Unless it's liquid. A friend of mine used to get injections of the stuff every three months and it did the trick for her up to a point.

Just watch the diet is all.

I know a few people who have killed themselves because of depression. I've felt that way myself at times. And every one of them, most people would say something along the lines of, "I'd never have guessed he was feeling so bad."

That's because "society" makes you cover it up, put on a brave face, etc. And I kind of agree with it. In general. But you do have to talk to someone. Talk to someone who loves you, if you have that option. But definitely talk to the professionals.

The Chinese have a saying that says, for true happiness, all one needs is
"Someone to love; something to do; something to look forward to."

If you notice: all of those things are outward. It doesn't say someone has to love you back. It's about being positive towards others. Something to do, is so you don't get all introverted and self-critical and putting yourself down. Take your mind off your demons. And we all need something to look forward to. Tomorrow is a start for me.

And that's the thing about depression. It makes you very self-centred (but not selfish - though to others it may seem that way). And one way to beat it is to not be so caught up in how bad you feel. Be nice to other people. It's a great feel-good pick-me-up.

How did I get on to that one? I was talking about veggies?

Re Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Check this book out (this guy does the foreword in Tony Bates' book from my earlier post):

Overcoming Depression
Paul Gilbert
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...11808&tag=thumpedcom0e-21?tag=thumpedcom0e-21)

That's a good, hard, (especially when your concentration is a bit fecked) read. But well worth it.

TheDonnasTurn21 said:
Anyone ever tried or care to comment on hypnotherapy/kenisiology? Am considering it to break a worsening vicious cycle of random fear > panic > flushing > sweating > muteness > self awareness (obviously) > ever deepening fear > hiding > fear plus...that has been at me for several years now.

i tried out a few hypnotherapists last year for public speaking/self awareness issues (phd=stupid talks in front of lots of scary scientists). most were just useless. they try and push their silly little niche therapy (which generally has nothing to do with hypnotherapy). alpha clinic in sandymount i found great. very genuine people. its definitely not a miracle cure. but i found it helped a lot.

hope thats of some use,
aron

It's a bit funny really. I think when you're really low, all the advice in the world doesn't matter because you don't want to eat well, excercise, give up the booze or talk to people. It's fine when you're out of a depression and have the motivation to do these things. Not so great when you barely have the energy to leave the house, let alone the will power it takes to make these changes.
Not to be too grim, sorry.

aoifed said:
It's a bit funny really. I think when you're really low, all the advice in the world doesn't matter because you don't want to eat well, excercise, give up the booze or talk to people. It's fine when you're out of a depression and have the motivation to do these things. Not so great when you barely have the energy to leave the house, let alone the will power it takes to make these changes.
You're dead right, I tend to go in cycles and when I'm really down I can't be arsed to do anythign to help myself and then when I'm feeling better I'm all "that won't happen again, no doctors/pills/extra exercise/giving up Joy Division records for me."

Hey guys,
I'm glad I started this thread cause I wasnt sure whether to or not, well billy and my family have been a great support and i definitely feel better than last week.
I have booked an appointment with a councillor and seen doc about physical side of things
It has been a great thing to see people's response to this thread.... all i can say is there is definitely help out there if you just look for it.
I got a book by Dr. Claire Weekes called 'Self Help for Nerves' and it is absolutely brilliant, it describes symptoms down to a tee and certainly if you are suffering it makes you feel like you are not the only one in the world suffering.
Thanks guys for the words of support and encouragement, exercise, talking about it and doing something about it has definitely helped and I have to say Billy Gannon is the greatest guy in the world... he had been the best bro and if you have a close family make the most of it, because they are more important then anyone else.
thanks again guys and keep rockin n rollin
.|..|

I had been taking medication for the past while (anti-pschotics) but without being told to i have just stopped taking them. very bold but i hate taking the feckin things. i found that during the day i would be fine but at night the demons pushed aside by the drugs would come out in nightmares and freak the hell out of me.

theres a good kinisiologist/bioresonance healer type woman in Kerry that i went to recently...expensive though.

anyone ever try bioenergy healing? I went to try and cure narcolepsy but it didn't work but it is good for general health if you get a good practitioner.

If i'd had the courageto do meself in I would have a while back cos when u know when u have it bad you don't want to live another moment but now i can't really understand how my thinking had gone so fucked up... shit i can actually but time is a good healer sometimes......this road goes nowhere...

aoifed said:

I don't think this is exactly true. The mere suggestion of a course of action can be enough to change someone's direction. This whole thread has people talking about a subject that is seen as embarassing and shameful which in reality is a commonplace condition that should be dealt with in the open. I think the lack of motivation stems from the fact that most people think others will avoid them or think less of them if they publicly admit to being depressed and therefore find themselves in ever decreasing circles of isolation. Discussions like this empower people by breaking the cycle and show that they aren't alone. Depression is a nasty and serious business and the biggest killer of young men in Ireland. It's vital that threads like this exist.

Goff said:
However, the vitamin B12 thing is important. Nuts have loads of the stuff.
I don't think they do - from vegsoc.org:
" Vitamin B12 is a member of the vitamin B complex. It contains cobalt, and so is also known as cobalamin. It is exclusively synthesised by bacteria and is found primarily in meat, eggs and dairy products. There has been considerable research into proposed plant sources of vitamin B12. Fermented soya products, seaweeds, and algae such as spirulina have all been suggested as containing significant B12. However, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans and so these foods should not be relied upon as safe sources."

The Chinese have a saying that says, for true happiness, all one needs is "Someone to love; something to do; something to look forward to."
I like this - don't think it covers everything, but I like it nevertheless :)

buck said:
theres a good kinisiologist/bioresonance healer type woman in Kerry that i went to recently...expensive though.

nice thread :) sorry to sound stoopid, but whats kinisiology? also, is depression hereditary? often wondered bou tha

eoinbox said:
nice thread :) sorry to sound stoopid, but whats kinisiology?

Apparently it's this:
(http://www.icak.com/about/whatis.shtml)

eoinbox said:
also, is depression hereditary? often wondered bou tha

Possibly. They're not sure but there's a lot of research ongoing at the moment. One of the first questions I was asked when I was getting my bumps felt was, "Does anyone else in your family suffer from depression?" followed by a quick explanation about the above-mentioned research. But it might have more to do with the fact that if you were exposed to it, you might copy it. Like smoking because your parents did.

But the research also delves into such things as grandparents and uncles, etc. People you might not have had that much contact with during your formative years.

Re B12 and nuts. I've been eating pistachio nuts for years thinking they were full of the stuff. Feck. All that time wasted opening the shells.... Apologies for the dodgy info and ta for the feedback.

Just did a search and found the following. Glad I'm not a vegetarian:

" Vegans are recommended to ensure their diet includes foods fortified with vitamin B12. A range of B12 fortified foods are available. These include yeast extracts, Vecon vegetable stock, veggieburger mixes, textured vegetable protein, soya milks, vegetable and sunflower margarines, and breakfast cereals."

Actually feeling a bit ropey today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back