Def Jux presents AESOP ROCK & C RAYZ WALZ at Ri Ra Thurs 19th Feb (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
Wide O presents a DEF JUX RECORDS night - the New York label that you RJd2 El-P Cannibal Ox Mr Lif and more; this show featues live shows by...

AESOP ROCK

"AESOP ROCK introduced a raw, urgent, intelligent new sound designed to break the monotony of mainstream rap." ­Entertainment Weekly

C RAYZ WALZ

"Anyone familiar with New York's underground scene will tell you that when it comes to putting on a show, no MC can wreck a stage like the eccentric C-RAYZ WALZ" The Source, Jan 2004

DJ WIZ

+ special guest THE GUDMEN

Ri Ra, Dame Court, Dublin 2. Ph: 677 4835

Thurs 19th Feb. Doors 11:30pm

Tickets just €12 from ROAD, Urban, Sound Cellar, Comet, Freebird, City Discs, All City or at Ri Ra on the night. Admisision just €10 for students/unwaged

The hottest underground label in the US hiphop scene today, DEF JUX recordings(www.definitivejux.net) brings a package tour to Ri Ra this month featuring Irish debuts for two of the best acts on its roster - the mindblowingly talented rhymesayer AESOP ROCK and everyone's hot tip for 2004 - C-RAYZ WALZ.

Having already introduced acts such as RJD2, Cannibal Ox, El-P and Mr Lif to the world; 2004 sees Def Jux maintain its position as the movement that is breaking new ground in electroina and hiphop - both in terms of lyrics and especially of production sound. Notable accolades from the likes of Elvis Costello ('That's the kind of sonic genius I want to work with' he said of Def Jux boss El-P) right through to the widespread fawning press reviews indicate exactly why acts such as Aesop Rock are reaching a broader and slightly more mature crowd than the vast majority of acts in the hiphop genre.

Def Jux's DJ Wiz mans the decks for both acts while Irish midlands duo THE GUDMEN (rapper Ay Cee and DJ Lee) support. Tickets for this show are just €12, with students and unwaged getting in for just €10.

"The envy of virtual MCs worldwide, Aesop has gone from being the object of chat-room gossip to being the hottest thing on wax since the 808." ­URB

AESOP ROCK - BAZOOKA TOOTH PRESS RELEASE

Label: DEFINITIVE JUX
Release date: 22nd September 2003

"If you wake up to the sound of helicopters bumping Wagner / Its body-cast to Pilates class / Rumble in a Bronx back alley batting cage with bottles smashed / Drag them prophecies, be them Celestine or Mothman/ to the bumper-boat monster mash"- Intro

It¹s Aesop Rock time, again. The eclectic rhyme-sayer who burst onto the radar with his universally acclaimed Definitive Jux debut album Labor Days and then followed it up with the anthemic EP Daylight, returns to reclaim the truth and hand out lyrical beat downs to those who stole the up-rock and buffed the trains.

Over four albums of futurized funk, Aesop Rock has been blowing minds with detail-driven narratives and dexterity defying word play. From the early records Music For Earth Worms, Appleseed and Float to the masterful Labor Days, his singular voice has filtered tales of Lower East Side city life through a highly personal lens. And that voice has reached out and touched an enormous amount of people. Surprisingly, while his last two efforts were legitimate underground hits (moving more units than most indie artists, hip hop or otherwise, do in their entire careers).

"Isn¹t it strange how it¹s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn¹t recycled?" - Frijoles

Now, with his highly anticipated new LP Bazooka Tooth, Aesop Rock brings it back to the golden age of hip-hop originality - but this certainly ain¹t retro. Like the early concept-driven, progressive and personal hip-hop of De La Soul, Ultramagnetic MC¹s, Boogie Down Productions and, today, MF Doom and Ghostface Killah, Aesop Rock has the classic ability to craft records with eternal shelf life, each listen revealing a new dimension. On any Aesop Rock record there are genius one-liners that remain stuck in the brain and become living mantras for his legions of fans. With his new opus, he has once again broken the creative barrier. Having produced nearly the entire album himself, Bazooka Tooth is an amazing expression of one man¹s artistic vision and raises the bar for everyone else in the rap game.

"They¹re like OEWhat¹s up with the name¹ / I tell OEem OEY¹all made Bazooka Tooth, I was about to ask the same¹ / But before you curfew the city and shut down every block / I¹d like to say OEI¹m still Aesop the Fuck out of the Rock¹ likeŠ" -- Freeze

"Freeze", the first shot from Bazooka Tooth, is vintage Ace Rock - blazing production and lyrics with unequaled descriptive and personal flair - and will immediately silence any doubters. Then there¹s the rest of the album, which also features cameos by El-P, Mr. Lif, Cannibal Ox and Camp Lo. It¹s easy to see and hear why this MC/producer has achieved icon status in the world of indie hip-hop and fortunately, he¹s stayed clear of the politics that success often brings and now he¹s ready to break it wide open.

With one of the most rabid and devoted fan bases in indie hip hop, Aesop returns the love with 70 minutes of lyrically explosive brain funk. Having set fire to the underground with his albums, classic guest appearances, unforgettable freestyles and live shows worldwide, Aesop Rock is ready to take his place as the newest and brightest star in the Definitive Jux constellation.

With a monster record, videos for "Freeze" and "No Jumper Cables" (an homage to the legendary graffiti film Style Wars featuring original footage from the movie) and a major tour in the offing ­ its clear that its Aesop¹s time to shine.

Aesop Rock will be touring worldwide this Autumn and winter.

"I¹m a thread the needle / Just for my peopleŠ/ Breaker 1-9 / 9-11-01 witness / Make noise If You get thisŠ " ­ N.Y. Electric

"Aesop Rock introduced a raw, urgent, intelligent new sound designed to break the monotony of mainstream rap." ­ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

"The envy of virtual MCs worldwide, Aesop has gone from being the object of chat-room gossip to being the hottest thing on wax since the 808." ­URB

"Aesop Rock, a Manhattan underground giant who¹s got the entire urban backpacker community in awe of his bionic vocabularyŠ this Lower East Side mogul continues to amaze with a blizzard of deep, intricate lyricism that takes the art of hip-hop prose to the levels of Tolstoy." ­ PAPER MAGAZINE

"If the hip hop world had to write a graduate-level thesis paper it would probably be handled by New York lyricist Aesop Rock. A power-packed orator with a vocabulary level above the 99the percentile, his compositions are laid so thick and introspective that they can take days to properly digest." -VICE

"Aesop¹s voice is a rich, flat bass cut with a thin growl; through its resonance, he¹s able to explore the variations within a timbre that gives access to a vast emotional range."- SPIN

"Labor Days" was voted #3 Hip Hop album of the year by THE WIRE in 2001.

Jockey Slut called the album "Hugely Impressive",

"An esoteric and gripping ride." UNCUT

"Rich sonorous and never less than fabulously fluent" HHC,

"This is conclusive proof that Aesop does, indeed, rock." Blues & Soul.

C-Rayz Walz

Every once in a while an MC emerges whom profoundly alters the landscape of hip hop. Big Daddy Kane. Rakim. Chuck D. Ice Cube. Jeru. Biggie Smalls. ODB. Eminem. It’s time to make room for another name on that list. Straight out of that boogie-down borough where it all started, C-Rayz Walz comes heavily armed with his self-created style - The Art of Energy. Spellbinding, cinematic, jaw-dropping, mind-blowing, completely original. The words will be put in your mouth. All it takes is one listen to start understanding why the game is about to completely change. Having achieved a mythic rep in the underground as a soloist as well as a member of the mighty crew known collectively as STRONGHOLD, this urban legend has been applying a vice grip on the independent scene for quite some time now. C-Rayz is totally for and from the streets, managing to soar above and beyond that realm while staying connected to hardcore and mainstream listeners. C-Rayz proves that he is “Hip-Hop manifesting himself through Rap” on every track he blesses. The past, present and future are all represented to the fullest dimension on his projects and no one can walk away from the listening experience without feeling they just heard something incredible. After seeing his performances, hearing his solo projects and listening to him shine on various collaborations, hardcore fans have become Conspiracy Theorists, demanding to know why this artist is not in every record store and touring all over the world, being seen and heard by the people he represents so effectively. But, thankfully, that’s all about to change. Having already served up countless MC's on vinyl platters, C-Rayz has decided to take it to the next level by combining forces with Definitive Jux. You can almost hear history being made already. With a destined-to-be-a-classic album, Ravipops, on its way, and his debut 12-inch “The Essence,” the first shot across the bow, C-Rayz Walz is here to stay and his universal sound will stand the test of time. Get ready and definitely, definitely don’t sleep. The Sun-cycle MC rises. ‘Nuf said.

depends on whether you gave or took. if you've only took, you're still a 'technical' virgin. anyone see that documentay on texas virgins a couple of weeks ago? anal is all the rage, it leaves you still techincally a virgin. people in texas have bum sex way before they have vaginal sex... and there was this guy going around using a toothbrush as a metaphore for your potential partner... if the toothbrush has been used by someone, would you want to use it afterwards? i don't think so!!!

M.BISON said:
i've done it with guys, does that count?

andrew

Boys respect girls who respect themselves, not someone who's been passed around like a bag of chips.

True love waits for the ring

(both nuggets of information from Alive, the best publication in this country)

There's been a few enquiries about this - and a fair bit o grief i think for the peeps who are selling tickets.

the €10 student/unwaged admission for this Thursdays show is available only at the door - tickets bought in advance all cost €12.

BTW: read C-Rayz Walz interview in the new event guide for some entertainment. Touched is not the word

Here's that C-Rayz Walz interview from the current Event Guide - this is well worth a read...

Music Interview - C-Rayz Walz

Taking The Rap

What do you get when you combine the toughness of 50Cent, the wit of Eminem, the flow of Jay-Z, and then showcase it all on hip-hop’s most innovative label, Def Juz? His name is C-Rayz Walz and he rapped his way through an interview with Úna Mullally, proving his skills as one of the finest emcees around.

Hi this is Úna from The Event Guide, I’m calling from Dublin…

Yo I’m doubling too.

Um, are you ready to do the interview now?

I’m so up/I’m so ready/Foot’s on my chest/makes my breath so heavy.

How are the shows going?

I stay doin’ shows/I’m the type of cat that go and fill/If I’m on the grill with skill/Who you know that the show better?/My flow vendetta is health/I’ve got a show with atmosphere on February the 12th/I wish you was here coz I would definitely invite you/you’d come to the front row/and I’d light you.

So that’s good then?

Sound good/I got a good ten/From the hood then/But I got skills/that makes the wood bend.

Have you done any of the overseas dates yet?

I only went to Europe for just like a little bit/And I smashed it/I think it was with Fat Milk-fluid/My man Bo reppin’ that/I came through with the weapon locked under the hat/You know the flame that’s insane in the core of my brain?

How do the audiences compare to those in the States?

Well the States is a typical situation – it’s real rude/We don’t appreciate music here like we don’t appreciate food/That we waste and abuse doin’ things we use/But when I go over places/ it’s like, so cool/Coz they show respect like no neglect.

How did you get involved with Def Jux?

With Def Jux I’m keeping my rap style healthy/Brother to that cat, El-P/I was on Cannibal Ox record, it was first for years/And El started in the same studio, the same place we were at/That’s where El started doin’ his tracks/When he had music without words, and I was spittin’ that fire/And I had most cats callin’ me solid/Said, I want you to spearhead the movement/I said, no doubt, why not?/Sign the dots/So here I am, spittin’ is slim/Doin’ the interview on the phone with my female friend from Dublin.

You were meant to sign with Sony and Def Jam. What happened?

Oh yeah man, but they blew up the towers/The World Trade Centre has been and gone/And the label wasn’t interested in even the dopest song/They say, ‘we can’t hire you because it’s scary/We’re goin’ through a fight with Mariah Carey’/I’m like, ‘What up Tommy Mottola?’/So Def Jam died, and Sony was denied/So I had to go back to the street life/And I was so caught up like Mariah on that deal/My hustling did me wrong – I did 6 months fo’ real/And still, I ain't drop nothin’/But then every other month, I dropped a single/I said I need Def Jux.

How do you feel about your album, 'Ravipops', now that it has been out a while?

I think Ravipops is the ultimate testament/The one where I was most able to experiment/It’s who I am from a hip-hop point of view/It’s crazy, in fact/I’m right here doing an interview and I’m on track.

(At this point, C-Rayz disappears to the sounds of what seems like a large-sish party in the background. Bear in mind that it’s 11am New York time. He returns and apologises, gives his reasons, and his rapping skills deteriorate slightly for the rest of the interview).

What would you be doing if you weren’t an MC?

To be real/I’d be right downtown with a gat.

Who do you look up to as emcees?

The real artists/all the cats like Bismark-E.

What can the Irish fans expect from the show?

The Irish fans expect and respect the show and I’m feelin’ that. We’ll kill it. It’ll be like the whole IRA army is there. I’m about to go thirty songs. I’ll be called marathon man. Reason. Hitting them with the rhyme right.

C-Rayz Walz plays Rí Rá, on Dublin's Dame Court, off Dame Street, on Thursday 19th February. Doors open at 11.30pm, admission €12, concessions €10.
www.definitivejux.net

hag said:
depends on whether you gave or took. if you've only took, you're still a 'technical' virgin. anyone see that documentay on texas virgins a couple of weeks ago? anal is all the rage, it leaves you still techincally a virgin. people in texas have bum sex way before they have vaginal sex...
apparently some of the hardcore fundamentalist christian gals will take it that way as it, as you said, leaves their virginity intact till their wedding night. but i'm confused - don't these religious nuts also think that gay males are evil cause they engage in the same activity? god bless america;)

Deaglan said:
There's been a few enquiries about this - and a fair bit o grief i think for the peeps who are selling tickets.

the €10 student/unwaged admission for this Thursdays show is available only at the door - tickets bought in advance all cost €12.

BTW: read C-Rayz Walz interview in the new event guide for some entertainment. Touched is not the word

What'd I Miss?
Anybody attend?

it was great - all i ever wanted was to pick apart the day and put the pieces back together my waaay! my mind is very sore right now. c-rayz was pretty cool - hadn't heard him at all apart from on the cold vein. it was better than el-p / lif but not as good as can ox (to give it a little djx context)

andrew

M.BISON said:
it was great - all i ever wanted was to pick apart the day and put the pieces back together my waaay! my mind is very sore right now. c-rayz was pretty cool - hadn't heard him at all apart from on the cold vein. it was better than el-p / lif but not as good as can ox (to give it a little djx context)

andrew

Sack. I knew I shoulda made arrangements.
Was under the impression that C-Rayz was of the faecal persuasion, though I have no concrete evidence for that impression.
Dude, are you at work? You posted 6 hours ago and yr now at work?!
Insomnia c'est une disease bro.

i am at work...i guess i got home six hours ago. i fell into my wardrobe, that was kind of funny. c-rayz was good last night but yeah he'll probably go the way of super smash bros and murs and be wicked lame on record. time to scab cigarettes off my boss.

andrew

M.BISON said:
i am at work...i guess i got home six hours ago. i fell into my wardrobe, that was kind of funny. c-rayz was good last night but yeah he'll probably go the way of super smash bros and murs and be wicked lame on record. time to scab cigarettes off my boss.

andrew

only just arrived into work now.
had to talk to people on the phone and sound like i'm doing a bobcat goldthwait impression

M.BISON said:
i haven't even thought about doing any work
one word, mcfly: "why?"

andrew

this is whats happening in my head right now
unicorn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back