Decent Restaurants (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
I am taking someone out for their birthday next week and am at a loss of where to go. I generally like Brassiere 66 for this type of thing but want to go somewhere new.

Problem being, I eat mostly vegetables and hate seafood and the person I am taking loves seafood/meat and hates vegetables. Anyone got ideas where there might be a decent mix on the menu. It can be anywhere in the Dublin area.

Any recommendations?

I am taking someone out for their birthday next week and am at a loss of where to go. I generally like Brassiere 66 for this type of thing but want to go somewhere new.

Problem being, I eat mostly vegetables and hate seafood and the person I am taking loves seafood/meat and hates vegetables. Anyone got ideas where there might be a decent mix on the menu. It can be anywhere in the Dublin area.

Any recommendations?

What price range? Are you looking for something romantic or fun or what?

Price range probably not higher than 60 per person unless it is REALLY good. Just somewhere nice. I was thinking here maybe? I have just been clicking on random menus.

http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Malahide/Cruzzo_Bar_~_Restaurant.aspx

I can't get into that site in work. HHave you ever treied the Winding Stair by the ha'penny bridge. Menu is quite short but varied and quality of the food is excellent. Not too expensive and great service. You'd want to book in advance though.

I can't get into that site in work. HHave you ever treied the Winding Stair by the ha'penny bridge. Menu is quite short but varied and quality of the food is excellent. Not too expensive and great service. You'd want to book in advance though.

I have been there and had the worst experience but it was totally my fault. Not much on the menu for me, so I ordered some pork dish. I can’t remember what it was called but is sounded bacon-ish, which I occasionally eat because it smells so damn good. At any rate, it was more like ham and had some white sauce. Due to the lighting, my first bite was unknowingly all fat. I nearly threw up as I tried to chew/swallow it so my dinner companion didn’t know. It felt like I ate an eyeball. I haven’t been able to go back. Do they change their menu often?

I have been there and had the worst experience but it was totally my fault. Not much on the menu for me, so I ordered some pork dish. I can’t remember what it was called but is sounded bacon-ish, which I occasionally eat because it smells so damn good. At any rate, it was more like ham and had some white sauce. Due to the lighting, my first bite was unknowingly all fat. I nearly threw up as I tried to chew/swallow it so my dinner companion didn’t know. It felt like I ate an eyeball. I haven’t been able to go back. Do they change their menu often?
They change their menu quite a bit but maybe you shouldn't chance it. The Mermaid Café is mentioned in another thread on this forum has quite an interesting menu but is a bit on the pricey side. There the Yamamori if you fancy something cheap and cheerful. It mightn't be to everybody's taste but they do have some meat/fish heavy dishes as well as some veggie options.

Also Gruel is cheap, the service is dodgy but the food is always top notch.

They change their menu quite a bit but maybe you shouldn't chance it. The Mermaid Café is mentioned in another thread on this forum has quite an interesting menu but is a bit on the pricey side. There the Yamamori if you fancy something cheap and cheerful. It mightn't be to everybody's taste but they do have some meat/fish heavy dishes as well as some veggie options.

Also Gruel is cheap, the service is dodgy but the food is always top notch.

Thanks. Gruel looks okay but not for this occasion. I will check it out sometime. I just checked the Mermaid -- too much fish. I'll keep looking.

Oooh, I've never been to One Pico. That looks good.

But anyway, Hayworth, I know people have mixed feelings about it, but I really like Eden. Not sure how great it is if you actually want a vegetarian dish, but they serve nice sides and interesting salads/veg with their mains. I almost always get fish and have never been disappointed there.

Also in Temple Bar Square is Il Baccaro, which has amazing swordfish steaks, though the veggie side order selection isn't huge. Mr Jane always gets Tuscan sausages and beans, which he says are like the lips and ears of heaven. It's not fancy, but it's really cosy.

But anyway, Hayworth, I know people have mixed feelings about it, but I really like Eden. Not sure how great it is if you actually want a vegetarian dish, but they serve nice sides and interesting salads/veg with their mains. I almost always get fish and have never been disappointed there.

Also in Temple Bar Square is Il Baccaro, which has amazing swordfish steaks, though the veggie side order selection isn't huge. Mr Jane always gets Tuscan sausages and beans, which he says are like the lips and ears of heaven. It's not fancy, but it's really cosy.

I have come to realize I'm the worst person to go out to dinner with because I will not eat the following:

Lamb
Steak
Chicken on a bone (if it’s a breast it’s okay)
Duck
Sausages
Any fish or shell fish
Avocado
Goat’s cheese /Feta
Brie
Blue Cheese
Mushrooms
Artichoke

Went there for the pre-theatre menu a few months ago, which was great value (€45 for three courses). We got there just before 7, but they allowed us to stay as late as we liked which was good (made us feel like we weren't there on the cheap). There was a decent choice on the menu, the food was delicious and the service was exceptional. I'd definitly recommend it.

Went there for the pre-theatre menu a few months ago, which was great value (€45 for three courses). We got there just before 7, but they allowed us to stay as late as we liked which was good (made us feel like we weren't there on the cheap). There was a decent choice on the menu, the food was delicious and the service was exceptional. I'd definitly recommend it.

Awesome! It goes straight onto my list -- thanks! I like the sound of the service, and that they didn't do the thing that is one of my biggest pet peeves, which is, "We need the table back in an hour." What night of the week did you go? Did you need a reservation?

Any recommendations?

go to the hop-house in parnell st; deadly grub (korean/japanese), friendly staff and its attached to a pub, so the beer is good. my missus is a vegatarian and my self an omnivore, and we always get well fed there! cheap too, loads of grub and drinks for round 30notes a head.

Was back in Dublin for the weekend and went to Saba (Thai/ Vietnamese) on Clarendon St - really nice, and catered for both me (dairy-free veggie) and my brother (strict carnivore).

I believe it's pricey though.
Not the cheapest, but not stoopid expensive. I don't mind paying a bit more if the ingredients and execution of the food are really good and you're not just paying for the ponciness of the restaurant. Not that I cared this time cause I wasn't paying :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back