David Bowie - Low (1977) (1 Viewer)

Which is my whole point - you can only comfortably fit, what, 20 minutes on a side of wax? Hence Bowie and band rush through 30+ minutes of material in 20. Every song I was like 'ahhh I was just getting into that, sake'.
These were all mainly improvised pieces that Bowie and Eno edited into song form later, so that's why they use so many fades etc. The whole idea was to move away from structured song writing into more free form styles. The band had no idea what the music they were playing on would turn out like, or if it would even be used. Everything was written in the studio with no demos or draft versions to work from.

Not a member of the album club, but I thought ye might find this amusing:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It' definitely an album of two sides. I sometimes wonder how it would have been if they had decided to release all the uptempo song-oriented stuff from Low and Heroes as one record and all the downbeat instrumentals as another.

Anyway, work finished. Home alone this evening. Beers purchased. Dinner organised. Cranking this fucker to the max now.

The Eventide H910 Harmonizer is it? Well,

The Eventide H910 Harmonizer was used extensively on the drums on "Low". It created a pitching cascade effect, which is fairly subtle it has to be said
Are the drums also a bit severely gated? I thought this the other day when I was listening. Its like you miss the initial attack and then miss the tail and just get this blast of white noise.

Are the drums also a bit severely gated? I thought this the other day when I was listening. Its like you miss the initial attack and then miss the tail and just get this blast of white noise.
em, dunno! i was only told about the harmonizer yolk yesterday. good factz though waznt it?

It seems to be new, has a 2016 copyright on it.
It was on a bbc4 series called music moguls (awful title) but I missed it. I enjoyed that bit though. I wonder if that bit about Visconti kissing your wan by the wall is true? Don't suppose he'd lie though. Good story inanyways.

It was on a bbc4 series called music moguls (awful title) but I missed it. I enjoyed that bit though. I wonder if that bit about Visconti kissing your wan by the wall is true? Don't suppose he'd lie though. Good story inanyways.
I think Bowie mentioned it in an interview around the time of Reality, he never said it before because he didn't want Visconti to get in trouble with his wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back