David Bowie - Low (1977) (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would love an explanation from those of you well versed in recording and production as to what exactly is going here. If anything...
Brian Eno.

Just getting a listen to this now through my computer speakers. I kinda like the blown-out drum sound so far.

The title seems to be a misnomer, it's quite vibrant and driving on these first few tracks.

The Eventide H910 Harmonizer is it? Well,

The Eventide H910 Harmonizer was used extensively on the drums on "Low". It created a pitching cascade effect, which is fairly subtle it has to be said, but Visconti continued to liberally use this effect on a lot of late seventies and early '80s recordings.

One was used on old re runs of I Love Lucy on New York City's Channel 5. They sped up the programme to fit in more ads and used the H910 to downward pitch shift the soundtrack.

Have some of that.

Classic Thumped muso pricks album choice. Decent album mind.
I got a nice clean copy of this on vinyl in the 90s for 50p in that mangey charity shop on Manor St, probably long gone.

Great choice and a great album too.

On a related note there' s a good album called Subterranean (new designs on Bowie's Berlin) by Dylan Howe, which works as a nice companion piece to Low et al.
It also ties in neatly with Blackstar in that it's also relocating Bowie's music in a jazz setting. A really nice album to check out.

Right, so, my impression after my first listen - it feels like two different records. The second half is more spacious, the songs are mostly instrumental and have more room to breathe, compared to Side A which has loads of bangers that fade out far too quickly. Side B also has a much darker mood more appropriate for the title. I'm feeling like it would have been better to have a double LP, or two separate albums entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back