dan brown, dan brown, so bad i read it twice (1 Viewer)

Think that's from The Dying Earth. The Dying Earth is great, but the two Cugel novellas in it really blow the shit out of everything else in the book. Cugel is fuckin amazing, total scum that you constantly end up rooting for.
I’ll keep an eye out for the full collection, this was in an anthology of fantasy fiction that inspired the creation of DnD.

Jaws is also a terrible book and great film. Serpico too. There's probably a thread about that somewhere.

Thinking about The Catcher in the Rye. It probably seemed so daring at the time to people who identified with Holden Caulfield; similarly well-off, highly educated, cosseted preppy types who wrote opinion pieces and reviews in publications like The New Yorker. "Gee this guy also hates his Dad for making him go skiing every year in Aspen and get a degree from an IV league college. I should call my dad right now and give him a piece of my mind, but I'm already late for my rehearsal with the Whiffenpoofs.."

Incidentally a friend of a friend actually changed his name to Holden Caulfield.
The spa.

Thinking about The Catcher in the Rye. It probably seemed so daring at the time to people who identified with Holden Caulfield; similarly well-off, highly educated, cosseted preppy types who wrote opinion pieces and reviews in publications like The New Yorker. "Gee this guy also hates his Dad for making him go skiing every year in Aspen and get a degree from an IV league college. I should call my dad right now and give him a piece of my mind, but I'm already late for my rehearsal with the Whiffenpoofs.."

I was about 25 when I read it, probably too old. I spent the whole thing thinking that the kid was a prick.

Incidentally a friend of a friend actually changed his name to Holden Caulfield.
The spa.

What a wally.

The spa.
Also it came out in 1946. Like, before rock and roll even happened. Whatever you might think of this spoiled rich kid, it reads like something from 20 years later.

Oh here's a fairly bad book I've just nearly finished (purely because it's on audiobook, would have given up if I'd had to actually read it) - Hyperion by Dan Simmons. 1989 sci-fi yoke, won the Hugo award in 1990. The story and the world-building are good, but he's pretentious as fuck and a pretty damn poor writer

My addiction to social media has rendered me almost incapable of focusing on reading a real book. I started one this time last last year, I can tell because It's still got the local xmas raffle flyer as a bookmark. lt's not wholly terrible but the protagonist reminds me too much of a character Kiera Knightley would play so I will probably never finish it.

#newyearresolution2021 get off the internet and read more stuff

Oh here's a fairly bad book I've just nearly finished (purely because it's on audiobook, would have given up if I'd had to actually read it) - Hyperion by Dan Simmons. 1989 sci-fi yoke, won the Hugo award in 1990. The story and the world-building are good, but he's pretentious as fuck and a pretty damn poor writer
I have that in my To Read pile.

Na, the Hyperion series is fuckin classssss. The first one is probably the weakest of them though due to the 'Canterbury Tales' framing alright.

Edit: Can definitely see reasons to not like the first one sure, as the structure is stinted and that, but the rest of the series benefits from I would say a more definite 'plan' for the plot I guess.

I haven't read The Catcher in the Rye since I was 13 or something, but I thought the point of it was: I failed.

Like, isn't he telling the whole thing from a mental hospital? I thought the idea was he was saying he'd been given every leg up in life imaginable, loaded family, bright, access to everything he wanted. And he still fucked everything up, now he's in a mental institution, that's how much of a fuck up he is. Despite being given everything, he's not even able to pass in society, he has to be medicated and hospitalized. And even then he still can't deal, so he offs himself.

Doesn't he kill himself at the end? Or was that my imagination.

I thought the point was him failing at life, not hating everyone else (although he did also hate everyone else, but he hated himself more than even that).

Who cares if he failed, he's a dickhead anyway

but if he's relating the story, wasn't he purposefully portraying himself as a dickhead? The whole thing was a long form suicide note from his point of view, justifying him killing himself.

He needed to hate himself to do that, so his account might not be trustworthy. He might have been sound. People might have known him in the Gealtacht.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back