D&D for all the family (1 Viewer)

You should try and get Heroquest if you can find a copy for sale online somehow. It was totally class, fairly understandable rules, adventures planned out for you, great intro for younger people.
Problem is that it was like impossible to find, but oooooh just looked online and turns out it's being relaunched sometime this year by the looks of it. Kind of expensive though, but I'm tempted.

I would have thought you could buy dice easy enough at any arts craft kind of store, would imagine that place upstairs in the Jervis centre would have them, but hey guess you're stuck to online right now anyway

Dice are cheap, Gamers World are the place to go and they stock loads of D&D stuff (as you’d imagine from the name).

Have you played it before? It’s not like a traditional board game (not having a board for one thing) and there needs to be someone to run the game (Dungeon Master or DM for short). They’re basically part player, part director, and are there to facilitate the players to explore the adventure. There’s no winning or losing, the whole point of the game is essentially storytelling. It can be a lot to put together if none of you have ever played it. It’s great fun once you get into it (I have been playing every Monday night with mates for a year now).

VFon.gif

I picked up a D&D set and a few others over the years (I’m a sucker for a Kickstarter) but never played them. There’s just the two of us and I thought about joining a new campaign in the local nerd board game shop, but there isn’t really anything for newbies.

Have you played it before? It’s not like a traditional board game (not having a board for one thing) and there needs to be someone to run the game (Dungeon Master or DM for short). They’re basically part player, part director, and are there to facilitate the players to explore the adventure. There’s no winning or losing, the whole point of the game is essentially storytelling. It can be a lot to put together if none of you have ever played it. It’s great fun once you get into it (I have been playing every Monday night with mates for a year now).
No, never played it before, and yeah I get the idea, inasmuch as its possible to without actually having played it. Mrs. egg_ has volunteered to be DM but man there's a lot of reading/figuring out.

From what I've read the more recent versions of D&D are a bit simpler and less headwrecking than it used to be in terms of rules, charts etc.. (played it a fair bit as a teenager but not for 20 years at this stage). For beginners, the Hero Quest recommendation above is a good one if that's back in print.

Unless they're really into the whole Tolkien elves 'n' goblins thing maybe something like Tales From The Loop could be a good starting point, supposedly a bit like 'Stranger Things the RPG' (I haven't played it myself but read high praise for it somewhere, also it comes with the dice and everything): Tales From the Loop RPG Starter Set – Gamers World limited

Of course, but how do you get the initial intro to that kind of game, ya know
Not through Hero Quest and it's ludicrous kill the CHAOS WARLOCK storyline. If anything that'd put me off going any further in D&D!

I'm not going to be that nerd and say that Hero Quest is an entirely different game to D&D and really only the fantasy tropes and dice rolling link them but... Hero Quest is an entirely different game to D&D and really only the fantasy tropes and dice rolling link them. Hero Quest is great fun but what you get from a game of Hero Quest is very different from a game of D&D. Hero Quest really diminishes the role of the player as it's about pushing bits of plastic around to follow a very rigid set of rules and story. D&D is about an open world where you can solve problems in creative ways, railing entirely against the recommended way of playing (usually to the DM's panic as they try to improvise around the players). I say this as a big fan of pushing bits of plastic around a table.

SO! C'mere, what basic dice do you need? And can you set a game in space (cos that's what the kids want)?
D&D is very much Tolkien meets Conan the Barbarian but there are loads of different games with a similar style of play but different settings. How old are they? I can ask my friend what he’s recommend (he’s a much bigger nerd than me). There’s RPG versions of sci fi movies like Star Wars and Aliens that could be of interest (never played them).

As for dice, you need one set of different sided dice foe each player. Generally for D&D you need a six-sided dice (D6), a four-sided (D4), an eight-sided (D8), D10, and a D20. You can get packs of dice on Amazon or eBay. Some of them are mad money as apparently “premium” dice are a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back