• Watchers 4

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Got this in work today ...
Mail received from the BANK OF IRELAND KILKENNY

Just been warned about this, and could potentially be financially fatal so close to Christmas. Please pass on to all people on your mailing list. I got this from a contact in the Halifax Visa team so it is happening!!

Visa and MasterCard Scam. A friend was called on the telephone this week from 'VISA' and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

It worked like this: Person calling says, 'this is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase
pattern, and I'm calling to verify. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Company a device/any expensive item, for £497.99 from a marketing company based in (any town?)

When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your Account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 To £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (they give you your address), is that correct?'

You say, 'Yes'. The caller continues. 'I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control number. They then give you a 6-digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?

Caller then says he 'needs to verify you are in possession of your card' (this is where the scam takes place as up until now they have requested nothing!). They then ask you to turn your card over. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are 1234 (or whatever, as they have your number anyway).

The next 3 are the security numbers that verify that you are in possession of the card' (these are the numbers they are really after as these are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card).

'Read me the 3 numbers.' When you do he says 'That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do.'

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we telephoned back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on our card. Long story made short.

We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are reissuing us a new number. What the scam wants is the 3-digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep changing every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.

THE REAL VISA/MASTERCARD DEPARTMENT REINFORCED THE POINT THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARD SINCE THEY ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!.

What makes this even more remarkable is that on Thursday a friend of mine got a call from 'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a word for word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up. We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said they are taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and co-workers so please pass this on to your friends................

This is a message received from a customer.

Strangely, I just got a phonecall from "Virgin Mobiles" telling me I have won a Virgin Camera Phone. They asked me all sorts of questions - address, D.O.B. etc but when they asked me for my Bank account details, I fairly lost interest. I told him I dont have a bank account - which I dont - and he said "uh...I need a bank account number". thats pretty much when we parted ways.

I think I could have genuinely won a phone, although I already have one.
regardless, I was fairly 'nay ta' to the guy. Im either a moron or a shrewd motha.

If you win a prize without ever having entered a competition your prize is usually some form of financial raping.
avernus said:
Strangely, I just got a phonecall from "Virgin Mobiles" telling me I have won a Virgin Camera Phone. They asked me all sorts of questions - address, D.O.B. etc but when they asked me for my Bank account details, I fairly lost interest. I told him I dont have a bank account - which I dont - and he said "uh...I need a bank account number". thats pretty much when we parted ways.

I think I could have genuinely won a phone, although I already have one.
regardless, I was fairly 'nay ta' to the guy. Im either a moron or a shrewd motha.

----------------------------------------------------

Security Center

Military Grade Encryption is Only the Start

At PayPal, we want to increase your security and comfort level with every transaction. From our Buyer and Seller Protection Policies to our Verification and Reputation systems, we'll help to keep you safe.

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you are the rightful holder of the account, click on the link below to log into your account and follow the instructions.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

We ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated and we strongly recommend to verify your account in that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as another PayPal user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.
I just got this in my inbox. It's a scam. It has graphics and all and looks VERY convincing. The spelling mistakes give it away.

boigaz said:
I just got this in my inbox. It's a scam. It has graphics and all and looks VERY convincing. The spelling mistakes give it away.
you would think though that they'd spellcheck these things before they send them out, wouldn't you? I've had about 10 this week from loads of different banks, asking me to confirm my details. Oh certainly, no problem! And here's the keys to my flat while I'm at it - I keep the money in the cupboard to the left of the sink.

Zita said:
If you win a prize without ever having entered a competition your prize is usually some form of financial raping.

ya, which is why I panned the whole affair. He asked me was I interested in my free phone - I said "hmm, dont you think It's a little odd that I'm winning a Virgin Phone when I have an Orange Phone and entered no competition?" - to which he curtly replied "uh you have been selected". He talked a bit like Ben from short circuit.
sc1.jpg

lmd64 said:
what's the URL of the link they refer to?
It's a button that has the following source:
<form action="http://www.johnstephensonintl.com/images/" name="form1" target="_blank">
<input name="Login" type="submit" id="Login" value="Login">
</form>

My Outlook security settings don't allow for "sending of html forms", so nothing happened.

If you just open the link in a browser, it re-directs to Paypal.

We got hit with a few nice phishing scams in work yesterday. One in particular was very sweet - it said it was from our bank and said all this stuff about compromised passwords and blahblahblah and CLICK HERE TO UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD - it was a .gif, which opened our bank's (real) webpage, but with a popup from the nastymen, which asked us to put in our password and stuff.

It was all fairly impressive.

my laser card got cloned last xmas, they cracked the pin and got 600 euros out of my bank account. got all the money back cause it was fraud and also the bank made a mess of canceling the card.

I got this one the other day. Freaked the feck outta me when I read it . Still not convinced im outta the woods yet.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order. Your credit card has charged for amount $560.00.
Charges for the transaction will appear on your credit card statement under the name INTEGRAL LLC.

To view transaction status and order details, point your browser to the following URL:
http://www.mybill.com/order=SD26347

Those Virgin Mobile guys just rang me back. fuck sake. I told them I dont want the phone. The guy said "but Im giving you the phone, all I need is your details".
So I said "Hey, I have a camera phone..so forget it!". Then I hung up.

motherless fucks. next call I get and its Pole-eece time.

avernus said:
Those Virgin Mobile guys just rang me back. fuck sake. I told them I dont want the phone. The guy said "but Im giving you the phone, all I need is your details".
So I said "Hey, I have a camera phone..so forget it!". Then I hung up.

motherless fucks. next call I get and its Pole-eece time.
why not play it cool - say your busy and ask them for their number, extension and a name so you can call them back in 10 min. Then you'll find out if it's real or not

Bluto said:
why not play it cool - say your busy and ask them for their number, extension and a name so you can call them back in 10 min. Then you'll find out if it's real or not

see, Ive been cool about it..so much so that its fairly obvious that Im neither going to give them my details or am interested in some crummy phone. besides, I dont have a bank account number to give them..not in the UK anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back