Covid-19 supermarket/panic buy updates (2 Viewers)

They have started wrapping all bread in plastic - including the good expensive crusty bread that is usually wrapped in paper, except the plastic makes it NOT CRUSTY
Bastards

On the plus side, free plastic bags are bag and I've been hooring into them
The ol' plastic bags are very handy, I'm stocking up like hell

Big long queue outside Tesco on saturday morning. Woman in her 50s just parked herself in the generous distance I'd left in front of me. I just said "I don't think so". She immediately started with the million-words-a minute in a 'don't-get-aggressive' tone and presumably moved down the queue to jump in somewhere else. There no way she was joining the end, I was in the first 10th of the queue.

no sign of soya beans - only one (shut) shop stocks them locally.
i''ll have to eat lentils or something now as hard it's to get any sort of healthy beans.
relatively little of the veg i like was in the shop hopefully only 'cause it is
Sunday and 'stay at home' announcement Friday (still got enough for a few days)

if Spanish veg supply is interrupted then i'll be mostly down to oatmeal.

EDIT: having read Anthony's post above -
Lidl in market town of 8,000 was very quiet, no queue to get
in and only two checkouts open which was plenty.
only two of us on main street of town when i got there,
town almost deserted

strangest thing someone mentioned shops being short of was
CANNED SPINACH - never knew such a thing existed.
i eat fresh spinach everyday (some cooked to get calcium)
but canned spinach sounds.. er... not very nice.

Last edited:
Tinned spinach is not bad, it's very densely packed, like the way fresh spinach reduces in size to about a 100th of its original size when you cook it. I'd say there are about 500 of the regular size fresh bags in a tin. Also, the taste is much stronger, as in, it actually has a taste which is either nice or not. I don't mind it.

• tin of chickpeas (and/or lentils, other beans and veg etc) + tin of spinach + tin of chopped tomatoes
  • cook in pot for a while
  • pasta
You can get a few days out of it. Very pandemic and famine friendly.

I'm kind of hungry at the moment but the queuing out the shops is putting me off going.
I have enough for a dinner in the kitchen anyway.

We generally have a good stockpile of different types of beans, rice and pasta so been doing paella, bean chilli, pasta bakes and so on. Been really enjoying cooking, even if some of my preferred options are now off the menu (chickpeas, I miss you!).

Anyone been in Tesco Clearwater? Are people keeping up social distancing? Does that even happen in shops?

I was in SuperValu early this morning, only about half a dozen in it. I kept my distance and went around other aisles if someone was blocking the way. Couple of people walked past me.

The missus had to get the manager in our New local German discount store earlier as we were leaving.
People all over each other, not getting the message. Their till-Queuing system made no sense at all, Clearly no people counting going on and because the shop is upstairs you don’t realise how full it actually is until you’re upstairs there.
He was nice and said ‘but I told the security guard at the start of the week already’ or something to that effect.
He just assumed new protocol and rules and behaviour were being enforced And adhered to. hopefully they don’t need to be told again

Update from Tesco Finglas after an emergency run for a blackout blind thing.

Hardly anyone there at 9.30. shelves looked good. Lots of tesco anti-bac spray for 45c. Social distancing easily possible, but more likely due to the lack of people than everyone doing it on purpose.

They had marks on the ground for standing behind, which was useful for the queuing. Not so much since you were still right beside the people already using the self service checkouts.

District lack of the youthz hanging around outside as they normally would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back