Country music (1 Viewer)

@snakybus knows more about teh Yanks than me, but I'm pretty sure that southern US culshies use that flag to mean "yeah man I'm a rebel fuck all y'all coming down from Dublin telling us what to do".

michael-and-danny-healy-rae-miss-80pc-of-vote-sessions-in-the-d-il-1188002382296342547.webp

Perhaps but as far as I know it's an official hate symbol, as a representation of the states that seceded from the United States during the Civil War in an effort to preserve slavery, plus it has been adopted by white supremacy for a long time. So there's "that culture" and then there's actual hanging folks from trees and burning crosses. I wouldn't say it's as potent as those, or as a swastika, but it's not far off.

heh, @snakybus I was actually editing that comment to remove what I said, because really I'm very clumsily attempting to make the same argument that you are - namely that you can't reasonably look at another culture from half way across the world and claim to understand it well enough to condemn people who are part of it

Though perhaps I'm misrepresenting you, Benny Cake, by suggesting you are reducing country music culture to a monolith.
Yes you are misrepresenting me somewhat @snakybus, but I appreciate very much that you are at least willing to engage on what I am trying to understand! I have never proposed that country music should be boycotted en masse. I know there's an alternative scene and I am sure there are outliers that are outspokenly anti-racist etc etc, and I am also sure you could play me country music that I'd really enjoy.

Rather I am saying that I've always been a bit at odds with the overall embrace of a music that comes from a sub-culture that was openly segregationist and still has artists that flirt with that to appeal to their commercial (and probably ideological) base. I don't understand the relationship to that culture. I am sure if you pooled voter preferences by music genre in the US only country music would come out overwhelmingly pro-Trump, for example.

But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

@snakybus knows more about teh Yanks than me, but I'm pretty sure that southern US culshies use that flag to mean "yeah man I'm a rebel fuck all y'all coming down from Dublin telling us what to do".
down here we burned U2, ASLAN, SOMETHING HAPPENS, FRAMES, KODALINE, BOYZONE and SCRIPT records in protest against the Dublin hegemony

The Country N Irish scene is what it is - harmless and in fairness completely independent.
Probably the most conservative music scene here glamourises America the most. even a Paddy rapping in a NY accent doesn't come close.

I love hardcore punk more than any other genre but the youth crew / straight edge / tough guy stuff e.g. Bold, Chain Of Strength, Madball, Cro-Mags, Murphy's Law etc. never appealed to me and I own almost no records in that vein. I always think it's a bit strange to hear non US bands playing this kind of music.

Holy moly. Hick hop.

Has potential as a genre. This potential has not been met.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I watched the Nashville sonic highways last night. It wouldn't do a whole lot to make you want to listen to country music. Certainly not modern stuff anyway

Good lord
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back