Country music (4 Viewers)

I love this clip (Only Daddy...). The style, the guitar playing, his hot wife on keyboards. And making the bass player laugh right at the very end.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love this clip (Only Daddy...). The style, the guitar playing, his hot wife on keyboards. And making the bass player laugh right at the very end.

That drummers got what it takes

that is quite a clip.
what a telecaster - rope trimmings?
and the doublenecked yoke your man at the back is playing (very well).

Yeah. .wrapping guitars in leather was a big thing with those old timers. Mad!

Unrelated..the great Jerry Reid!

Last edited:
That’s the Southern Confederate flag. This is precisely the kind of shit that I don’t understand. You’re posting about folk music as the voice of injustice elsewhere and then you turn a blind eye to this kind of thing?
I don't turn a blind eye to it. I posted this in a wincing response to Johnny Raz's comment on that Maga artist.
I don't believe Shooter Jennings is a racist , no more than Dimebag Darrell is, nor does he represent the entire genre of American country music.
You have convinced yourself that the genre is inherently racist.
I disagree, and don't feel the need to discuss it further with you.

I have not convinced myself of anything Johnny, simply that I perceive that it is a genre born out of a culture that was built on slavery and racial segregation, and that there are still artists who very purposely signal their support for that.

I have not convinced myself of anything Johnny, simply that I perceive that it is a genre born out of a culture that was built on slavery and racial segregation, and that there are still artists who very purposely signal their support for that.
PS - and I wouldn’t defend Dimebag Darrell either, or assume that he or any of Pantera are bleeding heart liberals. You may have noticed some of the singer’s utterances recently?

THE LEGENDARY STARDUST COWBOY:
Paralyzed (1968)

I Took A Trip (On A Gemini Spaceship) 1968

I just realized Bowie did a horrible cover of this beautiful song on his 1990's album Heathen.

That’s the Southern Confederate flag. This is precisely the kind of shit that I don’t understand. You’re posting about folk music as the voice of injustice elsewhere and then you turn a blind eye to this kind of thing?
@snakybus knows more about teh Yanks than me, but I'm pretty sure that southern US culshies use that flag to mean "yeah man I'm a rebel fuck all y'all coming down from Dublin telling us what to do".

Yeah, what the flag should mean and what it does mean aren't the same. They need to be copped on all the same of course, but telling someone they're wrong to their face is a great way of getting them to dig in with their heels so I dunno.

@snakybus knows more about teh Yanks than me, but I'm pretty sure that southern US culshies use that flag to mean "yeah man I'm a rebel fuck all y'all coming down from Dublin telling us what to do".
Well there is that but I think there's no doubt that that flag is associated with racism. Generally I wouldn't have any time for any artist that has that that kind of association, but I am capable of making that distinction. There's plenty of country music that is against all that stuff, such as, say, John Prine's "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore".

It's worth keeping in mind that in parts of the US it isn't 'country music'. It's just 'music'. So if you consider the logic that you should perhaps boycott 'country music' because some artists in the past have racist associations or iconography, you could extend that argument and say that one should boycott all music for the same reason, which of course is absurd. Though perhaps I'm misrepresenting you, Benny Cake, by suggesting you are reducing country music culture to a monolith.

Just thinking, there was a great Citations Needed on country (pop) music and right-wing politics recently

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back