Country music (1 Viewer)

So what's the attraction to that?

it’s music, not a political campaign. you can’t explain it. we all know this. if you love it, you love it.

maybe I’m getting you wrong here, in which case please let me know. but our emotional reaction to music is not rational, nor should it be.

it’s music, not a political campaign. you can’t explain it. we all know this. if you love it, you love it.

maybe I’m getting you wrong here, in which case please let me know. but our emotional reaction to music is not rational, nor should it be.
No no I hear you. I am not arguing, only asking, as for me I can't get past the associations with the overall culture it represents. In the same way I might be intrigued to listen to black metal or certain skinhead music but I wouldn't relate to it as a genre.

I think what you're getting at is that music is a conversation, and it matters who you engage with. I think it'd be very sad if you refused to engage with a whole class of people. While it's true that most country music isn't political, or doesn't engage with politics, and indeed might even be made by lefty folk, it might arguably traditionally be listened to mostly by conservative folk. But even then the subject matter is generally about timeless human experiences. I'll put it this way - I wouldn't engage with my conservative Texan cousins on things like religion, politics, on the death penalty, or to my Montanan cousins about gun control and vaccination, say. But if they were to talk about alcoholism, longing, farming, food, family, loss, love or their dogs, I'd be right there with them. And that's what most country music is about. Equally, a lot of Irish people like country music and not, say, hip-hop or something like that is because, like the US, we have a strong rural contingent. It's rural music. That's why it's strong in places like Donegal and Mayo. And for what it's worth, the most radically-right American cousin I have lives in California and as far as I know doesn't like music much. Maybe he likes Kiss and Aerosmith, stuff like that.

That's why it's strong in places like Donegal and Mayo.

That's one thing that I found FASCINATING in lockdown that with the isolation, CMAT became the story of the year, all of a sudden everyone loves country music. I would say straight away it does help that she's an unbelievable songwriter, bit I did think about it as her perfect storm too.

I think that Taylor swift record where she dressed up like some young one from gweedore was kinda in that theme too.

On the same topic, I always suspect ambient music does better in cities because of its a great way to break the forced ambience of machinery and rural lads (i.e. Norwegians) write madly technical brutalist music to fill the ambience of the rural.

I think what you're getting at is that music is a conversation, and it matters who you engage with. I think it'd be very sad if you refused to engage with a whole class of people. While it's true that most country music isn't political, or doesn't engage with politics, and indeed might even be made by lefty folk, it might arguably traditionally be listened to mostly by conservative folk. But even then the subject matter is generally about timeless human experiences. I'll put it this way - I wouldn't engage with my conservative Texan cousins on things like religion, politics, on the death penalty, or to my Montanan cousins about gun control and vaccination, say. But if they were to talk about alcoholism, longing, farming, food, family, loss, love or their dogs, I'd be right there with them. And that's what most country music is about. Equally, a lot of Irish people like country music and not, say, hip-hop or something like that is because, like the US, we have a strong rural contingent. It's rural music. That's why it's strong in places like Donegal and Mayo. And for what it's worth, the most radically-right American cousin I have lives in California and as far as I know doesn't like music much. Maybe he likes Kiss and Aerosmith, stuff like that.
Thanks for that. I certainly wouldn't refuse to engage with a whole class of people, but equally I wouldn't be naturally drawn to it for reasons I've shared plus the ones you've shared. Cést la vie, each to their own.

PS - I hate that Kiss/Aerosmith middle America shit too, again both musically and by-association.

Playing Dublin in January

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I might have posted this before, but it sure is nice

THe incredible player Billy Strings on Jimmy Kimmel earlier in the week

an earlier incarnation

These guys were meant o play The Cobblestone. Can't see that happening now

A guest appearance by cousin Nick Shoulders

A guest appearance by cousin Nick Shoulders

Just noticed the big John Prine influence in this guys' stuff

Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives. One of the best bands I've ever seen live

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back