Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (17 Viewers)

I dunno man, it reads like something Jordan Peterson or Steven Pinker would say. Like, i'm sure Bernie doesn't give a fuck but COME ON, we shouldn't have to hack our limbs off to be allowed feel a bit shit.

I don't know Steven Pinker, is there a short version of why I should group him with Jordy.

There was a great insta story last week, a lady I know went from 'checking out these recommended books' to 'holy fuck who recommended me this peterson shit' over the course of about 4 days.

I don't know Steven Pinker, is there a short version of why I should group him with Jordy.
The link i posted should cover it, they're both advocates of the "Sure you think you have problems but consider that it was worse to be a Jewish person in Nazi Germany before you complain" argument.

i've read a few of his books from years back. i thought they were well worth a read, but they're from 15 years ago or more i'd say.
AFAIK he's veered more towards 'look, the world is actually quite good' recently, and i have one of those books but never actually started to read it.

You can either be shocked by milestones and worry about it or you can sit down and do the math and realise that nothing is going to stop escalating really until around April 4th, at which point it likely to slow down, while death numbers rise for a period after.

The numbers since 4th April have been lower so far, so it looks like the measures are working.

i've read a few of his books from years back. i thought they were well worth a read, but they're from 15 years ago or more i'd say.
AFAIK he's veered more towards 'look, the world is actually quite good' recently, and i have one of those books but never actually started to read it.
Ill read one of his recent ones and let you know. If I'm gonna moan about him i oughta be more informed

Look I know its a shock and whole change of life and all that jazz and basic civil liberties and a grand neglect of level 3-5 on the old Maslow scale.

Considering it is temporary, maybe a year, maybe less do take into consideration that for a lot of people with disabilities in the chronic pain region (LIKE ME FOR EXAMPLE) this is what life is like for months or years at a time. I'm sailing through iso because it is essentially a more liberal version of what my day to day life was like intermittently from age 25 - 34* - I have twice as much money as I did then - disabilty benifit is inline with dole in Ireland generally with a few 'perks' - Like half a million people were just put on covid dole at basically twice what disabilties are expected to live off for life - but stuff like being in the house for 14 days straight, not going to the shop because it could land you in bed for a day, avoiding the world at large - that is all very very normal for chronic pain types. Add in that normally you are in iso and nobody else is in iso so you've got sexy young people** skipping past your window every day enjoying life to the full without a care in the world.

* essentially till accupuncture
**people your own age too

Sure, it is hard, a huge change in life, a pause that is tricky, but maybe just take a bit of it as an opportunity to gain an education about how a huge portion of the country live thier entire lives - this is a temporary trip for most people.

basically if you are OK otherwise being on the dole ain't bad.
i always say, if don't have to work and you still have...

- 203 Euros a week
- good physical and mental health
- somewhere to live (inc own bedroom)
- a computer with good internet
- a pair of good runners to go walking in....

then you are doing well !
'cause, many people don't have all of those things
and some of those things you just can't buy.

also- people under 25 only get feck all benefit money - which is shameful.

I was at a lecture of his last year or so, and pretty much.

It was a bit depressing, he just ripped off the lectures of that Swedish statistician.... Emmm. Hans Rosling I think? He rehashed Hans' work, doubled down on the "yerra look, everything's grand like" aspects, took a few questions and made a break for it.

It wasn't very inspiring. But, it got me to drag my itchy arse down to the lecture hall, and now I can proudly relate to others how I saw the very man himself. The Pinker. With my own eyes.

i think it was him who copped some flak for agreeing with the 'rape is about sex, not power' argument - would have been in his book 'the blank slate' IIRC. which i thought was a good read.

This might be distressing for some but a look inside an ICU unit and shows the incredible work the doctors and nurses are doing

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

mother of god, if this is true?
A study of 178 countries by an Irish medical consultant working with epidemiologists at the University of Texas in Houston shows countries with vaccination programmes – including Ireland – have far fewer coronavirus cases by a factor 10, compared to where BCG programmes are no longer deployed.

This translates into a death rate up to 20-times less, according to urologist Paul Hegarty of the Mater Hospital, Dublin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back